Like Clockwork: Nebraska on track for 6st Straight Off-Season National Championship

Deuche-bag lists every team in the West as opposition except the Gophers!

What a tool!

They have a lot of fans. Who will click on anything.

=

They get positive spin written in the off-season. How it goes

Considering the line play on both sides of the ball for Nebraska is terrible this is laughable. We will destroy them next fall.

While the Big Ten has Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, they all play in the East. Look at the rest of the Big Ten West and tell me who the clearcut favorite is. Wisconsin has a new coach and a new offense. Iowa is Iowa -- which is good for Iowa, but not anything terrifying. Purdue won the division, its coach left for Louisville, and now it has a first-year coach of its own. Illinois was a surprise in 2021, finishing 8-5, but lost four of its last five games. Northwestern is not in the best condition at the moment. Again, I'm not saying any of these teams making the leap is likely, but Nebraska can at least get an audition for the role.

Guess we are irrelevant which is fine we can come in and take the divison

Easier said than done, given the schedule.
In any event, the divisions will cease to exist in 2024.

While the Big Ten has Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, they all play in the East. Look at the rest of the Big Ten West and tell me who the clearcut favorite is. Wisconsin has a new coach and a new offense. Iowa is Iowa -- which is good for Iowa, but not anything terrifying. Purdue won the division, its coach left for Louisville, and now it has a first-year coach of its own. Illinois was a surprise in 2021, finishing 8-5, but lost four of its last five games. Northwestern is not in the best condition at the moment. Again, I'm not saying any of these teams making the leap is likely, but Nebraska can at least get an audition for the role.

My B1G West 2023 Contenders are:
(In alphabetic order):
Illinois - Brett knows what he’s doing
Iowa - Kirk is Kirk
Minnesota - Solid players and solid coaching
Wisconsin - Luke is bringing in good players

No chance list:
Nebraska - Gotta get over 500
Northwestern - Still rebuilding
Purdue - lost too much talent

My B1G West 2023 Contenders are:
(In alphabetic order):
Illinois - Brett knows what he’s doing
Iowa - Kirk is Kirk
Minnesota - Solid players and solid coaching
Wisconsin - Luke is bringing in good players

No chance list:
Nebraska - Gotta get over 500
Northwestern - Still rebuilding
Purdue - lost too much talent
Not sure why people are so high on Illinois this year.
They choked it away this year by losing to to teams under .500
They lost 4 of their last 5.
They lose a ton.

Not sure why people are so high on Illinois this year.
They choked it away this year by losing to to teams under .500
They lost 4 of their last 5.
They lose a ton.
You could be right. They do have a solid class coming in with three 4 Star recruits, and Brett has a good staff.

lol...pretty big miss on the part of the writer. Might make sense to include the team that finished with the best overall record of anyone in the division and also happens to be the opening week opponent for the Huskers.

That said, I'm not surprised to see Nebraska on this list. They are going on their 7th year of being just one year away..........from getting back to bowl eligibility.

In a time when you just have to not suck to get to a bowl game Nebraska has gone 6 straight years without even being able to reach that extremely low bar......but I'm sure their return to dominance is coming.

The Gophers could not be considered in the article from the OP. Minnesota had a 8-4 regular season record (9-4 overall), thus not a "losing team" by definition in 2022.

EDIT - Never mind. My bad. I now see your post is from the article itself, about Nebraska's prospects for 2023. Yeah, leaving out the Gophers while including all the others is head scratching.

Nebraska has a huge NIL war chest so their offseasons will likely be really exciting from here on out.

Nebraska has a huge NIL war chest so their offseasons will likely be really exciting from here on out.
It's not like they couldn't/didn't offer big bags under the table in the past.

Top recruits still have to decide to go to Lincoln, Nebraska. For whatever reasons, they tend not to do that anymore like back in the old days.

Nebraska only National championship chances in the offseason in football reside in the tailgate lots. They may win one in cornhole, but they will not be winning one on the football field.

Deuche-bag lists every team in the West as opposition except the Gophers!

What a tool!
PJ is 5-1 against Nebraska while coaching the Gophers. Obviously the Gophers are no competition for Nebraska.

It's not like they couldn't/didn't offer big bags under the table in the past.

Top recruits still have to decide to go to Lincoln, Nebraska. For whatever reasons, they tend not to do that anymore like back in the old days.
Under Frost, plenty of highly touted recruits have gone to Nebraska the last 6 years, but many left within a couple years. Maybe that will change with Coach Rhule. If not, maybe there is more rot in Nebraska than what Frost brought.

They did just get two starting OL from Stanford and Arizona State and the 3 year starter QB from Georgia Tech.
The Stanford OL transfers waited for Frost
to leave so that they didn’t have to demonstrate effort by barfing their guts out each fall practice. 🤮

They did just get two starting OL from Stanford and Arizona State and the 3 year starter QB from Georgia Tech
sweet-dreams-good-night.gif

Under Frost, plenty of highly touted recruits have gone to Nebraska the last 6 years, but many left within a couple years. Maybe that will change with Coach Rhule. If not, maybe there is more rot in Nebraska than what Frost brought.
How many were high 4* or 5*, though? I guess I could just look this up myself on 247.

Landing 4* recruits is great. It's a nice thing. But there are few truly game-changers in each class, and those guys tend to go to the elite programs.

Setting an arbitrary threshold of 96 or better, in terms of 247's own ratings:

2019 - WanDale Robinson was a 97 4*
2020 - none (highest was a 95 4*)
2021 - Thomas Fidone (TE) 97 4*
2022 - none (highest was a 90 4*)

So that threshold could be unreasonable, but I am talking about game-changers.

Robinson we all know about. Fidone has been mostly injured in both 2021 and 22, not able to make an impact yet. They had a really good TE this season anyway.

( FWIW:
Gophers highest in those four classes respectively:

Tyler Nubin 90 4*
Dan Jackson 89 3*
Steven Ortiz 90 4*
Trey Bixby 90 4*
)

Feels like this is an annual thing. I think I remember them being favored to win the West in 2019, too.

Top Bottom