Local press on Canadian trip

alchemy2u

Reaction score
What is the deal with the local press and zero coverage of this trip?

I don't expect front page articles, but their is absolutely nothing in the PPress about the games. They don't even have the BB team listed in their sports calendar. At least post the scores!!!!

What is embarassing is that South Dakota State played some Winnepeg Canadian college teams last week, and the Sioux Falls paper sent their beat writer up there. There was better coverage for SDSU than there is for the U. Ridiculous.

I do agree somewhat, but let's be realistic...these are pre-preseason games and the Twins are in a division race and the Vikes are always the talk of the town this time of the year. Additionally, I'm guessing SD sports reporters don't have much else on their plate.

If SDSU went to Western Canada, would the coverage have been the same as the Winnipeg trip? Let's face it, Winnipeg is drivable, Vancouver is not.

If SDSU went to Western Canada, would the coverage have been the same as the Winnipeg trip? Let's face it, Winnipeg is drivable, Vancouver is not.

That might be true, but I would also expect the Strib to have a bigger travel budget than the Sioux Falls Argus Leader.

That might be true, but I would also expect the Strib to have a bigger travel budget than the Sioux Falls Argus Leader.

They most certainly do. And, most of that budget is targeted to travel a guy to 82 road games for the Twins, 41 road games for the Wild, 41 road games for the Timberwolves, 8 road games for the Vikings, 5 Gopher football road games, and about 15 road Gopher basketball games...plus post-season play in all of that.

Anyone who thought the Strib would send a guy to cover three absolute blowout exhibition wins 2000+ miles away just does not understand what is happening in the newspaper industry. In fact, even when the newspaper industry was flourishing, I doubt they would send someone to cover these games.

They most certainly do. And, most of that budget is targeted to travel a guy to 82 road games for the Twins, 41 road games for the Wild, 41 road games for the Timberwolves, 8 road games for the Vikings, 5 Gopher football road games, and about 15 road Gopher basketball games...plus post-season play in all of that.

Anyone who thought the Strib would send a guy to cover three absolute blowout exhibition wins 2000+ miles away just does not understand what is happening in the newspaper industry. In fact, even when the newspaper industry was flourishing, I doubt they would send someone to cover these games.

Cincinnati Enquirer DIDN'T send anyone to Canada to cover UC exhibitions this weekend, either. Reds and Bengals get priority.

What is the deal with the local press and zero coverage of this trip?

I don't expect front page articles, but their is absolutely nothing in the PPress about the games. They don't even have the BB team listed in their sports calendar. At least post the scores!!!!

I put some thoughts here, if you're looking for someone else's thoughts on the games. If you're just ranting about the local press, I can't help you.

It's a little ridiculous to think they should've sent someone, but they should've at least put something in the paper. You don't need to be there to put a very general summary and some stats and/or box score.

It's a little ridiculous to think they should've sent someone, but they should've at least put something in the paper. You don't need to be there to put a very general summary and some stats and/or box score.

That is my point exactly..... They didn't even acknowledge that the games took place. At least pick up the game stats from a paper in Canada!!!!!

There should have at least been some local hockey beat writers, since the Gophs played on converted hockey rinks.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr (Victoria)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/102207364.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUr (Trinity Western)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/102118029.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUr (UBC)

Add these snippets to the Gophersports coverage (and the on-line links to the actual games) and I'd say that is sufficient coverage of a pre-season, non-non-conference basketball excursion during a college football/Labor Day holiday weekend.

That is my point exactly..... They didn't even acknowledge that the games took place. At least pick up the game stats from a paper in Canada!!!!!

They had write-ups in the paper. You must not have looked close enough.

I had the short writeups in my Star Tribune at home.

But if you don't live in the metro, you might not have gotten it in your paper because of the game times.

I also saw Myron tweet that he wasn't going on the trip because he is on paternity leave after the birth of their second child. So congrats to he and his wife.

Top Bottom