Lane Kiffin says state of college football is 'a disaster'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per ESPN:

Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin didn't wait for questions on the impact of the transfer portal and name, image and likeness deals at SEC media days on Thursday. Instead, he addressed both topics during his opening statement, calling the current state of college football a "disaster."

Kiffin prefaced his comments by saying he's happy that players can get paid but said the unintended consequence of NIL is a "pay-for-play" system where players follow the money and the teams with the deepest pockets get the best talent.

With the transfer portal, Kiffin said, "free agency" now exists -- except that, unlike professional sports, every college player can enter into free agency twice a year with the spring and winter transfer windows.

Said Kiffin: "We've got professional sports," except with no salary cap or luxury tax, and the result is myriad "issues" for coaches.

"And I'm not complaining about it 'cause we take advantage, obviously, of free agency," he added.

Between transfers and high school recruits, Kiffin tallied 40 new scholarship players on the roster this summer.

"That's the world we live in," Kiffin said. "But at the same time, I don't think that's really good for college football. These massive overhauls of rosters every year really is not in the best interest of college football.

"There's kind of your state of union on the situation of what all coaches are dealing with around the country -- really, a poor system that isn't getting better and now is going to get worse. Because again, now we just look at recruiting rankings and you're going to see that they're usually going to follow this donor base and what schools are going to decide to give the most money to the players. So it is what it is. We'll deal with it like we do with everything else, but somehow it's got to get fixed because there's no system around it."

Go Gophers!!

It is terrible but I’m still going to take every advantage of it I can and cash some big paychecks-Lane Kiffin

Personally I don’t take exception to either part of this.

He's not wrong. Even if you are the winner in this game it's still chaos.

It's as if the NFL had no contracts whatsoever and players could basically switch teams whenever they want.

And I don't think we've even begun to see the real arms race start. The money being talked about is still chump change compared to where things will go unless there are major changes.

Like or hate him Lane Kiffen is spot on.
It won't stop until sometime within this decade we see the first college jersey with a huge logo on the front.

Alabama with a giant Tide Detergent logo on their chest running out to face the Ole Miss Pointbets.

Do we hate or do we love capitalism and a free market?

What we really want, I guess, is some sort of restraint on labor. The NFL model, maybe, where player movement is limited and you have a draft in order to prevent bidding wars for the best players (aka the best employees).

It's interesting that not many people seem to be arguing that these players are actually students, rather than employees. Did Cardale Jones blow that argument out of the water?

Do we hate or do we love capitalism and a free market?

What we really want, I guess, is some sort of restraint on labor. The NFL model, maybe, where player movement is limited and you have a draft in order to prevent bidding wars for the best players (aka the best employees).

It's interesting that not many people seem to be arguing that these players are actually students, rather than employees. Did Cardale Jones blow that argument out of the water?
Dumb tweet aside, Cardale Jones was actually known as a pretty good student at OSU

He was correct on everything he said yet he was still wrong. The NFL is wrong, not college players. Saquon Barkely and Josh Jacobs would agree with me.

I agree with him...still, nothing any of us haven't thought of before. Yes, things are getting out of hand. Hopefully at some point the NCAA goes back to sitting out for a year after a second transfer. That might help. But, if Gopher fans and donors come up with millions and millions of dollars a year and dole out the most NIL money in college football while luring the best 5-star players in the country, I won't have a problem the system.

He was correct on everything he said yet he was still wrong. The NFL is wrong, not college players. Saquon Barkely and Josh Jacobs would agree with me.
i guess barkley and jacobs should have been a WR or CB

As Murray said in so many words, players are not serfs bound to a master and his land, they are students who have not signed a contract that guarantees a certain term of employment at a certain wage.
Coaches leave all the time for what seems to be greener pastures so players should have the same rights.
There are some rules when players can enter the portal.
Why the paranoia? Did not PJ strengthen his team for this year via the portal?

Here's the thing with the SEC coaches they love to complain. Now that every one is on a even playing field life is great for the rest of the country. lol.

Top Bottom