Line up change?

WILLBGOPHER

Reaction score
I really think this team needs a lineup change. Rodney at the 4 just doesn't work as well in the B10. We will have a hard time to match up against Wisky and other teams with Rodney at the 4, Coleman at the 3.
I would like to see this starting line up:

Dre: Love dre, but he has to figure out how to play defense without fouling. This is now a trend and has been problematic for almost 2 years now.

Austin: I wish we could have 5 of him on the team. Love the effort

Rodney: our new 3, is quick enough to guard smaller players, but much longer than Joe to guard bigger 3s (see Michigan, Wisky, OSU). I thought he really had an off game last night.

TM: at the 4, needs to be within 10 feet of the basket 90% of the time. He really needs to post up on the block, not sure why this doesn't happen. Spends most of his time setting screens for the pick and roll 25 feet away from the basket. I'm sick of TM passing to Rodney on the block - TM needs to be on the block!

EE: Yes starting at the 5. Good screen setter, defensive rebounder, and can bang with the bigs in the league. Knows his role, and is a good passer in the high low set to TM.

This is no shot at Joe, and this would give us some fire power coming off the bench.

We actually did see some of Trevor and EE at the same time this game. It's more of a probability with Trevor now hitting that free throw line shot in the high post. It's hard to have only 2.. 3pt shooters on the court for major minutes. Michigan has 4, so did Indiana, and so does Wisconsin.

Rodney at the 4 has been fine. I thought he would have a huge senior season and he is putting up the same numbers as last year. Robinson is the same size, and plays the 4 for Michigan, but Robinson is a very good 3 pt shooter.

You could start EE, but it wouldn't make too much of a difference in what are the most common lineups because he's a foul machine. He's averaging 5.4 fouls committed per 40 minutes. To put that in perspective, there are 74 players in the Big Ten who have played 40% of their team minutes and thus qualify for KenPom's player stat rankings. (EE is not one of them) Of those 74, only 3 players commit more fouls than EE.

History indicates he'd pick up 2 fouls relatively quickly in the first half and then be sitting on the bench with Mbakwe at the 5.

we saw rodney at the 3 for two plus years (fail)- he doesn't yet have the skills to play the 3 on offense (below average handle/shot/passing) Rodney is built for the 3, but has the ball skills of a 4. Our best lineup is Hollins X2, TM, RW, and JC - get out and run run run run, create havoc and run some more. We have to work SO hard every possesion for 'good' shots within the offense; we need to find a way to get in transition and get some easy ones.

got beat by a better team last night- move on and get back to the winnings ways!

gogophers

I really think this team needs a lineup change. Rodney at the 4 just doesn't work as well in the B10. We will have a hard time to match up against Wisky and other teams with Rodney at the 4, Coleman at the 3.

Dre: Love dre, but he has to figure out how to play defense without fouling. This is now a trend and has been problematic for almost 2 years now.

Rodney: our new 3, is quick enough to guard smaller players, but much longer than Joe to guard bigger 3s (see Michigan, Wisky, OSU). I thought he really had an off game last night.

TM: at the 4, needs to be within 10 feet of the basket 90% of the time. He really needs to post up on the block, not sure why this doesn't happen. Spends most of his time setting screens for the pick and roll 25 feet away from the basket. I'm sick of TM passing to Rodney on the block - TM needs to be on the block!

EE: Yes starting at the 5. Good screen setter, defensive rebounder, and can bang with the bigs in the league. Knows his role, and is a good passer in the high low set to TM.

This is no shot at Joe, and this would give us some fire power coming off the bench.

I had the same thought. I think Joe would be great as our 6th man. In an unrelated thought, I hope Ellis can give us minutes at the point next year.

stop trying to fix what isn't broke.. we have 3 losses.. all to top 5 teams. relax.

I agree with keeping things mostly the same. Rodney and Joe will play better next time out.

stop trying to fix what isn't broke.. we have 3 losses.. all to top 5 teams. relax.

There are several things that need to improve. Being down by 20 (the last 2 games) and never even having a lead against Michigan = problems. How would have Michigan reacted with the gophers up a couple towards the end of the game? We won't know because it wasn't even really close. IF Tubby and the players are frustrated and wanting improvement, then why is the status quo good?

Rodney: our new 3, is quick enough to guard smaller players, but much longer than Joe to guard bigger 3s (see Michigan, Wisky, OSU). I thought he really had an off game last night.TM: at the 4, needs to be within 10 feet of the basket 90% of the time. He really needs to post up on the block, not sure why this doesn't happen. Spends most of his time setting screens for the pick and roll 25 feet away from the basket. I'm sick of TM passing to Rodney on the block - TM needs to be on the block!

Rodney is best at the 4 and it has been proven. Have you seen what he looks like trying to take off the dribble? A walking turnover. You said it yourself, he had an off night, and it was just that. I agree that EE needs to get more playing time and continue to carve his roll and build confidence and toughness.

