"Let's Get It On"

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Tubby's final words last night in his postgame interview with Don Zierden, in reference to the Michigan State game. He sounded like a guy ready for the Spartans, and the ensuing conference season. Couldn't agree with Tubby more. It's time to find out where this Gopher team truly is at, as well as some of the other Big 10 teams that have built up gaudy records.

Now that the opening act is over, save for a few stragglers (nonconference games), how do you see the Big 10 at the finish line? Here's how I see teams pairing up at the Big Ten Tournament.

1. Purdue (NCAA)
2. Michigan State (NCAA)
3. Wisconsin (NCAA)
4. Ohio State (NCAA)
5. GOPHERS (NCAA)
6. Michigan (NCAA)
7. Illinois (bubble, either/or)
8. Penn State (NIT)
9. Northwestern (CBI)
10. Iowa
11. Indiana

1st Round of BTT (Thursday, March 12)
#8 Penn State vs. #9 Northwestern
#7 Illinois vs. #10 Iowa
#6 Michigan vs. #11 Indiana

Quarterfinals (Friday, March 13)
#1 Purdue vs. Penn State/Northwestern winner
#4 Ohio State vs. #5 GOPHERS
#2 Michigan State vs. Illinois/Iowa winner
#3 Wisconsin vs. Michigan/Indiana winner

Tubby's final words last night in his postgame interview with Don Zierden, in reference to the Michigan State game. He sounded like a guy ready for the Spartans, and the ensuing conference season. Couldn't agree with Tubby more. It's time to find out where this Gopher team truly is at, as well as some of the other Big 10 teams that have built up gaudy records.

Now that the opening act is over, save for a few stragglers (nonconference games), how do you see the Big 10 at the finish line? Here's how I see teams pairing up at the Big Ten Tournament.

1. Purdue (NCAA)
2. Michigan State (NCAA)
3. Wisconsin (NCAA)
4. Ohio State (NCAA)
5. GOPHERS (NCAA)
6. Michigan (NCAA)
7. Illinois (bubble, either/or)
8. Penn State (NIT)
9. Northwestern (CBI)
10. Iowa
11. Indiana

1st Round of BTT (Thursday, March 12)
#8 Penn State vs. #9 Northwestern
#7 Illinois vs. #10 Iowa
#6 Michigan vs. #11 Indiana

Quarterfinals (Friday, March 13)
#1 Purdue vs. Penn State/Northwestern winner
#4 Ohio State vs. #5 GOPHERS
#2 Michigan State vs. Illinois/Iowa winner
#3 Wisconsin vs. Michigan/Indiana winner

Too bad Tubby didnt schedule some decent teams in the non-con. It is about time there was a competitive team in the Barn. The 13th game of the season and this is the first decent home game? Pathetic.

Time to see who is real and who is not.....

Too bad Tubby didnt schedule some decent teams in the non-con. It is about time there was a competitive team in the Barn. The 13th game of the season and this is the first decent home game? Pathetic.

Time to see who is real and who is not.....

If you had a clue as to why the schedule is like it is, then you wouldn't post such dribble. Pathetic.

Truth Teller is full of ignorance. We passed our 1 major test and 3 minor tests and used the rest of the games to gain cohesiveness and confidence with a team with a ton of newcomers and guys in new roles. We played a top 10 team, drew a weak draw in the ACC/B10 challenge and played 2 other decent squads

Truth Teller is full of ignorance. We passed our 1 major test and 3 minor tests and used the rest of the games to gain cohesiveness and confidence with a team with a ton of newcomers and guys in new roles. We played a top 10 team, drew a weak draw in the ACC/B10 challenge and played 2 other decent squads

Really?

Please enlighten me as to the strength of the home non-con sched oleboy.

Ok - please give me an education.

Without the "we are young, blah......."

From all reports and interviews I've heard, Tubby and his staff worked very hard to craft a schedule suited to the players development. He was even quoted as saying the success they've had this year has a lot to do with the schedule. There is nothing blah about the team being young with nearly half the players new to the team. It looks like Tubby was wise to err on the cupcake side so he could keep the team improving instead of regressing. Next year, I hope Tubby stiffens the schedule and brings some good games to the Barn. However, getting good games at home seems to be much harder than it used to be with every BCS team wanting all home games for the pre-season.

From all reports and interviews I've heard, Tubby and his staff worked very hard to craft a schedule suited to the players development. He was even quoted as saying the success they've had this year has a lot to do with the schedule. There is nothing blah about the team being young with nearly half the players new to the team. It looks like Tubby was wise to err on the cupcake side so he could keep the team improving instead of regressing. Next year, I hope Tubby stiffens the schedule and brings some good games to the Barn. However, getting good games at home seems to be much harder than it used to be with every BCS team wanting all home games for the pre-season.

And the better (BCS) teams are leery of playing Tubby's Gophers at home in The Barn. The Big 10 opponents have to do it but the BCS teams prefer playing cupcakes, too.

Really?

