Lane Kiffen should be hired

Ralph_Wiggum

Banned
Reaction score
He has a winning record in college. He's from here and can most accurately take advantage of the new facilities. He has a good recruiting record. I think the gophers need to get away from the Aw Shucks, cornpone, country gimmick and get a coach who is interested in winning with good athletes and playing football with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan.

You can sell Kiffin on being in the easier divisions and having the best stadium and facilities in the division and being in MPLS.

Claeys and Kill before were coaches who can take you to one-level but not the upper-level you have in Meyer and Dantonio and Harbaugh. Go for a little flash but flash with experience in Kiffen. He's the OC at Alabama and he has experience at USC and Tennessee. Plus his time in the NFL gives him a recruiting edge. Nick failed in the NFL but he uses his experience in the NFL as a hook to get recruits and tell them he can get them to the NFL.

And you bring Monte Kiffin in as DC and you really sell the "I can get you to the NFL" recruiting pitch.

Claeys seems like a nice guy, but he's just not as sellable in the long run.

He has a winning record in college. He's from here and can most accurately take advantage of the new facilities. He has a good recruiting record. I think the gophers need to get away from the Aw Shucks, cornpone, country gimmick and get a coach who is interested in winning with good athletes and playing football with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan.

You can sell Kiffen on being in the easier divisions and having the best stadium and facilities in the division and being in MPLS.

Claeys and Kill before were coaches who can take you to one-level but not the upper-level you have in Meyer and Dantonio and Harbaugh. Go for a little flash but flash with experience in Kiffen. He's the OC at Alabama and he has experience at USC and Tennessee. Plus his time in the NFL gives him a recruiting edge. Nick failed in the NFL but he uses his experience in the NFL as a hook to get recruits and tell them he can get them to the NFL.

And you bring Monte Kiffen in as DC and you really sell the "I can get you to the NFL" recruiting pitch.

Claeys seems like a nice guy, but he's just not as sellable in the long run.

LOL, thanks for your input, Lane...

This is a much better suggestion than Ken Niumatalolo.

I think the gophers need to get away from the Aw Shucks, cornpone, country gimmick and get a coach who is interested in winning with good athletes and playing football with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan.

We already interviewed him once.

If he had any success we would have another Tennessee situation here and he'd be gone.

As for that "gimmick" ..... we did that what? Kill? That was it? That sounds like moving from Glenn to Brewster: Gotta go young and get a recruiter!

This is a much better suggestion than Ken Niumatalolo.

Yes, Kiffen has the experience and he's got a good football mind and you can his dad to help coach and recruit. The best high school athletes want to play in the NFL. Look at what Dantonio has done at MSU and Urban Meyer. Dantonio has two QBs in the NFL starting and Bell and DBs in the NFL. Meyer has a great track record. Harbaugh is impressive.

The Hee-Haw coaching track is done at Minnesota. Get a guy who can take you to the next level. The Big Ten West is ripe for the taking and Kiffen would best utilize the facilities and advantages of being in MPLS.

We already interviewed him once.

If he had any success we would have another Tennessee situation here and he'd be gone.

As for that "gimmick" ..... we did that what? Kill? That was it? That sounds like moving from Glenn to Brewster: Gotta go young and get a recruiter!

Kiffen is 40 and I wouldn't call him young given his NFL, Tenn. USC and Alabama experience. Saban is the best coach in college football. Saban won at LSU and he had success at MSU. You need someone used to the media attention of being in the NFL and at USC in MPLS. This is not Bloomington or Madison or Iowa City. Minnesota is in a major market you need a guy who can be the face of the program and coach and recruit athletes and good players. Give me a Harbaugh or Dantonio or a Kiffen. Saban is a no BS type of guy. I'm sure Kiffen has learned a lot.

I knew the minute he started his post: DRUGS!

Kiffin generated further controversy when he told recruit Alshon Jeffery that if Jeffery chose the Gamecocks, "he would end up pumping gas for the rest of his life like all the other players from that state who had gone to South Carolina."

Seems like a great guy that we want running our program.

Yes, Kiffen has the experience and he's got a good football mind and you can his dad to help coach and recruit. The best high school athletes want to play in the NFL. Look at what Dantonio has done at MSU and Urban Meyer. Dantonio has two QBs in the NFL starting and Bell and DBs in the NFL. Meyer has a great track record. Harbaugh is impressive.

The Hee-Haw coaching track is done at Minnesota. Get a guy who can take you to the next level. The Big Ten West is ripe for the taking and Kiffen would best utilize the facilities and advantages of being in MPLS.

So you bring up a guy who has been fired from both an NFL team and high profile college program before he turned 40?

I think your opinion of Kiffin is a little inflated when you're comparing him to guys like Saban, Harbaugh, and Dantonio.

So you bring up a guy who has been fired from both an NFL team and high profile college program before he turned 40?

I think your opinion of Kiffin is a little inflated when you're comparing him to guys like Saban, Harbaugh, and Dantonio.

Getting fired by Al Davis is a badge of honor when you consider who he's fired. He had a winning record at USC and had a winning record when he was fired. USC as run by Pat Haden is a dumpster fire.