EE should continue to remain on the bench as much as possible if we want to win games against athletic teams. He can't score, defend pick and roll, protect rim against athletic players, and is a foul machine. He has only played decent against low and mid majors. I fail to see the fascination.

This is really interesting. Rodnay's game really started to blossom when he moved to the 4.

This is really interesting. Rodnay's game really started to blossom when he moved to the 4.

He's averaging 10 & 5 in the big ten. Pretty decent, but hardly blossoming for a senior leader.

I just wish we would sub Trevor and Rodney out separately instead of the line change.

The only change I would make would be to give Ellenson a shot with the second unit. He can't be any less productive for five minutes a game than the guys whom Tubby is putting out there now.

The only change I would make would be to give Ellenson a shot with the second unit. He can't be any less productive for five minutes a game than the guys whom Tubby is putting out there now.

Yeah it probably wouldn't hurt to try, but i think his defense would be poor given the times i have seen him. It looks as though our bench really isn't that great and not loaded with talent (obviously). Maybe it wasn't a good idea to redshirt Charles Buggs, he is skinny but can score and has the length to make up for defensive liabilities.

Let's see now: 1. We are 15-3 overall. 2. We are 3-2 in a tough, tough Big Ten. 3. And our current lineup isn't good enough. Got it. :banghead:

Let's see now: 1. We are 15-3 overall. 2. We are 3-2 in a tough, tough Big Ten. 3. And our current lineup isn't good enough. Got it. :banghead:

Or how about trying to find ways to get better, and not getting down by 20 the last 2 games. This team has great potential to make a deep run, don't be satisfied with the current record and getting blown out by the top teams in the big 10. Yeah the score was closer at the end, but anytime your down by that much you have almost no shot at winning.

Lets see now: 1. 0-2 in our last 2 games. 2. down by 20 in the second half of both games. 3. very poor production from the bench

i agree, but i would like to see the bigger line up at times. I think at the 3 Rodney > Joe, and at the 4 TM is >>>> Rodney. Rodney has shown the ability to hit open shots this year, so i think his production would also be better at the 3.

It's good enough to be good. But that's not what we are talking about.

During Tubby's tenure he has gone from being slightly above average with Monson's players to below average with his own guys. This should be a breakout year and the old expectations don't apply. To play Michigan at home this year and never really be in the game after the first TV timeout isn't acceptable.

I think you have to do something different. A simple assessment of the data, TO's, Rebounds,Points,Fouls, Hustle Plays, for stretches shows something isn't working as well as one would like. Whose the all out gritty player on the team who works hard day in and day out? A kid like Richard Coffee. Put the boots on and go to work. We need that kid in stretches.

EE should continue to remain on the bench as much as possible if we want to win games against athletic teams. He can't score, defend pick and roll, protect rim against athletic players, and is a foul machine. He has only played decent against low and mid majors. I fail to see the fascination.

Ask Bobby Knight. What's our winning percentage when EE starts?

We need more of Bobby Knight's emotion around here. At least he personified being pissed off, and did NOT over analyze things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jc2ESr43PY

We do need a gritty kid, a kid to come in the game and go all out. Bobby Knight, I agree with your statement does personify being pissed off, not sure I would want to spend a lot of time with him though. We need a kid who can lock up the other teams best kid and get in their head. Hardaway needed someone on him that he grew to know personally over that game.

Quick little Bobby Knight story. (True Story by the way)

Knight likes to go bass fishing up in Northeastern Minnesota. He stopped in to a little cafe for a bite to eat and the High School coach who is a legend in the area (500+ wins) is having coffee. The local coach is introduced to Bobby and Bobby asks him about his career. The coach tells Bobby about his success and bringing a handful of teams down to the boys state tournament. Bobby asks the coach if he ever won any state championships and the coach says, No. Upon hearing this, Knight looks the coach in the eye and says..."Well, I guess you haven't done Sh!t then, have you!"

You gotta love Bobby Knights honesty!

The match up with a team like Wisconsin is much more about tempo than size. Wisconsin will try to slow the game down, Minnesota will attempt to speed it up, whoever is successful in dictating pace will likely win the game. The only lineup change I'd like to see is the end of the line change. We can argue over how many of the second 5 belong in the Big Ten, but there's no argument that all 5 of them together on the court at the same time won't work against most of the conference.

Quick little Bobby Knight story. (True Story by the way)

Knight likes to go bass fishing up in Northeastern Minnesota. He stopped in to a little cafe for a bite to eat and the High School coach who is a legend in the area (500+ wins) is having coffee. The local coach is introduced to Bobby and Bobby asks him about his career. The coach tells Bobby about his success and bringing a handful of teams down to the boys state tournament. Bobby asks the coach if he ever won any state championships and the coach says, No. Upon hearing this, Knight looks the coach in the eye and says..."Well, I guess you haven't done Sh!t then, have you!"

You gotta love Bobby Knights honesty!

Not really. The guy is a jerk.

Top Bottom