Letdowns after big wins

Gold Rush

Reaction score
There are many videos of Herb Brooks talking about coaching, and of course the ex-Gopher
coach was one of the greatest coaches of all time in any sport. He pulled off one of the greatest
upsets of all time of course vs. the Russians but I always thought the victory over Finland 2 days later
was in some ways an even greater coaching feat because he pulled off a win in the ultimate let-down game.
Think of how easy that would have been to have a letdown after one of the greatest victories of all time
but they battled from behind, played hard and won it. If they had lost the game the best they would have accomplished was a bronze medal! Former Gophers Steve Christoff tied it and Rob McClanahan
had the game winner in a 4-2 game the movie "Miracle" glossed over except by script at the end.

This leads me to the present Gopher football team. The Gophers seem to continually earn a good victory only to throw it away the next week with a letdown game that tarnishes what could have been a great season. Everyone is telling the players what a great team they are from the fellow classmates to the national news. You just can't do that - you have to stay hungry all the way to the end of the season. Back to Herb Brooks, if you remember in the movie "Miracle" he makes the team after a lackluster effort vs. Norway skate after the game over and over until even after the lights are out. He said in an interview afterward the reason why he did that was because he never wanted them to go easy - he wanted them to go all out all the time whenever they hit the ice and this ploy worked. I am not endorsing his training methods or saying this should be adopted by PJ Fleck by any means, but they WERE effective and they did work down the road vs. Finland in a game they had to have.

So how do you guard against a letdown in a short season such as football? Every team seems to have that one game (or more!) where they do not play at their peak. The very good ones can overcome this with better talent but our window is much smaller as our teams are closer in talent and when you have several miscues, it can spell disaster. Somehow we need to figure out how to avoid these letdowns because any type of subpar effort will get you knocked off in the Big Ten. Kirby Puckett's words were always, "we just have to take it one game at a time and not get too high or too low" and while this is good advice this can be easier said than done.

And of course now we need to put the Purdue game in the rear view mirror and move on to the remainder of the schedule starting with Illinois next week. If we are STILL grousing about Purdue and lose the next game they effectively beat you twice (think of the Michigan debacle 15 years ago when they were so down they lost the next week to MSU too!) Illinois will be tough and we will need to be firing on all cylinders to win. We need this one bad!! But if we win that one, we need to be able to forget about it and play even harder the next week.

There are many videos of Herb Brooks talking about coaching, and of course the ex-Gopher
coach was one of the greatest coaches of all time in any sport. He pulled off one of the greatest
upsets of all time of course vs. the Russians but I always thought the victory over Finland 2 days later
was in some ways an even greater coaching feat because he pulled off a win in the ultimate let-down game.
Think of how easy that would have been to have a letdown after one of the greatest victories of all time
but they battled from behind, played hard and won it. If they had lost the game the best they would have accomplished was a bronze medal! Former Gophers Steve Christoff tied it and Rob McClanahan
had the game winner in a 4-2 game the movie "Miracle" glossed over except by script at the end.

This leads me to the present Gopher football team. The Gophers seem to continually earn a good victory only to throw it away the next week with a letdown game that tarnishes what could have been a great season. Everyone is telling the players what a great team they are from the fellow classmates to the national news. You just can't do that - you have to stay hungry all the way to the end of the season. Back to Herb Brooks, if you remember in the movie "Miracle" he makes the team after a lackluster effort vs. Norway skate after the game over and over until even after the lights are out. He said in an interview afterward the reason why he did that was because he never wanted them to go easy - he wanted them to go all out all the time whenever they hit the ice and this ploy worked. I am not endorsing his training methods or saying this should be adopted by PJ Fleck by any means, but they WERE effective and they did work down the road vs. Finland in a game they had to have.

So how do you guard against a letdown in a short season such as football? Every team seems to have that one game (or more!) where they do not play at their peak. The very good ones can overcome this with better talent but our window is much smaller as our teams are closer in talent and when you have several miscues, it can spell disaster. Somehow we need to figure out how to avoid these letdowns because any type of subpar effort will get you knocked off in the Big Ten. Kirby Puckett's words were always, "we just have to take it one game at a time and not get too high or too low" and while this is good advice this can be easier said than done.

And of course now we need to put the Purdue game in the rear view mirror and move on to the remainder of the schedule starting with Illinois next week. If we are STILL grousing about Purdue and lose the next game they effectively beat you twice (think of the Michigan debacle 15 years ago when they were so down they lost the next week to MSU too!) Illinois will be tough and we will need to be firing on all cylinders to win. We need this one bad!! But if we win that one, we need to be able to forget about it and play even harder the next week.
To further your point, I'll add Indiana 2000.

Followed by:

43-51

To say this game was a big letdown after Michigan state greatly overrates Michigan state

They will be 2-4 after this week and might not get their third win until November

To say this game was a big letdown after Michigan state greatly overrates Michigan state

They will be 2-4 after this week and might not get their third win until November
Agreed, they are stinky

Ps

I am not arguing it wasn’t a letdown
I am arguing it wasn’t a letdown after a huge win

In the minds of the Gophers, at that time, it was seemingly a big win.

MSU had a great year last year. It was on the road -- tough in the Big Ten no matter what -- and it was a very lopsided game.

I think the OP point stands, based on that.

Sure, hindsight is 20-20 and the Washington loss should have been more of a warning sign.

Its long been the name of the game in CFB, unfortunately. That said, many smart bettors have made great money on it

So how do you guard against a letdown in a short season such as football? Every team seems to have that one game (or more!) where they do not play at their peak. The very good ones can overcome this with better talent but our window is much smaller as our teams are closer in talent and when you have several miscues, it can spell disaster.

I think you just answered your own question. Even if you don't frame it as a letdown, an opposing team might just have more of an edge (coming off of a loss, desperate for a win, etc).

If you're Alabama it means you only win by 10. If you're the Gophers (or most teams), it means you lose. It stinks to be on the losing end, but it's part of what makes following the sport so much fun (and following Alabama so boring).

"Every team seems to have that one game (or more!) where they do not play at their peak."
Maybe we were at our peak. We won't know until later this season.

Top Bottom