Leach on Sirius 122

vinko bogataj

Reaction score
Was listening to Leach and Jack Arute on Sirius 122 this afternoon and they had a question about Fullmer to Minnesota from a UT fan. Neither had heard anything about it (which is no surprise to me), but Leach was asked if he would be interested in the job and while he talked around the topic somewhat, it sure seemed clear that he would be interested. He commented that he was presently unemployed at which point Arute reminded him he drew a paycheck from their show. Leach then said he really would consider himself unemployed until he was coaching again then went on to talk about what a great place Minneapolis is and how his mother was from "up north" and that Minnesota was a great place and opportunity for the right fit. Maybe it was just me, but he seemed like he wanted to hear from the U. Arute later mentioned the Randy Shannon was a coach that might hold some interest here as well. If you have satellite radio, Arute and Leach are a great listen. The more I hear from Leach, the more I like him. I also heard the Paul Finebaum show and he mentioned Fullmer then went on an anti-Mark Richt rant for what seemed like forever.

Any word on whether he would agree to go on some anger control meds if he came to the U? ;)

If this is true and he does want to be in Minnesota, it might be time for another email to our AD. This would be a major get for the program, I realize he does have some negatives but he brings many more positives.

Edit: I know emailing Maturi will do nothing but I don't really care but Leach wants to be here and brings everything we need in a candidate.

If this is true and he does want to be in Minnesota, it might be time for another email to our AD. This would be a major get for the program, I realize he does have some negatives but he brings many more positives.
If they hire him I'm going to get my accreditation as a counselor in Minnesota and open a practice outside of campus. Business will be rolling in.

Leach would be a very solid acquisition for The U. It would likely cause concern throughout the conference and division. He could get things clicking much more quickly I think as well. He can really bring instant excitement to our Program and he is a proven winner.

If they hire him I'm going to get my accreditation as a counselor in Minnesota and open a practice outside of campus. Business will be rolling in.
If we're winning games, I don't mind unless something inexcusable happens.

Ticket sales are going to slump. Who stands to get the fans excited-Leach or Phil Fulmer/Edsall/Calhoun or God forbid, Trestman? This should have been done yesterday. But it won't. Be prepared for Gopher Head Coach Paul Chryst.

Ticket sales are going to slump. Who stands to get the fans excited-Leach or Phil Fulmer/Edsall/Calhoun or God forbid, Trestman? This should have been done yesterday. But it won't. Be prepared for Gopher Head Coach Paul Chryst.

If we hire Paul Chryst I will stop supporting the U until both he and Maturi are gone. He would be a freaking disaster!

Was listening to Leach and Jack Arute on Sirius 122 this afternoon and they had a question about Fullmer to Minnesota from a UT fan. Neither had heard anything about it (which is no surprise to me), but Leach was asked if he would be interested in the job and while he talked around the topic somewhat, it sure seemed clear that he would be interested. He commented that he was presently unemployed at which point Arute reminded him he drew a paycheck from their show. Leach then said he really would consider himself unemployed until he was coaching again then went on to talk about what a great place Minneapolis is and how his mother was from "up north" and that Minnesota was a great place and opportunity for the right fit. Maybe it was just me, but he seemed like he wanted to hear from the U. Arute later mentioned the Randy Shannon was a coach that might hold some interest here as well. If you have satellite radio, Arute and Leach are a great listen. The more I hear from Leach, the more I like him. I also heard the Paul Finebaum show and he mentioned Fullmer then went on an anti-Mark Richt rant for what seemed like forever.

vinko,

1. I am no expert, but in my view, what Leach did with Texas Tech in the Big XII South is pretty incredible, considering you are guaranteed to face Texas and Oklahoma each and every year, and normally neither Texas A&M nor Oklahoma State are slouches. Then you have to deal with the rest of the Big XII where the only traditional weaknesses seem to be Baylor (not this year) and Iowa State.

2. If we are talking about somebody who has proven they can do more with less, this is the man. In my humble opinion Boise State and TCU do not have the brutal schedule that the Red Raiders face year in and year out. In my way of thinking, there is no comparison. So no, I am not terribly impressed by any of the other coaches at programs such as Connecticut, Temple, Boise State, Texas Christian, etc. They may indeed be better coaches, but I remain unconvinced, because I don't think their accomplishments and their week in and week out competition is anywhere near the same level as in the Big XII South.

3. I recently read a thread plugging the Connecticut coach, and my first thought was, if you want to purchase this person, then why in the hell did we fire Glen? Yes, I admit that I am a Masonite, and yes, I would take Glen back in a heartbeat, but I know that is not going to happen. Having said this, my point is that Glen Mason is the standard against which all coaching candidates should be measured against. We should not be measuring the candidates against Tim Brewster.

