Lineup Next Year

Whatever the coaches decide on Lofton, I have no problem with. The attraction is, he's the best player currently available who will say yes. Boucher is interesting, but a 6-10, 210lb SF/PF, rated at one time as the 150th best JUCO, is just another Band-Aid.

This team doesn't need a shooting guard like Lofton with McBrayer coming. It doesn't need a small forward like Ellison with Mason, Dorsey, McBrayer and Johnson running the floor and taking it to the hoop. What it needs is a 6'8 or 6'9" basketball savvy (not a foreigner learning basketball) 4 that can take a perimeter player off the dribble, shoot the kick-out pass, and rebound.

This team doesn't need a shooting guard like Lofton with McBrayer coming

Wonder where we are with Johnny Woodward... Wasn't Pitino going to check him out not to long ago?

Also hope to still go after '16 juco Dujan Piper

Woodard verbally committed to Tennessee State University

Wonder where we are with Johnny Woodward... Wasn't Pitino going to check him out not to long ago?

Also hope to still go after '16 juco Dujan Piper

Piper had a pretty underwhelming year at North Idaho JC. If we are going to go after a current JC freshman SF, please let it be Jemmerio Jones of Hill.

Whatever the coaches decide on Lofton, I have no problem with. The attraction is, he's the best player currently available who will say yes. Boucher is interesting, but a 6-10, 210lb SF/PF, rated at one time as the 150th best JUCO, is just another Band-Aid.

He's rated as the #36 power forward (not just JUCO power forward) by 247. If you do the search and click the #36 by his name, the list includes all types of recruits nationally. According to that service, that is ranked #6 of the Big Ten power forward recruits.

This team doesn't need a shooting guard like Lofton with McBrayer coming. It doesn't need a small forward like Ellison with Mason, Dorsey, McBrayer and Johnson running the floor and taking it to the hoop. What it needs is a 6'8 or 6'9" basketball savvy (not a foreigner learning basketball) 4 that can take a perimeter player off the dribble, shoot the kick-out pass, and rebound.

What it needs more than anything else is a rebounder and I'm talking about a rebounder in the Reggie Evans style (I'd say Dennis Rodman but that would really be shooting for the stars). We gave teams so many extra shots and ourselves so much extra defensive time by not being able to grab defensive rebounds. We weren't all that great at offensive rebounds either.

I agree with you that a SG like Lofton isn't a huge need for this team and that we really need a PF that can come in and contribute immediately especially rebounding the ball. This team could also definitely use a SF like Ellison that provides length and is a good shooter and athlete. Getting Ellison would allow you to go:
PG-Dorsey, Johnson, Mason
SG-Mason, Morris, McBrayer
SF-Ellison, McBrayer, Buggs

He's rated as the #36 power forward (not just JUCO power forward) by 247. If you do the search and click the #36 by his name, the list includes all types of recruits nationally. According to that service, that is ranked #6 of the Big Ten power forward recruits.

Dead ringer for Nigel Hayes isn't he.

What it needs more than anything else is a rebounder and I'm talking about a rebounder in the Reggie Evans style (I'd say Dennis Rodman but that would really be shooting for the stars). We gave teams so many extra shots and ourselves so much extra defensive time by not being able to grab defensive rebounds. We weren't all that great at offensive rebounds either.

I agree overall, but a rebounding C would be just as useful. A guy like Patric Young from FL would be huge for this team.

This.

Give the minutes to the freshmen and Mason.

Dead ringer for Nigel Hayes isn't he.

Casting your pointless and juvenile snark aside, I'm just reporting what I've read (I've also watched him for a couple of JC national tournament games and think he could be an instant contributor). Since Nigel Hayes has the potential to be the conference's best power forward next year, I'll just state the obvious that, no, I don't expect him to challenge Nigel Hayes for first team all conference.

Give the minutes to the freshmen and Mason.

This isn't the NBA where a handful of teams every year are more or less committed to losing in hope of getting high draft picks and playing low cost young players for player development and to accumulate cap space for the free agent market. And it's not like you can keep these young guys for five years or more.

Unless these recruits are Michigan or Ohio State level, playing Mason and four freshman most of the time isn't likely to be a recipe for success. The future is now for Pitino. If he has a losing season next year, he may need major improvement in year 4 to even get a year 5 and, if he decides to move on, he will be a far less attractive candidate with a poor third year.

Would not want Lofton back. Have never liked his game and he was not there for his team. Not even a remote sign that Pitino would want him back. Recruiting needs to be better then filling a spot with Lofton

Every opinion will be counted,maybe he deserves a chance maybe he dont.
But if I was a betting man,my bet would just be my opinion before hindsight.

