Let's all get our dime down: FleckBall

Taking all day to snap the ball is fine but be prepared to play with a faster tempo when needed.
Do we have a two minute drill tucked away somewhere? There come a point where we are going to need it.

You realize MN is second in the Big Ten against the run? There has been nothing bend but don’t break about this defense. This team is good and showed the best against Ohio State than anyone outside of Oregon. Bowling Green was a complete vomit by the coaches.
They seem to get better with the field shortened. Have not looked but their red zone D sure seems good. Giving up the big play is my only negative takeaway overall.

Wren, this is the most concise post you’ve ever written. Proud of you.

Go Concise Wren!!
Hmmmmm. There you go, BleedGopher, reading in between the lines again.

Just what do you mean by your remark: “…Go Concise Wren…”

I don’t know whether to like it, feel offended by it, resent it OR to start getting ready to pack my keyboard and leave. I fear this site has given me a severe PTGHS (post traumatic gopher hole syndrome)
during my long on and off association with you and some others on GH. Of course you realize what a long, strange trip, interactions between posters, can produce.

So, if you really mean: “…go concise wren…” I certainly can go if you wish. There has never been much of anything concise about me OR countless other posters here in the past and certainly not currently with some of the posts here on an every day basis. So, if my time here is not concise enough for you, just let me know and I can hit the road…

Wink, wink, wink. ;0)

Last edited:

You realize MN is second in the Big Ten against the run? There has been nothing bend but don’t break about this defense. This team is good and showed the best against Ohio State than anyone outside of Oregon. Bowling Green was a complete vomit by the coaches.

Whoa, cool down there Buck-O. Bend but don’t break is a compliment. Teams have moved the ball but in terms of scoring MN is doing pretty well. I’m talking about passing + run. Good, but not great. Could be, though. There are some playmakers emerging.

The defense statistically compares favorably to 2019 and is maybe better in some ways most noticeably on the defensive line.

Whoa, cool down there Buck-O. Bend but don’t break is a compliment. Teams have moved the ball but in terms of scoring MN is doing pretty well. I’m talking about passing + run. Good, but not great. Could be, though. There are some playmakers emerging.

The defense statistically compares favorably to 2019 and is maybe better in some ways most noticeably on the defensive line.
IMO they are not a bend but don't break defense. They have only let the opponent in the redzone 17 times all year, meaning they don't really bend. They play great defense and sometimes give up a big play here and there. Gophers are 17th in all of college football in yards per game.

(1) Big strong OL. As Wren pointed out, this one is particularly large and particularly old which makes them particularly good.

(2) I don't think you'd categorize our offense as not having spectacular RBs. Mo might have been the best RB in the nation and no one would intentionally recruit "solid, but spectacular".

(3) We run almost no RPO anymore. We run play action out of the shotgun, but we rarely run RPO anymore.

(4) Fleck's offense (IMO), are the most dangerous when we power run and then throw to our WRs (slants and deep shots mostly). Those types of passing trees (IMO) really have a synergistic effect with a power running game. I think it's part of the reason our passing game seems weird now, it's like it doesn't fit with the rest of the offense.

(5) Lots of rotations across DL and OL

(6) I don't know if this is more Rossi or Fleck, but we run a pretty vanilla defense (I like vanilla defense) but they do it out of a variety of different looks. With a vanilla scheme, there is a premium on DBs and LBs who can tackle. Almost all of their wrinkles, come on third downs and Rossi has a wide variety of blitzes he dials up. It's a nice mix with our more standard first and second down schemes.

(7) Low risk in return game (which I'm cool with).

IMO they are not a bend but don't break defense. They have only let the opponent in the redzone 17 times all year, meaning they don't really bend. They play great defense and sometimes give up a big play here and there. Gophers are 17th in all of college football in yards per game.

We are using different measuring sticks then. Fair to disagree. So far they’ve looked really good, and I think we can agree on that.

1. The Gophers are masters of the jab. They tenderized their opponents with the run and TOP game. They play a disciplined rope-a-dope defense. Before you know it, they KO the opponent.

2. They have the wherewithal to take an opponent out with runs, passes, or both in their RPO scheme. They are in no hurry to be sexy (borrowing the concept from JJ from Corn Nation after the Nebraska meltdown).

3. PJ Fleck lives rent-free inside the heads of Brohm, Frost, and others.
Also in the head of Corn Nation, who was wearing a Gopher t-shirt on his youtube live last night. Don't take me wrong, I like JJ and he gives Fleck credit and likes the Gophers this year.

Hmmmmm. There you go, BleedGopher, reading in between the lines again.

Just what do you mean by your remark: “…Go Concise Wren…”

I don’t know whether to like it, feel offended by it, resent it OR to start getting ready to pack my keyboard and leave. I fear this site has given me a severe PTGHS (post traumatic gopher hole syndrome)
during my long on and off association with you and some others on GH. Of course you realize what a long, strange trip, interactions between posters, can produce.

So, if you really mean: “…go concise wren…” I certainly can go if you wish. There has never been much of anything concise about me OR countless other posters here in the past and certainly not currently with some of the posts here on an every day basis. So, if my time here is not concise enough for you, just let me know and I can hit the road…

Wink, wink, wink. ;0)
This is coming from a former wren nemesis: Over the years, I've learned to appreciate walrus/wren. He is a huge fan of the Gophers. Granted, some of his rantings are a little long and disjointed, but the bottom line; Wren/Walrus is an acquired taste. We need his insight, especially regarding Gopher history. He's always been respectful to me (even when I've insulted him) and he's right more than he's wrong. Cheers.

This is coming from a former wren nemesis: Over the years, I've learned to appreciate walrus/wren. He is a huge fan of the Gophers. Granted, some of his rantings are a little long and disjointed, but the bottom line; Wren/Walrus is an acquired taste. We need his insight, especially regarding Gopher history. He's always been respectful to me (even when I've insulted him) and he's right more than he's wrong. Cheers.
You are more than kind, Rescooter. It’s a great time to be a Gopher fan! Believe me, if you insulted me, I had it coming. On message boards, it’s easy to play with the words, the topics of the day and the sarcasm. You are quick witted and just like me, you do have opinions. That’s good. I think we both like to have some fun with this stuff. You always more than held your own with the interactions we may have had. Good to talk to you. You are a great Gopher fan. Beat Northwestern!

Fleck has gone pretty much smash-mouth this year and he has the personnel to go that route. It will be interesting to see if that approach changes next year as the members of the offensive line likely move on. He's probably going to need to develop some sort of counterpunch down the stretch and it will be interesting to see what that looks like if it happens. Again, he has the personnel to put some wrinkles into the game plan.

Also in the head of Corn Nation, who was wearing a Gopher t-shirt on his youtube live last night. Don't take me wrong, I like JJ and he gives Fleck credit and likes the Gophers this year.
His wife and son are Gopher fans. He lives somewhere
in the Twin Cities.

Top Bottom