little 2011 recruiting update

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
Gophers are currently sitting in very good position with Cedar Rapids SG Josh Oglesby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwFRPTAdbJw&feature=related

They want either Jesperson or Oglesby and have offered and really like both. Right now Jesperson may be slipping away to Virginia, but MN is sitting atop Oglesby's list.

The Gophers also like his Cedar Rapids teammate, 6'8 Jarrod Uthoff, but so do a long list of other schools plus the Gophers have yet to offer. Getting JO would certianly help with Uthoff if they make a strong push for him.

I know Nadine has an interview coming with Ross Travis after last nights 43 Hoops vs. Pump N Run game and just saw these you tube videos of Ross, if he can only stay healthy, he could be big time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO1Hv3w_590&feature=related

Tubby and co. cannot let Jesperson slip. Hes going to be a big time player, Oglesby, well he might be good, but I think Jesperson is a sure thing. I will lose all faith in Tubby's recruiting ability if we lose Jesperson, and/or Coleman. Those would be 2 big blows.

I would like to add that I'm also impressed with Travis, as to why we haven't offered, I have no clue. Maybe tubby is thinking he already has Rodney and he needs a shooter hence the Oglesby and Jesperson offers. Ross is gonna be special though.

Jesperson apparently played rather well at the Virginia elite camp, and was offered by Tony Bennett at the recommendation of his father, Dick. Sounds like Paul could have a few more Big 10 offers in the near future as well.

Uthoff currently has offers from UW, Illinois and Iowa, among others. I will be surprised if he does not end up in the Big 10.

Here is what I posted on the Badger board after last night's 43 Hoops / PNR game:

"My primary interest in this game was Ross Travis, the 6’7” SF from Chaska who plays with 43 Hoops. Travis definitely looks the part, as he has good height, long arms and is a very good athlete. Warm-ups were essentially a dunk contest, with Travis throwing down some rather impressive slams. When I watched Travis this past winter, I was very impressed with his ball-handling and passing, as he truly is a perimeter player, even at 6’7”. He apparently did a decent amount of ball-handling for Chaska during the season, and he did so again tonight. He did not shoot the ball real well this evening, though he did hit a big 3 down the stretch in the second half after PnR had cut into 43 Hoops’ lead. One thing I did not notice last time was that he pulls the ball back a little far before he releases the shot. It’s not a sling shot from behind the head, but it’s also not a text book release. If he’s going to be a SF at the next level, which I definitely think he can be, that may be something that needs a little improvement. I was also very impressed with his defense. With his height and length, and how well he moves, he could be a great perimeter defender, both on the ball and in the passing lanes. He did a very solid job in one-on-one situations this evening, and was in good help-side position to draw a couple charges. The knock on Travis has been his lack of productivity, which was the case again tonight. He very little to be noticed in the first half, save for drawing one charge, but he was mixing it up physically in the second half, scored on a tough 3-point play and hit the 3 mentioned above on his way to 12 second half points. For me personally, the things I would look for in a SF are solid athleticism and an ability to do a little bit of everything on the court. Travis fits into that mold very well. That said, his only high major offers to date are Iowa St. and Oregon St., neither of which are very prominent in their respective conferences. Not sure what is missing, but he just need to put things together to be a consistent producer. If that happens, he could be a great prospect, maybe the best in Minnesota’s 2011 class because of his size and versatility.

With UW only having one scholarship left for 2011 and Travis without a Badger offer, I don’t know if or how seriously the UW staff is pursuing Ross. I did talk to a few people I trust tonight, and it doesn’t sound like UW has been real active in Travis’ recruitment of late. I think it’s fair to say he’s down the priority list a bit, behind Jarrod Uthoff at the very least, and probably Sam Dekker as well in light of his offer tonight. However, I do hope the Badgers continue to monitor him in case they miss on the guys they have offered."

When I read "little 2011 recruiting update" I thought we offered a midget.

I am really not liking how 2011 is shaping up for Gophers recruiting. We absolutely need a top 4-5 in the conference type class to come in after last year.

Gophers are currently sitting in very good position with Cedar Rapids SG Josh Oglesby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwFRPTAdbJw&feature=related

They want either Jesperson or Oglesby and have offered and really like both. Right now Jesperson may be slipping away to Virginia, but MN is sitting atop Oglesby's list.

