Linebacker & Safety

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Seems like some really great recent news on D-line. Anyone have some insight on linebacker n safety - experience & depth?

If Cody and Maverick are healthy to start the season, that’s a good start.

Seems like some really great recent news on D-line. Anyone have some insight on linebacker n safety - experience & depth?
There is so much returning and new players at DE, I suspect they may try some at under tackle and LB, just to get more guys on the field!

There is so much returning and new players at DE, I suspect they may try some at under tackle and LB, just to get more guys on the field!
Maybe recent DC's have done it too, but I really liked how Claeys would constantly be rotating guys into the DL. It built depth and kept guys fresh. I also hope that a linebacker emerges who can blitz on occasion and get some heat on the opposing QB. Anything to get some pressure.

Safety depth seems okay. Linebacker would be nice to add a transfer. Our CB depth has taken a hit with Pless reportedly out along with Watson and Bride.

I'm nervous about linebacker -- based on last year, the Gophers are perilously thin there.

Maybe the staff knows something I don't. But I would have prioritized bringing in a transfer. Not sure I understand the thought process that led them away from that.

I'm nervous about linebacker -- based on last year, the Gophers are perilously thin there.

Maybe the staff knows something I don't. But I would have prioritized bringing in a transfer. Not sure I understand the thought process that led them away from that.
I think the Gophers tried to find one. But I'm sure they weren't going to settle (this year) for another possible-non-impact transfer like Selig. They tried to get LB transfer Larry Worth--a D'Vondre Campbell body type who had great stats--but he chose Arkansas. If you look at the portal options, there aren't many at LB ... unless you struck very early, as Wisconsin did, reeling in two nice transfers. Considering how many players enter the portal, there aren't (and weren't) many decent "depth" LB choices that (1) would have been a clear upgrade over our current roster and (2) and weren't in an NIL auction. But I'm sure PJ is still looking ...

We have some real depth this year. Beyond Cody and Maverick, there is Devon Williams, who is pretty good. Derik LeCaptain is back for his final year (out injured last year). RS Joey Gerlach should be ready to play. RS Tyler Stolsky got some experience last year. RF Matt Kingsbury got some action last year. Maybe 2023 transfer Rowan Zolman (6'5" 210) has put on some weight and is part of the depth equation. We now have a lot of moderately-experienced, athletic depth at LB that, I suspect, militates against our bringing in what might be an experienced but potentially mediocre LB transfer. Radical thought: Jaxon Howard as a hybrid LB/edge.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment that if we get good LB play, our defense will have a good year .. and vice versa. And if we start the year with Cody and Maverick healthy, and establish a nice rotation, giving good opportunities for depth LBs to gain more experience, I think this will be a good year for the LBs even without an experienced transfer LB.

I think the Gophers tried to find one. But I'm sure they weren't going to settle (this year) for another possible-non-impact transfer like Selig. They tried to get LB transfer Larry Worth--a D'Vondre Campbell body type who had great stats--but he chose Arkansas. If you look at the portal options, there aren't many at LB ... unless you struck very early, as Wisconsin did, reeling in two nice transfers. Considering how many players enter the portal, there aren't (and weren't) many decent "depth" LB choices that (1) would have been a clear upgrade over our current roster and (2) and weren't in an NIL auction. But I'm sure PJ is still looking ...

We have some real depth this year. Beyond Cody and Maverick, there is Devon Williams, who is pretty good. Derik LeCaptain is back for his final year (out injured last year). RS Joey Gerlach should be ready to play. RS Tyler Stolsky got some experience last year. RF Matt Kingsbury got some action last year. Maybe 2023 transfer Rowan Zolman (6'5" 210) has put on some weight and is part of the depth equation. We now have a lot of moderately-experienced, athletic depth at LB that, I suspect, militates against our bringing in what might be an experienced but potentially mediocre LB transfer. Radical thought: Jaxon Howard as a hybrid LB/edge.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment that if we get good LB play, our defense will have a good year .. and vice versa. And if we start the year with Cody and Maverick healthy, and establish a nice rotation, giving good opportunities for depth LBs to gain more experience, I think this will be a good year for the LBs even without an experienced transfer LB.
Good take, all the inexperienced depth pieces from last year did get a lot of reps, so what sucked last year hopefully should help this year.

Good take, all the inexperienced depth pieces from last year did get a lot of reps, so what sucked last year hopefully should help this year.
I’m not sure Williams is very good. He played a lot and I think flashed in just one game. Hopefully, he will take a big jump. Maverick is a player he was a year away from being physically ready last year but hung in there well; then on top of that got nicked (in garbage time) and played hurt until shut down. He and Lindenberg will be great together I’m just crossing my fingers on health 45’s history shows he’s hit and miss he’s lost the majority of two separate years being hurt.

Top Bottom