Kiffen is a good coach with a WINNING record in college and he's an assistant at Alabama under Nick Saban. I think gopher fans should want to win big and get a guy who has won big and can do the selling of the program to recruits. He went 10-2 one season at USC and would have gone to a major bowl game if not for probation.

The best football players want to play in the NFL and play in a program that gives them access to the NFL. Kill and Claeys don't have a track record of NFL production at any of their stops.

Plus the Country Jer days are over! Time to go big. Kiffen is not brewster and maybe he'll be a Lou Holtz, but why be satisfied with average.

The Gophers need a coach who eats oatmeal and fruit for breakfast not biscuits and gravy with a side of bacon.

Why did I open this thread or post in it?

Who the hell is this Kiffen fellow?

Yep we need Bloomington Jefferson's own Lane Kiffin as our next head football coach. Lane I cruise bars
for college age women Kiffen under an alias. No thank you. He will possibly be a head coach somewhere else, but not here.
Remember before Brewster was hired he was interviewed and thought he was to much of a hot shot for Minnesota.
What is his nickname Johnny Freshwater when he is cruisin or looking to crush.

Next thing you know someone is going to start a hire "The Pirate" Mike Leach thread. These threads are entertaining but we already have a coach.

I'm hoping this is a continuing trend of entertaining suggestions!

The best football players want to play in the NFL and play in a program that gives them access to the NFL. Kill and Claeys don't have a track record of NFL production at any of their stops.

What? They're sending guys to the NFL at Minnesota.

Getting fired by Al Davis is a badge of honor when you consider who he's fired. He had a winning record at USC and had a winning record when he was fired. USC as run by Pat Haden is a dumpster fire.

Kiffen is a good coach with a WINNING record in college and he's an assistant at Alabama under Nick Saban. I think gopher fans should want to win big and get a guy who has won big and can do the selling of the program to recruits. He went 10-2 one season at USC and would have gone to a major bowl game if not for probation.

I laughed at your "badge of honor" line. He was a bad coach in the NFL, plain and simple. It's great that he won at USC. But he should win at USC. Even with the sanctions, USC has a huge advantage over schools like Minnesota. Coaches should win big there, not go 4-7 over their last 11 games like Kiffin did.

Yes they do. The six Gopher players drafted over the past two years is more than the previous seven years combined. To think Kiffin can just come in and be able to recruit the same caliber of players he did at USC and Tennessee is ridiculous.

Plus the Country Jer days are over! Time to go big. Kiffen is not brewster and maybe he'll be a Lou Holtz, but why be satisfied with average.

Or maybe Lane Kiffin will be Lane Kiffin. You know the guy who has been fired twice already in his young career.

Who's satisfied with average? Just because people don't agree with your take on the current coaches doesn't mean they are okay with being mediocre. Why do people have such a hard time understanding that? Some people think this staff can take the program to the next level.

The Gophers need a coach who eats oatmeal and fruit for breakfast not biscuits and gravy with a side of bacon.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

Seriously - No "big-time" coach is going to commit to the U until they have a Permanent AD in place. Too much uncertainty - let's say coach "hot-shot" takes the job - then the U turns around and hires an outside AD who doesn't like the new FB coach. that's trouble - with a capital T.

Until the U makes a decision on the AD - Goetz or someone else, the safe move is to keep Claeys as the coach.

Lane Kiffin is scummy. He is trouble. He has no character, class and questionable ethics. There's a better than even chance he would do something to jeopardize the program and the school. We would probably end up on probation. Quality college kids wouldn't respect him. If I had to choose between Kiffin or a 5-7 record the next 5 years, I'd gladly accept the latter. Assuming Kill is the man we believe he is, I'd take aw-shucks guys with high character and integrity like Kill every time.

Lane Kiffin would only bring disaster to pc Minnesota. He is not a good fit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lane Kiffin is scummy. He is trouble. He has no character, class and questionable ethics. There's a better than even chance he would do something to jeopardize the program and the school. We would probably end up on probation. Quality college kids wouldn't respect him. If I had to choose between Kiffin or a 5-7 record the next 5 years, I'd gladly accept the latter. Assuming Kill is the man we believe he is, I'd take aw-shucks guys with high character and integrity like Kill every time.

No way would a majority of gopher fans take 5-7 over five years over Kiffin. Kiffin has won and won in high profile places. He went to Bloomington Jefferson. It's not like he doesn't know what good things Minnesota has to offer. You can have integrity and wins at the same time.

I mean Mason did better than Kill and yet so many gopher fans dislike Mason but think Country Jer was so awesome! Country Jer is a good coach and it's too bad he has to resign, but the U needs to move on and go onto the next level instead of trying to be the next Iowa. The Gophers can compete for national championships and beat the crap out of Wisconsin every year if gopher fans wanted it.

Aren't you tired of Wisconsin and Iowa winning all these years? Heck sleaze balls like Alvarez and Bulimia walked over Brewster and Country Jer.

You mean all it takes to win national championships is for the fans to want it?!?!? Why didn't we think of that before?!?!?

This has to be a bit, right?

Top Bottom