The Gophers also like his Cedar Rapids teammate, 6'8 Jarrod Uthoff, but so do a long list of other schools plus the Gophers have yet to offer. Getting JO would certianly help with Uthoff if they make a strong push for him.

I know Nadine has an interview coming with Ross Travis after last nights 43 Hoops vs. Pump N Run game and just saw these you tube videos of Ross, if he can only stay healthy, he could be big time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO1Hv3w_590&feature=related

Hoopmasters on Oglesby:

The top junior in the state of Iowa, 6-4 combo Josh Oglesby has seen interest start to pick up.

We had a chance to catch-up with Iowa Barnstormers Director Jamie Johnson and he filled us in on the recruiting of his top junior, and the top junior in the state of Iowa, 6-4 175-pound combo guard Josh Oglesby of Cedar Rapids Washington.

"Josh has been to Kansas, Wisconsin, Creighton, Iowa and UNI for unofficial visits," Coach Johnson told Hoopmasters. "He will travel to Illinois on Valentines Day to see the Illini."

"He is also getting interest from Minnesota, Iowa State, and Indiana State too," Johnson continued. "Kansas, Creighton, Northern Iowa, Iowa, Iowa State, and Illinois have been to see him practice or play during the last couple weeks. He's wide-open and just taking everything in at this time."

Josh missed a number of games earlier this season, but has returned with a re-newed focus and has been averaging 19 points (16.6ppg overall) and 4 assists in January. He is an excellent shooter who can create off the dribble or knock down three from deep. He is an excellent passer who has all the tools to play either guard spot in college. Its that versatility that has brought the above interest.

He is pushing for a top one hundred spot and should earn one with a solid spring with the Barnstormers.

And (More From Hoopmasters)

Jarrod Uthoff 6-7 PF/WF (2011) Cedar Rapids, IA Jefferson - He has solid facing skills and range to three that makes him a versatile combo type forward. he had 11 points and 7 boards in loss to East in the quarters. He has a lot of similarities to Adam Koch (MVC MVP) in high school. He had Wichita State and Northern Iowa (offered this past week) there to watch him and has also heard from Iowa State, Creighton, Indiana State, Iowa, and Colorado State.

(AND)

Josh Oglesby 6-4 SG/PG (2011) Cedar Rapids, IA Washington - This skilled combo guard has all the tools to run the point at the high major level if he can add strength and some explosion to go with his ability to knock down jumper, handle and deliver rock to open man. He's a pass first guard who has to learn to take over and dominate at times. He had 15 points versus Ames, and definitely impressed Illinois, Wichita State, and Northern Iowa who were there to watch him play. Illinois, Wichita State, and Northern Iowa were in to watch him in Des Moines and he is also hearing from Kansas, Wisconsin, Creighton, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Indiana State.

Thanks for the update Johnny. I think folks are trying to play arm chair coach / recruiters of late. Last I checked, Bo rarely lands a top rated recruiting class yet they seem to win pretty much every year. I think Tubby is every bit the coach that Bo is so I am no worried ONE BIT. People need to remember, we have a good coach...this is not the Monson years. Tubby is going to land a top rated class every so often but he doesn't need to to win. He needs to have players that can play and that he can coach up.

To these folks I say...get back to me after we start missing the tourney with regularity. That has not been the case yet.

I am really not liking how 2011 is shaping up for Gophers recruiting. We absolutely need a top 4-5 in the conference type class to come in after last year.

How can that happen? Have we even one 4 star player that actually has interest? Our recruiting area has definately shrunk as Iowa now seems to be our southern limit. It's like they've given up trying to recruit, expect an 8th, 9th or 10th place in the Big Ten recruiting battles.

Johnny Gopher ..

Is there a final update on Royce White?

Thanks.

Thanks for the update Johnny. I think folks are trying to play arm chair coach / recruiters of late. Last I checked, Bo rarely lands a top rated recruiting class yet they seem to win pretty much every year. I think Tubby is every bit the coach that Bo is so I am no worried ONE BIT. People need to remember, we have a good coach...this is not the Monson years. Tubby is going to land a top rated class every so often but he doesn't need to to win. He needs to have players that can play and that he can coach up.