4. Mike Leach's record speaks for itself. If Robert Bruininks, Joel Maturi, Tony Dungy, and the Atlanta search firm do not seriously consider Mike, then they are not serious about improving Golden Gopher Football. Mike made a football player stand in the shade in a shed. If this is too much for the Golden Gopher faithful to digest, then I have news for us all, we are never going to climb out of this latrine we are wallowing in. We don't have the mental toughness to really want victories. Minnesota is a university which would never have selected George S. Patton to lead our 3rd Army in Europe. Thank God Ike had 51 percent of the vote.

5. I am confident that the University of Minnesota will not select Mike Leach. Why, because he has the best and most proven track record, under the most difficult circumstances, he wants the job, but he made somebody stand in a shed in the shade.:(

Winona Phantom we salute you!
Michigan 0
Minnesota 22
24 October 1953
SKI-U-MAH!

Quote: "I am confident that the University of Minnesota will not select Mike Leach. Why, because he has the best and most proven track record, under the most difficult circumstances, he wants the job, but he made somebody stand in a shed in the shade."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are correct. There is no way in hell that the U will ever hire Mike Leach. The reasons are exactly the same ones that Texas Tech had for firing Leach.

Here they are:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leach was suspended by Texas Tech after he refused to agree to guidelines for dealing with players set forth by school officials in a Dec. 23 letter:

Among the guidelines:

- “Decisions regarding whether an injury warrants suspension from practice and/or play will be determined by a physician without pressure from you or your staff.”

-“There will be no retaliation against any student who has suffered an injury.”

Texas Tech’s official statement said that Leach’s actions made it impossible for him to remain coach of the Red Raiders:

“In a defiant act of insubordination, Coach Leach continually refused to cooperate in a meaningful way to help resolve the complaint. He also refused to obey a suspension order and instead sued Texas Tech University,” the statement said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leach is trouble with a capital "T". There is no way that Bruininks is going to sign off on his hiring with the other alternatives they are going to have for a new coach.

Heard from a very good source on Saturday that Leach isn't being considered. (Not even remotely) It's too bad because I think he would be a Holtz-like hire for this program. I also heard that they are most interested in Patterson. The qoute to me was "think TCU" . I guess there are some big boosters and admins who really like him and he had a lot of interest before we decided to hire the guy who sold cars at Nan Tim.

Bruininks publicly said he won't hire anyone with baggage, which was his polite way of saying no Leach. We can stop wondering about Leach.

Bruininks publicly said he won't hire anyone with baggage, which was his polite way of saying no Leach. We can stop wondering about Leach.

Sparlimb has said publicly that his season ticket renewal is directly correlated to whether he approves of the new coach. Hope the U hears that LOUD and CLEAR.

Sparlimb also enjoys talking like Kyle Kessel.

It's too bad we won't be the team to give Mike Leach a shot. One college team is going to be very happy after they hire him, if he doesn't cause too much trouble.

While Leach is not at the top of my list (he will probably move up as those above him drop out), he should get an interview where the schools concerns can be discussed. I will be very disappointed if Maturi and Bruininks don't even talk to him.

The U isn't in a position to simply dismiss someone as a candidate because he might be "trouble". Is the administration concerned that things could get worse? Worse than bookend 1 win seasons? Worse than year after year of empty trophy cases? There's nowhere to go but up at this point. They are in a perfect position to gamble on a guy like Leach. There isn't a lot to lose at this point.

I would love a Leach hire, but the thing that's concerning about him and cannot be ignored (if true) are those reports about his behavior during the Insight Bowl festivities back in 2006, where he got all liquored-up at some function and was publicly ranting about the athletic administration at Texas Tech in the presence of Joel Maturi. If those reports are indeed accurate, then there is no freaking way that Maturi would ever hire him, nor should he, as one of Maturi's (or any AD's) primary responsibilities is to protect the school and the program from possible embarrassment as much as he is able to do so.

So if Leach is that much a loose cannon that he's unable to control his behavior to that degree, then he shouldn't be hired here, and it's questionable that he should even be given responsibility over young men, as that's hardly the type of example or role-model you'd want to present to them or their parents, and again, that's assuming that report is actually accurate, and I would love to hear definitively one way or the other.

But if he's not even a candidate, then I'm about dead-certain that story is probably true.

