Let's Become A Positive Force

Duluthguy

Reaction score
I'll probably get a hundred posts telling me why this is a stupid idea or why it won't work, but here it goes:

Whenever there is a cycle of failure, that cycle is doomed to repeat itself unless a link in that chain is willing to take a leap of faith and say, "Let the change start with me." As diehard Gopher fans, we have an opportunity right now to make that change start with us.

What if instead of just writing Maturi emails telling him to fire Brewster, those of us who can promise to donate so much if he is fired and perhaps double it if someone capable is hired?

What if instead of chanting "fire Brewster," something with the same intention but much more positive is chanted, such as "We want to win."?

What if all of us who can join the various associations that support Gopher football?

What if those of us who can promise to upgrade or buy more season tickets, or those of us without season tickets promise to do all they can to buy up unused visitor tickets? Start a campaign to make any empty seat intolerable.

What if we let the big shot donors know that their contributions towards hiring a good coach will be rewarded with the most energized fan base they've ever seen?

What if instead of saying we can never get a good coach here that we show potential coaches that Gopher fans are waiting to support him in every way possible?

What if instead of dreading the last game of the season, we promise not to selll our tickets to any Hawkeyes and those of us who can promise to buy any unwanted tickets? Instead of mourning a lost season, it could be a celebration of a bright new future.

What if we make the Bank a place that opponents dread playing at?

What if we support the players like never before so no one bails on the program when the new coach comes in?

What if we change our attitude in expecting futility and expect the new coach to actually lead us to the Rose Bowl?

What if we call into all of the sports shows (even the ones we hate) and talk up the positives of Gopher football?

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

We can complain, moan, be defeatists, etc., or we can take the lead. We can seize the opportunity to turn all of this negativity into positive energy. Instead of jumping on the bandwagon when a new coach is hired, we can start the bandwagon moving before he even gets here. We can try to be a positive force and try to influence a positive outcome. We can be that first break in the cycle of failure. (Of course, we would have to make it clear that our efforts are directed at replacing Brewster and not misunderstood as support for him.)

We can be that one link in the chain that takes that leap of faith and say,"Gopher resurgence starts right here, right now."

I really don't think we can be any sort of force. We really won't influence the hiring and firing, there are much bigger players than us in this game. I think the best we can hope for is to just chill a bit.

"We want to win!" "We want to win!" Really?

I was thinking of posting something like this last week, had it typed out and spell checked. I decided against it thinking about how itwould be received coming from a fairly new poster. We may not be able to affect decisions made with in the program, but we can be a positive influence for the program. The message boards have gotten some airtime over the last three or four months even being mentioned by what's his nuts over on kfan this summer. The national TV commentators made referance to the chat rooms last week about the coach situation and how people were getting frustrated. In the summer this board was a positive force for the program, now we sound like the people we were bashing only a few months ago. We r supposed to be the most devout of all gopher football fans. If we are the smartest, we need to recognize our role in gopher nation and continue our fight to promote our team positively.

Just get to the games and hope for the best. Too many posters here are talking about boycotting and staying away. That is the last thing the program needs.

This is why I joined the Goal Line Club after the USD loss. One way you can be a positive force is to do things to help the program get resources. One of those is joining the Goal Line Club.

Top Bottom