Leach & Belotti: Which school would they prefer Minnesota or Colorado?

Tricks

Reaction score
I know both Leach and Belotti have been mentioned for both jobs. Both are currently unemployed and looking for jobs. Which school do you think either would prefer Minnesota or Colorado?

Minnesota can afford to pay more money. That probably counts for something.

Colorado is possibly more appealing in terms of the campus and weather, but in terms of football potential I'd take the Gophers.

I'm starting to be more intrigued by a scenario where we hire Bellotti with a plan to have a coordinator take over at some point once he gets things going.

Could Live with Either Coach

Leach would light a fire in the Big Ten!

But the thought of Belotti doing this also, and then having one of his assistants take over when he's had enough of coaching is extremely intriguing.

If this were the scenario, it would be great if Belotti, or one of his protegees' could also take over as athletic director during his tenure so that we knew the football program would continue to be supported.

Would Belotti want to stay in the Pac-10. It could go either way, would he want to compete against Oregon.

Minnesota and it's not even close. Facilities, financial capacity, recent recruiting, etc.

Minnesota and it's not even close. Facilities, financial capacity, recent recruiting, etc.

It could definitely be debated as it isn't as clear cut as you make it seem. They had quality facilities and in regards to recruiting, they have significant connections with California recruits. They currently have 27 californians on their roster and this would likely grow even greater as a new member of the PAC 12. For Belotti in particular with his strong recruiting connections in California, it would be an easy transition at Colorado as far as recruiting is concerned.

Colorado is somewhat hamstrung by many of the same things we are, most notably a definite sense of tension between the football program and some of the ultra-liberal faculty who resent football and the money it receives (while apparently failing to note the income that football also generates for the school).

I'd say that's even worse in the Peoples Republic of Boulder. I mean there is some serious resentment there bordering on active dislike, and that's only been exacerbated by the problems that Neuheisel and Barnett had at the school. The forces of political correctness are just incredibly strong in Boulder, so my opinion is that Leach would probably fit in there like a sore thumb.

Based on what? Have you been to Boulder and seen their facilities? TCF Stadium is obviously nice but what about the indoor facility and weight room? Go to school with a breath taking view of the Rockies or worry about getting mugged on an urban campus.

Financial capacity? You're talking about a team that took a bus to Iowa City last year because of a budget crunch.

Recent Recruiting? This is the most absurd nugget. What talent do you speak of? Let me guess....the best players on the team are being redshirted just like last year :cool02:

Colorado is somewhat hamstrung by many of the same things we are, most notably a definite sense of tension between the football program and some of the ultra-liberal faculty who resent football and the money it receives (while apparently failing to note the income that football also generates for the school).

I'd say that's even worse in the Peoples Republic of Boulder. I mean there is some serious resentment there bordering on active dislike, and that's only been exacerbated by the problems that Neuheisel and Barnett had at the school. The forces of political correctness are just incredibly strong in Boulder, so my opinion is that Leach would probably fit in there like a sore thumb.

BS

The city is liberal, yes, but they love the Buffs. I work for a CU grad and we were just talking about this subject--they fully support the football team... just not when there are hideous things going down with the team/coaches. When the program is not enhancing the reputation of the university, and adding to that academic aspects of the school, yes... a lot of people will question throwing more money at it. Pushing a political agenda on this topic is stupid.

I'd say that's even worse in the Peoples Republic of Boulder....

As a former CU employee and Boulder resident these kind of comments always give me a "WTF?" moment. When the team was winning it was a big deal in town among those who are into sports, no different than anywhere else. Every campus has its groups that resent the football/basketball hoopla and what big-money (or even little-money) athletics has become. I'm not sure where the portrait of Boulder as hippie mecca came from, because it isn't like that at all. In fact, less so than other schools I've been associated with, including the UofM. Stereotypes have a way of taking on a life of their own and overshadowing the truth, tho...

CU does have a pumped up self-image, though. They definitely believe they're "Ivy League" caliber, floating on a cloud somewhere above their public university peers, and the Barnett episode was doubly embarrassing because of that.

I think for Bellotti, Colorado would actually be a more intriguing possibility. Most of his ties are to the west coast and especially the Pac 10. I am not 100% sure that he would want to play against Oregon every single season though.

As far as Mike Leach, I don't think it matters a ton. I guess he would probably prefer someone who would just hire him and then let him coach the team. So if a relationship with the AD was something that would play a big factor, I would guess (with knowing nothing about the Colorado AD) that Colorado might have a bit of an advantage there as well.

The answer is simple.

If either of the two were offered both jobs at the same time, they would ask one question:

How much you paying?

WTF? :eek:
Have you never heard of the Rocky Mountains? It tends to get cold and snowy up there.

It doesn't get nearly as cold there as here and while it snows more, in the foothills it tends to melt pretty fast. They also have more days of sunshine per year then here.

It doesn't get nearly as cold there as here and while it snows more, in the foothills it tends to melt pretty fast. They also have more days of sunshine per year then here.

Who is more likely to have a blizzard during the football season? Boulder or Minneapolis?
Weather doesn't matter in the offseason (you never have to go outside).

Who is more likely to have a blizzard during the football season? Boulder or Minneapolis?
Weather doesn't matter in the offseason (you never have to go outside).