Casting your pointless and juvenile snark aside, I'm just reporting what I've read (I've also watched him for a couple of JC national tournament games and think he could be an instant contributor). Since Nigel Hayes has the potential to be the conference's best power forward next year, I'll just state the obvious that, no, I don't expect him to challenge Nigel Hayes for first team all conference.

Ok let's forgive and forget. How many of our cheerleaders do you think he can beat in arm wrestling?

My bet that the opening lineup for the first game will be:

Dorsey
Mason
Morris
King
Konate

By the end of the season:

Dorsey
Mason
McBreyer
Boucher
Konate

This isn't the NBA where a handful of teams every year are more or less committed to losing in hope of getting high draft picks and playing low cost young players for player development and to accumulate cap space for the free agent market. And it's not like you can keep these young guys for five years or more.

Unless these recruits are Michigan or Ohio State level, playing Mason and four freshman most of the time isn't likely to be a recipe for success. The future is now for Pitino. If he has a losing season next year, he may need major improvement in year 4 to even get a year 5 and, if he decides to move on, he will be a far less attractive candidate with a poor third year.

The future is not now for Pitino. Don't have to agree with it but he is going to get plenty of time at Minnesota. His 3rd year yet alone his 4th year are not going to have any effect on whether he gets a 5th year or his attractiveness as a candidate for other jobs.

The future is not now for Pitino. Don't have to agree with it but he is going to get plenty of time at Minnesota. His 3rd year yet alone his 4th year are not going to have any effect on whether he gets a 5th year or his attractiveness as a candidate for other jobs.

DUCK!

I can never understand why people say that a freshman can't be an impact player? Ever hear of Tyus Jones? Besides, just look at this year's Gophers. A real argument could be made that Nate Mason was the most consistent player on the roster.
Write this prediction down...Dupree McBrayer will be next year's Nate Mason. And Jonathan Nwankwo will muscle his way into the starting lineup.
Just get us one, size mismatching scorer off the wing Richard.

Are you sure about that? Are you clairvoyant in addition to all of your other "talents?" This is a school that fired its last basketball coach after winning an NCAA tournament game and making the postseason in all but one of his years here. This is a school that fired its last football coach in the middle of his fourth year despite the team going to a bowl in two out of his first three years. I'm not saying those were bad decisions, but I am saying that this administration has demonstrated that it isn't so hesitant to pull the trigger.

I'm guessing no more than 3. Those girls workout, date football players etc. I think the smiles we see are just for show and they are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. Maybe one of the guys will set up a poll.

If Pitino under performs as he did this year in the next two years you can bet your ass he will be on the hot seat and it will definitely determine the likelihood of whether or not he gets a 5th year. The big question is what will the administrations expectations be the next two years, that's where the conversations and likely disagreements will lay.

I can never understand why people say that a freshman can't be an impact player? Ever hear of Tyus Jones?

Well, no one does say that so I can understand why you have difficulty understanding something that never happens. The average freshman is not as ready as the average junior. A superlative freshman is more ready than the average junior. But, superlative freshmen are not the majority. If they were, they would not be superlative.

I'm just playing the odds. Go back over the last seven years or so and calculate the percentage of superlative Gopher freshman to total Gopher freshmen. I'll get you started. This year it was 1 of 4. Last year it was 0 of 1. Two years ago it was 0-1. Three years ago the team had two immediate contributors as freshmen (Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman) and perhaps one could make a case that Andre wasn't far from superlative as a freshman. Four years ago there were 6 freshmen and the best of them were Austin Hollins with 4.5 pts. per game in 16.9 minutes per game and Chip Armelin with 4.4 pts. per game in 11.1 minutes per game.

Now you can say that Pitino is different and is a better recruiter than Tubby. For now, I'll give that view the benefit of the doubt, but he's 1 for 5 on his freshmen so far.

If Pitino under performs as he did this year in the next two years you can bet your ass he will be on the hot seat and it will definitely determine the likelihood of whether or not he gets a 5th year. The big question is what will the administrations expectations be the next two years, that's where the conversations and likely disagreements will lay.

I heard the AD say next season is being viewed as the "reset" year. I am taking him at his word and unless Pitino goes 4-32 over the next 2 conference seasons he will get a 5th season. Yea his seat in the 5th year could be warm but without a complete disaster over the next 2 years don't see how he doesn't get the 5th year.

Top Bottom