Living in Shanghai -- Any suggestions on watching games?

OmahaGopher

Reaction score
My work moved me to Shanghai and I'll be staying here until November 14th. It's a fun place to live, but I'm in mourning as it has been my dream for the past 10+ years to be able to attend the first game back on campus and out of the dome. To make matters worst, I don't really know if there's a good way to watch the game from China.

I've looked into Slingbox, but China is not one of the countries that Slingbox is available to be used in (I'm sure it may have something to do with the censorship laws), so that really isn't an option. There are a few sports bars in Shanghai that cater to expats, but I'm not sure yet if they'll have college games or if they only will have limited NFL games. I wish that Big 10 Network would offer streaming of games through their website (for a price of course ;)), but I doubt they would be smart enough to think about that as an additional revenue stream.

Has anyone lived in Shanghai or other parts of China/Asia during the football season and have ideas on how to watch games? My other option may be to have someone back home pick up a DVD-R and record the games and ship them to me weekly to be able to watch them, albeit signifcantly delayed.

I can't help you out with your Shanghai problem, but look on the bright side...you will be about as far away from Wren as humanly possible (on earth).

I was just in Shanghai. I talked to a guy there who watched Packer games at Big Bamboo in Puxi. You should go there and ask about Gopher games. BUt your mention of bars that cater to expats may be a reference to Big Bamboo. Regardless, can't hurt to ask.

When i was in Europe overseas, we had AFN decoder boxes. You had to out up a direct tv type dish though. If you are interested, message me and i can give you the details on how to get your hands on one.

I can't afford cable so I watch games on Justin.tv

It takes some searching but most college games are on there. They are hosted by people who stream their cable feed over the internet, and it's not totally legal, but it works.

I was just in Shanghai. I talked to a guy there who watched Packer games at Big Bamboo in Puxi. You should go there and ask about Gopher games. BUt your mention of bars that cater to expats may be a reference to Big Bamboo. Regardless, can't hurt to ask.

Omaha:
I did a quick Google search and came up with a few links:
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/index.php?name=MDForum&file=viewtopic&t=48649
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/index....ic&t=43528&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=125
http://www.jonatshanghai.com/?p=81

It definitely looks like Big Bamboo might be the place to start. Also, if you're techie I'd take a look at the 3rd link for some computer based options.

When I read the post initially, I felt fairly angry as some of the "tools" sound. It's hard to forget that some of us would kill for a job that would let us work in whatever state we are in, let alone halfway around the world. Sorry, but trying to find somewhere to watch the Gophers is the last thing on people's lists of things to worry about. The fan in Shanghai might have been caught off guard with some of the responses, but in this economy, be glad you actually have income coming in, and you can support your family, AND be in a position to worry about college football that will happen 3 months from now. Some of us don't know where our next $100 for bills are coming from.

Wow. Some pretty rude responses for a guy who's just looking to watch the Gophers this fall. I don't even see his wording as complaining-he says he's enjoying the experience of living in Shanghai. As a fellow ex-pat, who moved entirely under my own volition to Peru, I realize it's my choice, I realize I have a pretty fortunate life, and I realize there are people in pretty dire circumstances back in the States; it doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to be on campus this fall or see the games on TV. I read this post with interest to see if there was some route to watch the games that I haven't explored before; instead, I see several posts taking shots at this guy because he's not properly thankful for having a job or because he used the wrong terminology in referring to his job placement in China.

Continue to enjoy your experience in Shanghai, Omaha and if you do come across a way, via the internet, to watch the games this fall please share.

I live in Korea and have had problems finding Gopher games online. You can watch the games that are on ESPN 360 however (and sometimes the games on ESPN carry over onto ESPN 360 as well.) Just get a VPN from the U and go through that so you can sign on to ESPN 360. This is assuming that you still have your UofM ID and password. Works very slick for using HULU (online American TV) as well overseas. Now, finding games on BTN might be more difficult. You can use justin.tv or athde.net bit they don't always show everything. There is also a program called Sopcast for those who use PC's. Just search around and you should find something. Living in Seoul there are certain bars that show big games. I even know of some bars that tape them (NHL games at the Canadian bar) off of Slingbox and then play them back at times when people are actually awake.