Please enlighten me as to the strength of the home non-con sched oleboy.

funny that I don't see where I said the schedule was strong. I simply said that it was created specifically to create some cohesiveness and chemistry on the court while still having 1 major test and a few minor ones.

funny that I don't see where I said the schedule was strong. I simply said that it was created specifically to create some cohesiveness and chemistry on the court while still having 1 major test and a few minor ones.

"It is about time there was a competitive team in the Barn"

And this is what I was referring to - decent games, in the non-con, in the Barn.

Rationalize all you want - the non-con 2008 sched was pathetic. Season ticket holders paying high prices for that sched? I guess it is great if you enjoy games that are non competitive....

Question for FOT/Scheduling a home-and-home

"And the better (BCS) teams are leery of playing Tubby's Gophers at home in The Barn."

I want to make sure I'm clear on this.

We as Gopher fans -- especially those who have season tickets -- should consider a coach of Tubby's national stature and with his connections incapable of lining up 1 home-and-home series (not 2, not 3, not 4, just throw us a bone & give us 1) with a fellow BCS program?

Tubby and/or Joe Esposito are not capable of scheduling a home-and-home with any of the following programs. ...

Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Arizona State, Auburn, Baylor, Boston College, Cal, Cincinnati, Clemson, Colorado, DePaul, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Georgetown, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Marquette, Maryland, Miami-Florida, Mississippi State, Mizzou, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, Pitt, Providence, Rutgers, St. John's, Seton Hall, South Carolina, South Florida, Stanford, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, UConn, USC, Vandy, Villanova, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington, Wazzu or West Virginia?

Not a single one, not even an Oregon State or a South Florida?

I'm thrilled to have Tubby as the Gophers' coach just as much as the next guy, but there's no way to justify not having scheduled a single BCS opponent at home in 2 years. The only BCS opponent we've had at home is Virginia, and that's only because of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. That's unacceptable, whether you have a "young" team, an "inexperienced" team, a "geriatric" team or a Final Four-caliber team.

I fully expect Tubby to deliver the goods next year with a reasonably more competitive nonconference home schedule (please note folks, I said "home" schedule, not overall, we've already upgraded the overall with the Anaheim Classic). Certainly the "we're young" mantra shouldn't be offered up next season as a reason not to play 1 or 2 more good teams at home.

Tubby's building a winner

Rationalize all you want - the non-con 2008 sched was pathetic. Season ticket holders paying high prices for that sched? I guess it is great if you enjoy games that are non competitive....

How do you want Tubby to do things? Schedule the toughest NC opponents when the team isn't ready to compete against them and you get to watch them lose repeatedly? The point of the schedule is to generate the best season record. The goal is the NCAA tourney and not to play the most high-profile opponents.

I trust that Tubby has the knowledge and experience to know what type of NC schedule his team needs. My view is that this NC schedule was constructed to give the guys time to gel, set up this team and these players for a run at the NCAA this year and lay the foundation for years of success and contending for B10 championships and NCAA tourney runs. That will be much more entertaining for season ticket holders in the long run.

"And the better (BCS) teams are leery of playing Tubby's Gophers at home in The Barn."

I want to make sure I'm clear on this.

We as Gopher fans -- especially those who have season tickets -- should consider a coach of Tubby's national stature and with his connections incapable of lining up 1 home-and-home series (not 2, not 3, not 4, just throw us a bone & give us 1) with a fellow BCS program?

Tubby and/or Joe Esposito are not capable of scheduling a home-and-home with any of the following programs. ...

Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Arizona State, Auburn, Baylor, Boston College, Cal, Cincinnati, Clemson, Colorado, DePaul, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Georgetown, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, Marquette, Maryland, Miami-Florida, Mississippi State, Mizzou, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, Pitt, Providence, Rutgers, St. John's, Seton Hall, South Carolina, South Florida, Stanford, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, UConn, USC, Vandy, Villanova, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington, Wazzu or West Virginia?

Not a single one, not even an Oregon State or a South Florida?

I'm thrilled to have Tubby as the Gophers' coach just as much as the next guy, but there's no way to justify not having scheduled a single BCS opponent at home in 2 years. The only BCS opponent we've had at home is Virginia, and that's only because of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. That's unacceptable, whether you have a "young" team, an "inexperienced" team, a "geriatric" team or a Final Four-caliber team.

I fully expect Tubby to deliver the goods next year with a reasonably more competitive nonconference home schedule (please note folks, I said "home" schedule, not overall, we've already upgraded the overall with the Anaheim Classic). Certainly the "we're young" mantra shouldn't be offered up next season as a reason not to play 1 or 2 more good teams at home.

Yes. Most BCS teams would rather play their own cupcakes at home than play another BCS team on the road.

The 2008 schedule was probably pretty well set up by March 2007 anyway. Minnesota tried to schedule some tougher opponents than Concordia but was unable to do so.

Tubby played tough OOC schedules at Tulsa, Georgia, and Kentucky. I think it will be no different at Minnesota.

"I think it will be no different at Minnesota."

That's what I'm hoping for, too. As long as all of the Gophers' most competitive games aren't being played outside of Minneapolis (in-season tournaments, neutral sites) and a few of them are being played at The Barn, I'd be cool with that.

Thanks FOT.

Top Bottom