LAGopher: Nolen and Williams academically ineligible for 2nd semester?

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
LAGopher wrote this in the Nolen thread an hour ago, but given it's implications, I thought it should have it's own thread.

LAGopher said he heard this information "from a member of the academic advisor team."

Has anyone heard any more info about this? If so, this is the first time I've heard of it, as I thought people said everyone was doing fine in class?

I don't want to make something of it if it's entirely false/incorrect, but given the HUGE implications for this if true (we'd be down to 9 guys, not to mention losing our starting PG for the year), I'm wondering if anyone else has some insight either way?

This potential news is WAY worse than anything else we've had to deal with thus far this year because both of these guys are proven quantities on the court that have been playing well lately.

Goldy, if a "member" of the academic advisor team spread this before it happened, it would be a firing offense for violation of confidentiality. Period.

Thanks TJ but I kind of think of this as a new rumor as it includes a second player

This rumor started last week. Already a long thread on it on this board.
Thanks, I heard rumblings, but LAgopher's post seemed to have more detail regarding a source, as well as including Williams in the issue as well. I guess I was looking for anyone with any insight to comment, as I know there are some good sources here on GH...

Team would be in BIG trouble if this happens. How the hell do you become ineligible anyway? Do you have to keep a certain GPA or pass a % of classes?

Sorry. I really wasn't trying to spread BS or spread rumors I heard this from what I believe to be a reliable person (if it's bs it's bs) just trying to pass it on. I don't usually comment on these boards very often but I saw te tread a week ago and I figured since I heard this I would pass it on. Take it as you will....I for one hope it's untrue, I guess we will find out when the next semester begins Jan 19th

I'd rather not say too much since some people on here think letting this out would be cause for dismissal but SHE/he works on the athletic academic advisor team...according to this person tubby was irate that they let this happen and ripped them to shreds. Again i hope this person is lying or incorrect....

I only heard these two..I'm hoping it was incompletes or something like that (because incompletes could become completes with a passing grade within a week I would think)

I hope evryone is eligible. I was just asking a question.

I never want to see kids not succeed in the classroom.

If the rumor is true ...

then I hope Mr Hoffarber (Blake's dad) gets re-involved. There seemed to be a lot of credit thrown his way during Nolen's freshman year and IIRC he acknowledged that they'd worked with/on Nolen to get his academic act together.

I sure hope the rumor is not true -- both for the sakes of Al and Rodney and the team.

It's true...

...the security guard at the MOA told me.

I hope evryone is eligible. I was just asking a question.

I never want to see kids not succeed in the classroom.

You'll forgive me if after the tenor of the original question I doubt your sincerity.

Since Williams is a freshman, wouldn't he only have had to pass 6 credits to remain eligible? If I remember from when Bob Knight blasted Calipari, he said that a freshman only needs to pass that few credits to stay eligible because they then could take 18 credits the next semester to remain eligible for the following year (if they were to pass all of them). Correct me if I am wrong.

Since Williams is a freshman, wouldn't he only have had to pass 6 credits to remain eligible? If I remember from when Bob Knight blasted Calipari, he said that a freshman only needs to pass that few credits to stay eligible because they then could take 18 credits the next semester to remain eligible for the following year (if they were to pass all of them). Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm pretty sure you're right on that. Pass 18 between spring and summer.

Student-athletes must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours every semester (excluding Summer, J-Term, etc.) unless it's your final semester before graduating and you need fewer than 12 to graduate.

Things may have changed since my playing days, but IIRC you had to "maintain progress" towards graduating in 5 years and the minimum GPA was a sliding scale based on how many credits you had towards graduation. Like Bob Knight said, Rodney Williams only needs a passing grade in 6 hours (likely 2 classes) to be eligible for the Spring semester, even if he fails the other 6 hours (likely 2 more classes). Now, if you ask me, failing 50% of your classes your 1st semster in college is not "maintaining progress" towards graduation, but like I said, things have likely changed in the past 10 years.

I am probably in denial, but when was the last time we had one player out because of grade issues? And if, and big IF this is true what does this mean for their future at the U? It has been reported that Williams was not the greatest student in HS and had to have just barely gotten in.

I am probably in denial, but when was the last time we had one player out because of grade issues? And if, and big IF this is true what does this mean for their future at the U? It has been reported that Williams was not the greatest student in HS and had to have just barely gotten in.

Kevin Payton last year. This is disturbing, but Tubby seemed to indicate only minor incompletes when asked about it last week. I'll stick with his version until we hear something more then message board speculation.

Kevin Payton last year. This is disturbing, but Tubby seemed to indicate only minor incompletes when asked about it last week. I'll stick with his version until we hear something more then message board speculation.

You are sticking with coach speak.

Considering this has come from two different sources already, I would say this is very real. I 100% doubt it is speculation. Otherwise why would Tubby address it at all?

I would take the public acknowledgment that it might only be incompletes as the lone positive.

But let's all hope for the best.

You are sticking with coach speak.

Considering this has come from two different sources already, I would say this is very real. I 100% doubt it is speculation. Otherwise why would Tubby address it at all?

I would take the public acknowledgment that it might only be incompletes as the lone positive.

But let's all hope for the best.

He addressed it because someone asked. He didn't volunteer the info out of the blue.

Haven't been able to get any rock solid info on this subject but don't like what I'm hearing and the rumors going around right now are coming from all over. Hopefully it's just that, rumors, and it won't be as bad as some think it might be.

Guarantee none of this is true... Wasn't it Nolen's freshman year he made the Deans list?? There was something on the Journey about it that year...

Top Bottom