Glad I don't have to go through that mess this year since I'll be back to use my tickets at TCF. Good luck Omaha.

Slingbox

If you have cable, DTV or Dish in Omaha, and a High Speed connection in China, you might want to look into Slingbox

When I read the post initially, I felt fairly angry as some of the "tools" sound. It's hard to forget that some of us would kill for a job that would let us work in whatever state we are in, let alone halfway around the world. Sorry, but trying to find somewhere to watch the Gophers is the last thing on people's lists of things to worry about. The fan in Shanghai might have been caught off guard with some of the responses, but in this economy, be glad you actually have income coming in, and you can support your family, AND be in a position to worry about college football that will happen 3 months from now. Some of us don't know where our next $100 for bills are coming from.

You seriously just posted this? Just because you might be out of a job doesn't mean someone can't post a question about where to watch the Gophers in China.

Sign up at Ten Yard Torrents. I used this to get a few gopher games when I was living abroad. The only thing is you have to avoid all news and live info, as the games are not posted until after their completion.

You seriously just posted this? Just because you might be out of a job doesn't mean someone can't post a question about where to watch the Gophers in China.

My post was more or less directed to the responses directed at those who were labeled as "tools" (whose posts were deleted). My goal was to try to help others understand why there might be some anger directed towards someone asking a question such as where to watch a game in China.

As we've seen with some other posters (wren specifically) anyone can post what they want to, whether it's justified or not. If I sounded like one of those tools, then I appologize, that was not my intent.

My post was more or less directed to the responses directed at those who were labeled as "tools" (whose posts were deleted). My goal was to try to help others understand why there might be some anger directed towards someone asking a question such as where to watch a game in China.

As we've seen with some other posters (wren specifically) anyone can post what they want to, whether it's justified or not. If I sounded like one of those tools, then I appologize, that was not my intent.

Hey now, some of us got our posts deleted b/c we wrote something ill advised directed at the tools at 2am after getting home from a wedding reception where too much "fun" was had. If that makes me a tool then...I guess I'm a tool. ;)

Thanks to everyone for your replies to my original post, positive or otherwise. To say the least, it has been amusing and educational to see the responses.

I appreciate that some fans on this board can provide some feedback to a fellow Gopher fan that has been following this team for years, had a brother that was a four-year starter on the team, and can provide me with some help during the off-season at a time when this post would not get lost in the constant barrage of posts that happens during the regular season.

At first glance, if I was an outsider, I would have thought that people were responding to me as though I was asking how to watch the NDSU or Iowa games over here, not someone that IS a fan of the same team as the rest of you. ;)

I am thankful that I am in a position where I have an opportunity like this to travel to a far away place and see the other side of the world for a household-name Fortune 500 company (hence, the reason that I wouldn't balk at the opportunity to advance my career further with this company, nor even think about quitting my job over this opportunity), while also having a chance for my wife and I to stack away some chips for our future at the same time. I am also thankful to still have a job in this economy and that this is one among my worries. Last Fall, my company had to let go of 10% of our global workforce and it was not easy to watch several of my close friends at my company and at other institutions lose their jobs due to the state of the economy.

Again, thanks everyone for your help. If anyone has other ideas, please let me know.

And for those of you that get to be there on September 12th - enjoy it and remember the Gopher fans both far away and not with us anymore that were unable to cherish the same opportunity as you -- you are a fortunate few!

SKI-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

I might be there with you...

...might be just in Beijing though too.

Haven't nailed it down yet.

I'll be looking for the same things...might have to do the online thing. I wonder what the latency will do over the web.

Thanks for all the information.

GM

Top Bottom