Quote: "I am confident that the University of Minnesota will not select Mike Leach. Why, because he has the best and most proven track record, under the most difficult circumstances, he wants the job, but he made somebody stand in a shed in the shade."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are correct. There is no way in hell that the U will ever hire Mike Leach. The reasons are exactly the same ones that Texas Tech had for firing Leach.

Here they are:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leach was suspended by Texas Tech after he refused to agree to guidelines for dealing with players set forth by school officials in a Dec. 23 letter:

Among the guidelines:

- “Decisions regarding whether an injury warrants suspension from practice and/or play will be determined by a physician without pressure from you or your staff.”

-“There will be no retaliation against any student who has suffered an injury.”

Texas Tech’s official statement said that Leach’s actions made it impossible for him to remain coach of the Red Raiders:

“In a defiant act of insubordination, Coach Leach continually refused to cooperate in a meaningful way to help resolve the complaint. He also refused to obey a suspension order and instead sued Texas Tech University,” the statement said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leach is trouble with a capital "T". There is no way that Bruininks is going to sign off on his hiring with the other alternatives they are going to have for a new coach.

Mike made a football player stand in the shade in a shed. If this is too much for the Golden Gopher faithful to digest, then I have news for us all, we are never going to climb out of this latrine we are wallowing in. We don't have the mental toughness to really want victories.

Winona Phantom we salute you!
Michigan 0
Minnesota 22
24 October 1953
SKI-U-MAH!

Heard from a very good source on Saturday that Leach isn't being considered. (Not even remotely) It's too bad because I think he would be a Holtz-like hire for this program. I also heard that they are most interested in Patterson. The qoute to me was "think TCU" . I guess there are some big boosters and admins who really like him and he had a lot of interest before we decided to hire the guy who sold cars at Nan Tim.

No, Leach would win AND not cheat.

vinko,

1. I am no expert, but in my view, what Leach did with Texas Tech in the Big XII South is pretty incredible, considering you are guaranteed to face Texas and Oklahoma each and every year, and normally neither Texas A&M nor Oklahoma State are slouches. Then you have to deal with the rest of the Big XII where the only traditional weaknesses seem to be Baylor (not this year) and Iowa State.

2. If we are talking about somebody who has proven they can do more with less, this is the man. In my humble opinion Boise State and TCU do not have the brutal schedule that the Red Raiders face year in and year out. In my way of thinking, there is no comparison. So no, I am not terribly impressed by any of the other coaches at programs such as Connecticut, Temple, Boise State, Texas Christian, etc. They may indeed be better coaches, but I remain unconvinced, because I don't think their accomplishments and their week in and week out competition is anywhere near the same level as in the Big XII South.

3. I recently read a thread plugging the Connecticut coach, and my first thought was, if you want to purchase this person, then why in the hell did we fire Glen? Yes, I admit that I am a Masonite, and yes, I would take Glen back in a heartbeat, but I know that is not going to happen. Having said this, my point is that Glen Mason is the standard against which all coaching candidates should be measured against. We should not be measuring the candidates against Tim Brewster.

4. Mike Leach's record speaks for itself. If Robert Bruininks, Joel Maturi, Tony Dungy, and the Atlanta search firm do not seriously consider Mike, then they are not serious about improving Golden Gopher Football. Mike made a football player stand in the shade in a shed. If this is too much for the Golden Gopher faithful to digest, then I have news for us all, we are never going to climb out of this latrine we are wallowing in. We don't have the mental toughness to really want victories. Minnesota is a university which would never have selected George S. Patton to lead our 3rd Army in Europe. Thank God Ike had 51 percent of the vote.

5. I am confident that the University of Minnesota will not select Mike Leach. Why, because he has the best and most proven track record, under the most difficult circumstances, he wants the job, but he made somebody stand in a shed in the shade.:(

Simply a tremendous post. My only disagreement is on Chris Petersen and Gary Patterson. Those two a great head coaches and proven winners. Boise and TCU have consistenly defeated teams from BCS conferences the past 4-5 years.

No, Leach would win AND not cheat.

Exactly. He has no history of violations, just winning and graduating players. I think Maturi has decided to not answer my Leach emails anymore, time for someone else to carry the torch.

Seany, agree with your post 100%. I would have been very excited about Leach until I heard the story about him at the Insight Bowl. I'm not sure how many guys still supporting his hire know about this incident or, as it appears in this thread, they are choosing to ignore it. Guys, do you really think Maturi would or should hire someone he saw plastered at a college football event where he was representing his school?

I've heard a lot of rumors and stories that aren't true, I have no more reason to believe that this is true than believe that it isn't.

Top Bottom