To these folks I say...get back to me after we start missing the tourney with regularity. That has not been the case yet.

We're paying Coach Smith too much money for a 4-5th place finish and a bubble performance. He's coming off one disappointing recruiting class (good on paper, bad on getting players in uniform), and another that's fair to call questionable.

The jury's still out in my eyes. He recruited his first two years, we'll see if there's a trend. Maybe floating his unhappiness about his facility situation to the national media and having his name appear with every opening is catching-up to him.

We're paying Coach Smith too much money for a 4-5th place finish and a bubble performance. He's coming off one disappointing recruiting class (good on paper, bad on getting players in uniform), and another that's fair to call questionable.

The jury's still out in my eyes. He recruited his first two years, we'll see if there's a trend. Maybe floating his unhappiness about his facility situation to the national media and having his name appear with every opening is catching-up to him.

Agree. Tubby is getting paid to produce more than middle of the pack Big Ten results. So far, Tubby has underwhelmed in recruiting outside of MN. This yearsteam looks like a middle of the Big Ten team again unless Mbwake plays. Losing the WI kid to VA of all places would be a bad sign.

My expectations were to high

When Tubby came in and got that first recruiting class, I thought it was signs of things to come. I thought we'd have one like that at least every other year. Then I had visions of big ten championships and long tourney runs.

I have revaluated my expectations. I think we will have average recruits for the big ten. We will make the tourney most years and might even with a game. I don't see us winning to many conference championships anymore. We will definitely be a notch above what Monson gave us. But to expect us to challenge the Michigan St, Purdue, and Ohio St. year in and out just doesnt look like its going to happen.

I watched the Ross Travis video. Looks like a good talented prospect. A 6'7" player at 205 lbs with perimeter skills. Sounds like he doesnt put up great numbers? He looks like he has a great spin move, good passing skills, and a decent athlete.

How can that happen? Have we even one 4 star player that actually has interest? Our recruiting area has definately shrunk as Iowa now seems to be our southern limit. It's like they've given up trying to recruit, expect an 8th, 9th or 10th place in the Big Ten recruiting battles.

Actually 3 have interest - Coleman, Jesperson, and Oglesby. They are considered the #1 seniors in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa (respectively). Each expected to wind up Top 100 or better.

Great post. Thank you.

Go Gophers

Actually 3 have interest - Coleman, Jesperson, and Oglesby. They are considered the #1 seniors in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa (respectively). Each expected to wind up Top 100 or better.

Consider #1 by some... I think each has a chance to flirt with being a Top 100, but expected might be a stretch.

I was at the game two nights ago as well... Ross' highlights of the night were probably during the pregame dunks, but he had a good looking second half.

Was pleased to see National Champion Carlos Emory on the floor for PNR.. early on, he threw down a pretty jam on an alley oop and with his athleticism certainly had his moments.. but, overall kind of frustrating. Looked a little bit disinterested and/or frustrated at times, and other times too interested (i.e. forcing and turning it over and missing shots).

He was a big part of Howard's championship season so he's shown he can be a winner. If he can put it all together consistently, could be a nice player for someone. Looking forward to seeing more of him in person this summer.

Well I like the sound of Oglesby, but I wish we'd land Jesperson, Coleman, and maybe a PG or PF, whos with me on that? I think if not Jesperson and Coleman, Travis and Oglesby aren't bad backups.

Coleman and Jesperson are definitely the two guys I want the most (out of the guys we have a realistic chance at).

I would think they have to lock up Coleman. With Jesperson mentioning Virginia in his interview and heading out there to the camp in lieu of a camp in Wisconsin (IIRC), makes me wonder.

From what people are saying on recruiting websites and just in general, it sounds like Oglesby can play some point. Imagine that line up, PG=oglesby SG=Coleman SF= Jesperson PF= Eliason C= Walker, (this lineup is ofcourse down the road when these guys are juniors and seniors) those guys can all hit the outside shot, this would really strech the D

Jesperson apparently played rather well at the Virginia elite camp, and was offered by Tony Bennett at the recommendation of his father, Dick. Sounds like Paul could have a few more Big 10 offers in the near future as well.

Uthoff currently has offers from UW, Illinois and Iowa, among others. I will be surprised if he does not end up in the Big 10.

