Lost recruit you agonized the most over?

Hammonds and Rice...both were long and drawn out recuiting battles. Speaking of Georgia Tech, Bruce Darlerimple was another one we finished second on. Info on recruiting was much tougher to get back in those days and Sid and Shooter were in there glory.

Glen Rice could have been the difference maker for us.

sal, I never knew that about Dalrymple. He certainly picked a great spot as he was the perfect complement to Mark Price. It is amazing to think that it was only about 10 years ago that I knew which days Shooter had a column and I buy the Pi Press just to get even the tiniest tibit.

cduff I can't believe I forgot Webber.

I'm good friends with Aldrich, and he has said word for word, "If Tubby was the coach when I was being recruited, I would be a Gopher most likely. Monson turned me away."
That being said, he loves KU to death and it is awesome to see him having the type of success he has had so far. I hope the T-wolves have a chance at him, Pryzbilla x10. Just what they need to make up for the lack of inside D on the current wolves roster.

I'm good friends with Aldrich, and he has said word for word, "If Tubby was the coach when I was being recruited, I would be a Gopher most likely. Monson turned me away."
That being said, he loves KU to death and it is awesome to see him having the type of success he has had so far. I hope the T-wolves have a chance at him, Pryzbilla x10. Just what they need to make up for the lack of inside D on the current wolves roster.

Is that you Sid?

This was something I wondered about when Tubby was hired. If that scenario had played out and we got Tubby a year earlier, its entirely possible that we would be the team talking possible final four appearances for this season. Funny how things work out huh?;)

Adrian Dantly, Chris Webber, Khalid El Amin

I'm pretty sure Cole has admitted or hinted to that in an article I read a while back. I can't blame him. Truthfully I wouldn't have wanted to play for Monson either. Seemed like a good guy but even back in high school we used to wonder what in the world he was doing offensively. It often looked like he had no grasp of offensive basketball at all.

I did not realize that Rice was close to being a Gopher. Now knowing that... he would have to be my pick. El Amin would be right up there too.

Anyone remember Ryan Amoroso? He went to Marquette. He would have been one of better starters and him and Tollackson would have been a solid 4 and 5.

Ben Coleman was a Gopher for one year and was surprisingly effective. However Dutcher was committed to Cookie Holmes who was a very similar player. Coleman transfered to Maryland where he was all ACC and had a much better career than Holmes did at UM.

Clem claimed to be on the verge of signing Chris Webber when Rick Bey the AD ordered him to suspend the recruitment of Webber. Webber had entered a private suite at the Target Center during a Wolves game on his visit to the U. This was a recruiting violation and Bey was sweating a possible penalty to the bball team. In hindsight you have to wonder whether Clem had a real chance considering how much Webber wound up being paid to play for Michigan.

One aspect of Tubby that I appreciate is that even if he misses on his top recruits he still signs some pretty good players. Clem would come in second on some real big time recruits and end up signing a much weaker talent. I won't comment on Monson. Dutcher seemed to sign a steady supply of strong talent.

El Amin. Without a doubt the program's all time biggest miss.

The decommitment, the buzzer beater in the state championship, <b>the Archambeault story coming out later</b> ... it all added to the legend. And then he goes on to win an NCAA championship (wasn't he Final Four mvp or something, or all tourney team?)

Aldrich wouldn't have mattered so much if he had gone pro last year as expected. The fact that he's coming back for a 3rd year makes his loss pretty big too, though I think we wouldn't have gotten Sampson and Iverson.

what story would that be?

One aspect of Tubby that I appreciate is that even if he misses on his top recruits he still signs some pretty good players. Clem would come in second on some real big time recruits and end up signing a much weaker talent. I won't comment on Monson. Dutcher seemed to sign a steady supply of strong talent.

Actually he often signs HIS top recruits. Others may not consider them "top" recruits but he does.

Like any coach, he misses more than he doesn't in recruiting. But he nailed his #1 target at Georgia in 1997 (Jumaine Jones). And UK in 1998 (Tay Prince) and 1999 (Keith Bogans or Marvin Stone). Plus 2001 (Rashaad Carruth) and 2002 (Antwain Barbour). And 2004 (Randolph Morris or Joe Crwaford).

And (of course) Royce White in 2009 for Minnesota.

Coming in second on a top recruit can be a very bad situation especially if a coach concentrated on that recruit and really expected to sign him. A classic case was Dean Smith who went all out attempting to sign Kenny Anderson such that he didn't go hard for his second choice Bobby Hurley. Anderson signed with Ga Tech and Hurley "felt the love" more from Coach K than he did from Dean Smith. Duke proceeded todominate UNC for several years as UNC suffered at the pg position.

Top Bottom