Lansing State Journal prediction: MSU 77, Minnesota 71

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Lansing State Journal:

• Prediction: I’ve picked MSU to win both of its first two Big Ten games. I like the Spartans to win this one, too — for whatever that’s worth. MSU has had Minnesota’s number in recent years. The Gophers haven’t adjusted well in-game to what’s working for the Spartans. And I think MSU is better at three positions. But I thought that in the last two games, as well.

Make it: MSU 77, Minnesota 71

Go Gophers!!

Right now the Gophers are the better team. Going with the better team. Just like i thought we would beat Iowa while at home with the routine , the home rims, home food, choice of basketball.

We haven't been within 10 points of MSU in the last 4 years. I'll take a competitive game and let the chips fall where they may.

We haven't been within 10 points of MSU in the last 4 years. I'll take a competitive game and let the chips fall where they may.
We have not had a team this close in a long time and MSU is not close together like they usually are.

We have not had a team this close in a long time and MSU is not close together like they usually are.
So it should be a competitive game then. Let the chips fall where they may.

When’s the last time Sparty lost 3 in a row under Izzo. Lets hope we can keep it close in terms of rebounding, if so we’ve got a solid chance.

I wouldn't bet on this game but I think it should be competitive.

If you saw the WI/MSU game you saw a classic BB chess match with two very experienced and wily game day coaches adjusting the players on the floor to create a mismatch.
It was the most entertaining game I have seen so far.
The MN/IA game was playground BB of run and shoot and defense was an afterthought.
Izzo is going to have his players ready and will have them ready to exploit what he perceives as MN's weaknesses.
Can Pitino do the same?

If you saw the WI/MSU game you saw a classic BB chess match with two very experienced and wily game day coaches adjusting the players on the floor to create a mismatch.
The MN/IA game was playground BB of run and shoot and defense was an afterthought.
Izzo is going to have his players ready and will have them ready to exploit what he perceives as MN's weaknesses.
Can Pitino do the same?
Will be great to find out.

Should be a good game, just from a quick glance they have only beaten a highly overrated Duke team thus far. I also wasn't impressed with their PG the little I saw of him.

Not unusual for Izzo to be beside himself about his team this time of year. But he is a little more frustrated than normal about the lack of toughness, the defensive breakdowns and selfish play.

Can Pitino do the same?
If we play playground ball, Rocket Watts can make up some of the disadvantages he has going head to head with Czar. After that, the Spartans can physically beat the Gophers up on the boards and in the paint. So, this is a tough game for the Gophers to try to pull off as they don't match up well with the physical teams in the B1G.

So, here are what I think the keys are for the Gophers:

1. Keep the Gas on. Half court against the Spartans is a Gopher death sentence. Keep the pace up and make them try to score with you. It will help Watts, but not too many of the rest of the Spartys and it will keep the Gophers from getting pounded inside.

2. Stay out of foul trouble. Gotta keep our productive players in the game. Robbins, Johnson, and Ihnen need to be able to play defense at the end.

3. Continue making shots. Ok, maybe not another 8 for 9 performance, but the Gophers need shooting to win. Let's say 10-13 3s from a smattering of players at say a 39-42% clip. And keep making your freaking FTs!

4. Stay within single digits on the boards! God would this help immensely! Would love to see the Gopher box out and keep this stat close.

5. Play solid D.

That's it. Otis' keys to the game.

A typical Izzo team physically destroys this Gopher team.

However this isnt a typical MSU team. And yet I feel Izzo will have them ready. I feel like this will be a blow out either way: either we cook them with good shooting and transition play or they beat us up and izzo wins by 20

For me, the key to the game will be getting one of the other 4 guys going so far that have had a rough start to the conference year. Gabe, Gach, Mashburn, and Ihnen are a combined 3/31 from 3 in the two conference games. That can't continue, Gach has been good the rest of the year so I have faith he'll bounce back, but we need the Gabe/Mashburn/Ihnen trio to be shooting at least 35% combined from 3. Gotta have the other options to score.

A typical Izzo team physically destroys this Gopher team.

However this isnt a typical MSU team. And yet I feel Izzo will have them ready. I feel like this will be a blow out either way: either we cook them with good shooting and transition play or they beat us up and izzo wins by 20

I know there's no such thing as zero percent chance...but the Gophers might honestly have a better chance of beating Gonzaga than of beating MSU and Izzo by 20 points.

That being said, I do think the Gophers have a 50/50 chance of winning.

I have a hard time believing MSU would lose 3 in a row. Also it seems just about right for MN sports to lose this one. Hope not but just my feelings.

I know there's no such thing as zero percent chance...but the Gophers might honestly have a better chance of beating Gonzaga than of beating MSU and Izzo by 20 points.

That being said, I do think the Gophers have a 50/50 chance of winning.

Pretty sure he was saying THEY beat us by 20 if the shooting and transition play are not there, not the other way around.

Pretty sure he was saying THEY beat us by 20 if the shooting and transition play are not there, not the other way around.

Ok? I'm pretty sure he wasn't:

".. I feel like this will be a blow out either way: either we cook them with good shooting and transition play or they beat us up and izzo wins by 20.."

He is clearly saying one team is gonna get a whoopin', just doesn't know whom will be giving and whom will be receiving.

I have a hard time believing MSU would lose 3 in a row. Also it seems just about right for MN sports to lose this one. Hope not but just my feelings.
Nothing against you personally but what is it with the defeatist attitude in MN? I think this originally started due to the stoic Minnesotan not wanting to get too high or too low but I think it is now self fulfilling. It even permeates players from out of state. This eeyore-like, woe is me, self-deprecating stuff impacts recruiting. Why would a student athlete want to come here when they hear the fan base wimping out? We're just trying to not get our hopes up so we don't get hurt. It's time to put an end to this. If you fall off of the bike, get back on and try again until you don't fall. We need to toughen up a bit.

Top Bottom