Here is what I posted on the Badger board after last night's 43 Hoops / PNR game:

"My primary interest in this game was Ross Travis, the 6’7” SF from Chaska who plays with 43 Hoops. Travis definitely looks the part, as he has good height, long arms and is a very good athlete. Warm-ups were essentially a dunk contest, with Travis throwing down some rather impressive slams. When I watched Travis this past winter, I was very impressed with his ball-handling and passing, as he truly is a perimeter player, even at 6’7”. He apparently did a decent amount of ball-handling for Chaska during the season, and he did so again tonight. He did not shoot the ball real well this evening, though he did hit a big 3 down the stretch in the second half after PnR had cut into 43 Hoops’ lead. One thing I did not notice last time was that he pulls the ball back a little far before he releases the shot. It’s not a sling shot from behind the head, but it’s also not a text book release. If he’s going to be a SF at the next level, which I definitely think he can be, that may be something that needs a little improvement. I was also very impressed with his defense. With his height and length, and how well he moves, he could be a great perimeter defender, both on the ball and in the passing lanes. He did a very solid job in one-on-one situations this evening, and was in good help-side position to draw a couple charges. The knock on Travis has been his lack of productivity, which was the case again tonight. He very little to be noticed in the first half, save for drawing one charge, but he was mixing it up physically in the second half, scored on a tough 3-point play and hit the 3 mentioned above on his way to 12 second half points. For me personally, the things I would look for in a SF are solid athleticism and an ability to do a little bit of everything on the court. Travis fits into that mold very well. That said, his only high major offers to date are Iowa St. and Oregon St., neither of which are very prominent in their respective conferences. Not sure what is missing, but he just need to put things together to be a consistent producer. If that happens, he could be a great prospect, maybe the best in Minnesota’s 2011 class because of his size and versatility.

With UW only having one scholarship left for 2011 and Travis without a Badger offer, I don’t know if or how seriously the UW staff is pursuing Ross. I did talk to a few people I trust tonight, and it doesn’t sound like UW has been real active in Travis’ recruitment of late. I think it’s fair to say he’s down the priority list a bit, behind Jarrod Uthoff at the very least, and probably Sam Dekker as well in light of his offer tonight. However, I do hope the Badgers continue to monitor him in case they miss on the guys they have offered."

I mentioned this in a post a while back, Tony Bennett grew up playing basketball with Jesperson's coach Kurt Soderberg. Soderberg's brother Brad, coached with and played for Dick Bennett at UWSP and UW. That is one of the main reasons Jesperson has Virginia at the top of his list currently. FYI Virginia had a solid class last year and is building on that. I don't expect us to be seeing them toward the bottom of the ACC too much longer.

From what people are saying on recruiting websites and just in general, it sounds like Oglesby can play some point. Imagine that line up, PG=oglesby SG=Coleman SF= Jesperson PF= Eliason C= Walker, (this lineup is ofcourse down the road when these guys are juniors and seniors) those guys can all hit the outside shot, this would really strech the D

Yes, but where will Royce play?

Yes, but where will Royce play?

Can't tell if thats sarcasm, a joke, or being serious as this is the internet and I can't read emotions. So good joke?:cool:

Oglesbys shot reminds me of Stephen Curry's jumper. Very similar players as I watch this highlight video on Youtube.

I mentioned this in a post a while back, Tony Bennett grew up playing basketball with Jesperson's coach Kurt Soderberg. Soderberg's brother Brad, coached with and played for Dick Bennett at UWSP and UW. That is one of the main reasons Jesperson has Virginia at the top of his list currently. FYI Virginia had a solid class last year and is building on that. I don't expect us to be seeing them toward the bottom of the ACC too much longer.

It is a good recruting class, but the roster has been completely gutted of the little talent it did have when Bennett arrived (Sylvan Landesburg, etc.) Therefore, it's going to take more then 1 good recruiting class to get back to competing in the ACC.

Oglesby got some folks in Champaign more interested with his performance on Thursday... one game, he matched up with Mychael Henry when Cedar Rapids Washington took on Chicago Orr.. very good showing for the kid at the Illinois Team Camp.

0625SPOR13UICamp.jpg

Thats not good. Illinois is recruiting like Kentucky lately, they get everyone they want.

Top Bottom