Does Boulder get more snow yes, does it melt pretty quickly, yes. Is it warmer than Minneapolis, yes. You also seem to be equating the snowfall in Denver and Boulder to that of Vail for instance and they are vastly different. A ton more snow in the mountains than in the foothills of Boulder.

Correction: Boulder actually gets about half an inch less snowfall on average per year than Minneapolis

Does Boulder get more snow yes, does it melt pretty quickly, yes. Is it warmer than Minneapolis, yes. You also seem to be equating the snowfall in Denver and Boulder to that of Vail for instance and they are vastly different. A ton more snow in the mountains than in the foothills of Boulder.

No kidding they don't get as much snow as Vail. The only reason weather would affect any hire is if they thought it would negatively affect their football team. I am saying bad weather is more likely to effect a Colorado home football game than a Minnesota home football game.

No kidding they don't get as much snow as Vail. The only reason weather would affect any hire is if they thought it would negatively affect their football team. I am saying bad weather is more likely to effect a Colorado home football game than a Minnesota home football game.

Minneapolis actually gets more snowfall on average than Boulder and it is colder than Boulder, so there goes your weather argument.

Minneapolis actually gets more snowfall on average than Boulder and it is colder than Boulder, so there goes your weather argument.

Neither gets consistent snowfall in November. Who is more likely to get a freak blizzard?

I am also on record as saying weather has no impact on how attractive the Minnesota job is, so there really isn't a weather argument.

Neither gets consistent snowfall in November. Who is more likely to get a freak blizzard?

I am also on record as saying weather has no impact on how attractive the Minnesota job is, so there really isn't a weather argument.

I don't know which has a higher likelihood of a blizzard in November, but feel free to share if you can find it out with data to back it up. In regards to Leach and his thoughts on the weather, who knows. I do know he moved to the Florida Keys upon leaving Lubbock and stated how much he liked the laid back beach lifestyle there. He may not like any of these jobs who knows, maybe the Arizona State job or Miami job will open soon.

I don't know which has a higher likelihood of a blizzard in November, but feel free to share if you can find it out with data to back it up. In regards to Leach and his thoughts on the weather, who knows. I do know he moved to the Florida Keys upon leaving Lubbock and stated how much he liked the laid back beach lifestyle there. He may not like any of these jobs who knows, maybe the Arizona State job or Miami job will open soon.
I can pretty much tell you with 100% certainty, Leach's favorite job offer is the one that offers him the most money.

I can pretty much tell you with 100% certainty, Leach's favorite job offer is the one that offers him the most money.

If that was the case then why didnt he leave Texas Tech earlier, he could have made more money elsewhere a lot earlier? He wasn't making that much money at Texas Tech, especially prior to his last season.

If that was the case then why didnt he leave Texas Tech earlier, he could have made more money elsewhere a lot earlier? He wasn't making that much money at Texas Tech, especially prior to his last season.

A few reasons on this:
He was already at a program he had established himself in. He used the interest by other teams as leverage to get a new higher paying contract. There has never been any concrete proof he was even offered a job at a major program. There have been rumors saying that his TN interview was so bad he was dropped from consideration. No one really even knows if he got an offer. Even if he did, TT was a program he had established, and they have him a new contract with a raise. After the Harrell/Crabtree year was the first time he was really being mentioned for the Top jobs.
Not many coaches leave programs established for a lateral move. Unless you are moving into a top program, all the other BCS jobs are pretty much a wash. The only guys I can really think of who made a move from one BCS program to another that wasn't a major step up in terms of prestige was Lane Kiffin to USC and Houston Nut to Ole Miss.

Now he is in a completely different situation. He doesn't have a program he is leaving, so it is purely on appeal of the programs. Any one of those schools that would be interested could have him for the right price.

WTF? :eek:
Have you never heard of the Rocky Mountains? It tends to get cold and snowy up there.

The weather in Boulder is 10x better than in Minneapolis. I live in Denver and while it snows a lot here, it usually melts the next day. One day it will be a blizzard, the next it will be 60 or 70 degrees. Happens all the time. I think that's one of the great attractions of Colorado...you get to enjoy snow, but you don't have to deal with it for 4 months of the year.

I do think the job is a toss-up, but I think the climate is better here and I think the support for CU is better than at the U. There is some competition with CSU, but I think that almost makes the fan base better to have a rivalry like that. If CU starts winning consistently, Folsom Field will be packed and rocking.

The facilities are pretty even. I have not been inside either TCF or Folsom, but from pictures and talking to people, I might choose Folsom because of the incredible view of the Rockies.

I think money is similar at both schools. The move to the Pac 10 will certainly help CU finanically.

folsomfield-at-sunset-jeff.jpg

To answer GopherGod and Rosemountian's argument, Boulder is more likely to get a blizzard in November. But Boulder is also more likely to get a 75-degree day in November.

Amazingly, we have not had a snowflake yet in Denver (and the 10-day forecast says sunny every day). I don't think this is a normal fall.

To answer GopherGod and Rosemountian's argument, Boulder is more likely to get a blizzard in November. But Boulder is also more likely to get a 75-degree day in November.

Amazingly, we have not had a snowflake yet in Denver (and the 10-day forecast says sunny every day). I don't think this is a normal fall.

I don't think anyone from the Rocky Mountains to Ohio has had any bad weather yet this fall. It has been a great fall.

The winter is actually supposed to be bad this year in some parts of the country because of La Nina

Top Bottom