lots of posturing going on now

Reaction score
agents for coaches trying to sweeten the pot with current schools, Gophers top candidate is still in play!

It is about time! What took you so long? Give us some more hints.

Is the Gophers' top candidate's team still playing?

Plenty of great candidates left, but you have to think Shaka was our first choice

I've been waiting since the first day after for a Crazy Joe post. I am now fully satisfied with this coaching search and it can end now.

Forgive my ignorance, but how would you know this?

Yeah, people are completely gullible if they believe all of these NEW VCU/Richmond posters have all this insight into a Minnesota coaching search. They are just trollign this board for a laugh.

I have no doubt that Stevens would be atop the Gophers' wish list, but I still have yet to see any reason why he'd be interested (beyond the "Stevens is unhappy with the Butler AD and is friends with Gophers' staff persons" speculation).

This is the longest shortest coaching search of all time

Why don't you ask "your source"?

My guy is a FB donor and as I alluded too in my previous posts that is what he was hearing. And, BTW, he is a stand up guy, Long time friend of the family that we sat next to for years as season ticket holders (FB games). I just was sharing what he was hearing. I never once said that he was a great source.

Who is there number 1 target then? I've heard from local beat writers that it's Brad Stevens, is that correct?
Yep. Has been since before Tubby was fired. Full court press to get him.

Coaching's a small world. As you saw with the Tubby firing, Norwood's ship isn't exactly leak proof. If he pulls it off, he's an instant legend. Good luck to you guys. I'm rooting for it to happen for my own selfish reasons.

Yeah, people are completely gullible if they believe all of these NEW VCU/Richmond posters have all this insight into a Minnesota coaching search. They are just trollign this board for a laugh.
Except I've been saying the same two things since I started posting here: 1) Shaka would not be going to work for Norwood again and 2) Stevens was the #1 target from the start. Shaka didn't come, and now your local sports journos are picking up on Stevens and the Goetz connection. I'm 2/2, and besides, what do I profit from "trolling" you? I have no ill will against the Gopher faithful. You've been the classiest bunch of all the fanbases of the schools that have tried to poach Shaka. You seem like good people and I just enjoy talking basketball and the coaching carousel.

Yep. Has been since before Tubby was fired. Full court press to get him.

Coaching's a small world. As you saw with the Tubby firing, Norwood's ship isn't exactly leak proof. If he pulls it off, he's an instant legend. Good luck to you guys. I'm rooting for it to happen for my own selfish reasons.

Thanks, I hope you're right!

Except I've been saying the same two things since I started posting here: 1) Shaka would not be going to work for Norwood again and 2) Stevens was the #1 target from the start. Shaka didn't come, and now your local sports journos are picking up on Stevens and the Goetz connection. I'm 2/2, and besides, what do I profit from "trolling" you? I have no ill will against the Gopher faithful. You've been the classiest bunch of all the fanbases of the schools that have tried to poach Shaka. You seem like good people and I just enjoy talking basketball and the coaching carousel.

The two things you've been saying were obvious and/or impossible to prove. Shaka was never going to come here (obvious) and Stevens is a top target for any school right out of the gates and there is no way to prove that he was the #1, #2, #5 etc. target. So anyone could have said those two things and considered themselves an "insider."

Brad could also get a decent market demand raise and a few more dollars for recruiting at Butler, too.

Call me cynical on this one.

The two things you've been saying were obvious and/or impossible to prove. Shaka was never going to come here (obvious) and Stevens is a top target for any school right out of the gates and there is no way to prove that he was the #1, #2, #5 etc. target. So anyone could have said those two things and considered themselves an "insider."

I'm not sure it was obvious that Shaka wasn't going to come here, so the dude did give good info on that. I, for one, honestly believed we had a reasonable chance. And Stevens being the number 1 target isn't necessarily obvious, either. Clearly, any program in the country would love to have him, but number 1 target implies that the U has some reason to believe that it's a possibility. I still don't think the VCU guy has put forward much reason to believe that it is possible, but I don't think we have to dismiss him out of hand. He hasn't been obviously trolling.

I could get behind a "Where is Brad Stevens and/or Brad Stevens News" type of a thread. The other guys, I just don't have it in me!

The thing is, Norwood obviously talks to this person from Butler. This person from Butler possibly still does or definitely did at one time talk to Stevens regularly. I am guessing they'd have some idea as to truly how available Brad is. Assuming he is target number 1.

Same with Shaka, Norwood knows Shaka. He has seen schools do what MN was rumored to be trying to do countless times. So that leaves two options. Norwood was simply so confident in himself he ignored everything he knew about Shaka under the assumption of "I can do this" or the big Shaka push was all speculation and/or intentional leaks from the dept for whatever reason you'd like to choose and/or Shaka played him for whatever reason and made him think he'd take it for sure.

Keep up the fun when no one knows a damned thing. But the opinions are golden. The main thing is, let's keep having fun in all of this speculation the way richmondinsider had us on the Shaka Smart News Thread. This may be hard to believe, but I drank less Jack all during that thread, because I did not have time to take a drink, lest I would miss another humorous comment.

We need more richmondinsider type threads around here.

The thing is, Norwood obviously talks to this person from Butler. This person from Butler possibly still does or definitely did at one time talk to Stevens regularly. I am guessing they'd have some idea as to truly how available Brad is. Assuming he is target number 1.

Same with Shaka, Norwood knows Shaka. He has seen schools do what MN was rumored to be trying to do countless times. So that leaves two options. Norwood was simply so confident in himself he ignored everything he knew about Shaka under the assumption of "I can do this" or the big Shaka push was all speculation and/or intentional leaks from the dept for whatever reason you'd like to choose.

So why are we listening to Brad Stevens rumors from a VCU fan?

But anyone didn't say them, did they? I did. What a lot of people did say was just regurgitation about Shaka and Norwood's "great relationship." How'd that turn out? Believe what you want, but I'm the first person who referenced Goetz on these boards, and looky looky- people in Minneapolis covering the UM coaching search are starting to piece the connection together.

Do you really think I sit around all day tracking Butler's administrative staff movements? I knew about her because the move was a means to Norwood's desired end. Like I said, Brad's been the target from the start and Goetz was step one.

So why are we listening to Brad Stevens rumors from a VCU fan?

Not saying we should be.

Just pointing out his rumors aren't anything crazy, but that they could have some merit to them. Obviously Stevens is the #1 target for any school. I just can't believe NT, who is very connected to the coaching world, would pursue a coach he knew he had no chance at.

Top Bottom