last play of first half

Maroon92

Reaction score
I would love to hear from the coaches what play was called on the last play of the 1st half. The only one that should have been called was one to the end zone. Instead they spread the receivers around so the 2 on the other side of the field have no chance to help run down the DB after the pick. Gray threw it to the 20 where even if he completed it he would never have scored. Does anyone think Gray just threw it early because the guy was open (NDSU had 5 guys back over the receivers) or were they hoping to get a catch and lateral or some other play there.

Either way the coaches have most of the blame in this game. I like Kill a lot but i see no difference (yet) from Brewster and the same errors, overconfidence, lack of hustle, stupid penalties at crucial times and horrible tackling techniques.

I'd like an explanation for that whole last series (not just the last play).

I'd like an explanation on that, but I do gotta give credit to NDSU on that return. I hate them but that was one hell of a play

It was a classic case of what's wrong with the team. NDSU was playing to the whistle and we were standing around with our hands on our hips watching.

That play epitomizes Minnesota sports. The lateral hits the ground, yet the ball bounces directly into the guys breadbasket and goes untouched to the end zone. I thought that type of gimmick quit after high school, but not when you throw in our cursed program.

I was screaming, "Take a knee" sarcastically. How ironic that I totally right.

The game was lost in the first quarter. We march down the field and instill our will on them. Then on their first series, on 3rd and long we sack the QB, only to get an illegal hands in the face penalty. Changed the whole dynamic of the game. I could just feel the "here we go again" mentality set in. Without that self-inflicted wound, this is a different game. I guarandamntee it

The game was lost in the first quarter. We march down the field and instill our will on them. Then on their first series, on 3rd and long we sack the QB, only to get an illegal hands in the face penalty. Changed the whole dynamic of the game. I could just feel the "here we go again" mentality set in. Without that self-inflicted wound, this is a different game. I guarandamntee it

That's EXACTLY how I felt as well

Yup. Stop them there, get the ball back after our long drive to start the game, maybe get another score - it's a different game.

I feel that if we stop them there and score we end up blowing them out.

I feel that if we stop them there and score we end up blowing them out.

While this could be true, if it is, it's not a good sign that the psyche of our team is that dependent on early success (to the degree of a blowout win rather than a 2 td loss).

It's like that with most shaky teams, and we are without doubt a shaky team.

There were so many opportunities to win this game. Don't put the hands to the opponents face mask, and NDSU's drive ends. And lining up offsides might just be the worst penalty in the game of football. It's not like you make a mistake trying to make a play, you simply didn't pay attention to where you were and where the ball is.

The interception return for a touchdown at the end of the first half was a matter of the Gophers not playing to the whistle, while NDSU played to the whistle. Yes, it's a freak play. But when you're on the bad side of so many freak plays, it's not just luck. The Bison player was on his way to the ground, but he wasn't down yet. If the Gopher players were playing to the whistle, the play ends without a score.

last play of 1st half

I do agree that hands to the face penalty on NDSU's first drive was huge.

I am just still baffled at why the last play wasn't a hail mary. In the post game interview on KFAN Kill mentioned they didn't want to punt because of it getting block but what yard line were they on--about the 45? All the receivers should have been on the same side and thrown to the back of the end zone-- is the issue Gray can't throw it 50+ yards in the air.

Kill lost me when he decided to run, twice, with 16 seconds left. Kill is not the answer from what what I have seen. That series made it pretty clear to me.

We were down by 14, with time running out in the first half. We have made adjustments at half, but wait rather than running out the clock we go against form and decide its a learning moment for Gray. It was contarty to everything I know about playing the game and decide on a hail Mary, but the problem the ball needs to reach the end zone. I thought at the time does Gray have that kind of arm?
Again, the coaches know his limits and they called it. This is on Coach Kill and Coach Limegrover.

Seems like whenever anyone takes a knee whether it be the Vikings or the Gophers, the place goes crazy with boos and the fans get mad.

Top Bottom