Lack of National Search Disappointing. 39th Recruiting class is not enough

Every once and a while we need a good idiotic thread so 99% of us can be in agreement for once. I will be the first to say thank you Ralph Wiggum!

I find it amazing that some people are trying to reason with him.

A Mason-revisionist Troll.

Wow. I thought these were nearly extinct, but every now and again one rears its ugly head and reminds us that there are a few out there.

The 'good old days' weren't nearly as good as some like to pretend they were.

I laugh at the Tony Dungy reference. He would've been a horrible recruiter. I played softball with Tony and Ron Kulus( Gopher ( WR ). Nice guy, but the personality of a damp mop. He fit perfectly in the NFL.

Well, I agree that Tony would not have done well as an up-and-coming coach working his way through the college ranks, but if he decided to take over a college program now, his NFL experience would more than make up for his lack of a rah-rah personality.

Well, I agree that Tony would not have done well as an up-and-coming coach working his way through the college ranks, but if he decided to take over a college program now, his NFL experience would more than make up for his lack of a rah-rah personality.

Yeah, I mean, look at Nick Saban and Mark Dantonio (for example) - two guys just bubbling over with personality. They must have a difficult time recruiting.

What I find hilarious is everyone trying to have a rational discussion with an obviously beautiful woman. So Ralph or is it really Rachel (wink wink) you busy tonight?

If Claeys was the right coach then why couldn't he survive a national search? I don't understand this "we have to hire him in November or we lose a recruiting class" talk. A recruiting class ranked 39th is precious enough to save?

You do realize that Country Jer never won more than 8 games in a season? You do realize the gophers aren't going to make a bowl game this season.

Do you really believe Country Claeys is the best coach the gophers could hire?

According to Rivals the gophers are ranked 39th. Let's say it is around 30 for the sake of argument. Ok. Now what has Country Jer and Claeys done to warrant getting the job? Mason got 10 wins in a season. We've gone through Brewster and Kill for this?

Yes I am part of the "never should have fired Mason" crowd, but history has proven us correct. You who couldn't wait to get rid of Mason suddenly fall in love with a coaching staff that never got more than 8 wins and will not make a bowl game this year after 8 wins last year.
uploadfromtaptalk1447352865934.jpg

Exactly how I feel, Glen... Exactly...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No matter how bad of a day I am having, Ralph makes it worse.

What I find hilarious is everyone trying to have a rational discussion with an obviously beautiful woman. So Ralph or is it really Rachel (wink wink) you busy tonight?

the only thing Ralph has in common with Paris Hilton is hepatitis.

The only national search that needs to be done is for a mental health professional who specializes in delusional thinking who can hopefully help Ralphie.

If Claeys was the right coach then why couldn't he survive a national search? I don't understand this "we have to hire him in November or we lose a recruiting class" talk. A recruiting class ranked 39th is precious enough to save?

You do realize that Country Jer never won more than 8 games in a season? You do realize the gophers aren't going to make a bowl game this season.

Do you really believe Country Claeys is the best coach the gophers could hire?

Yes, I do. Why would an A-list coach want to come to a school in a pro sports and hockey town when his football program can be the top attraction in town almost everywhere else? Didn't we learn that when trying to replace Mason and Brewster?

Yes, I do. Why would an A-list coach want to come to a school in a pro sports and hockey town when his football program can be the top attraction in town almost everywhere else? Didn't we learn that when trying to replace Mason and Brewster?

Question 2: Why would an A-List coach come to a school with an interim AD?

Question 2: Why would an A-List coach come to a school with an interim AD?

Question 3: where is all this money going to come from to lure a "hot" coach to come here? It isn't like the coffers are overflowing with money.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is not what is happening here. No one knows for sure if Claeys will be successful.

He keeps calling Kill and Claeys names, rips on them for only winning 8 games, and then says Kiffin would be a great get for the program. He also says Claeys will not succeed even thought he is just like the rest of us, we don't know what will happen.

I don't agree with him, but I don't really care about his motivations for having a particular view about how a coaching hire should have gone. The fact that future events could validate his view is enough to prevent me from calling him a "troll" or a "moron." I know that you are not part of the uncouth mob but I feel they deserve even more contempt than this poster.

I don't agree with him, but I don't really care about his motivations for having a particular view about how a coaching hire should have gone. The fact that future events could validate his view is enough to prevent me from calling him a "troll" or a "moron." I know that you are not part of the uncouth mob but I feel they deserve even more contempt than this poster.

Proven right in that TC could fail, sure.
Listing Mason and Kiffin as options 1A, 1B? Priceless.

We didn't?!?!?

It's fitting that I put together a long informative post and that's the line you choose to quote. It was well knows that Maturi was on his way out and wouldn't be the AD for the new coach, so "we didn't have an A.D." is correct in my mind- coaches want to be the A.D.'s "guy" if the A.D. is tied to the success of the coach, it gives that coach more leverage. I thought you were smart enough to realize this, lesson learned. I'll be even more painfully clear in my next post so there won't be any grey area.

It's fitting that I put together a long informative post and that's the line you choose to quote. It was well knows that Maturi was on his way out and wouldn't be the AD for the new coach, so "we didn't have an A.D." is correct in my mind- coaches want to be the A.D.'s "guy" if the A.D. is tied to the success of the coach, it gives that coach more leverage. I thought you were smart enough to realize this, lesson learned. I'll be even more painfully clear in my next post so there won't be any grey area.

I figured it was yet another lame-ass attempt at a Maturi attack. Regardless, Kill was hired in December 2010, and Maturi announced his eventual retirement in February 2012 (15 months after Kill was on the job), so you're wrong either way. I'm "smart enough" to realize that you very rarely know what you're talking about.

I figured it was yet another lame-ass attempt at a Maturi attack. Regardless, Kill was hired in December 2010, and Maturi announced his eventual retirement in February 2012 (15 months after Kill was on the job), so you're wrong either way. I'm "smart enough" to realize that you very rarely know what you're talking about.

In the poker world, people like you are known as a donk. They think they know what they are doing, but they just slowly donate their money to those who know what they are doing and bemoan their "luck". It's amazing how many people you go out of your way to pick fights with and end up looking silly. I should have just let your little remark go, as I usually choose to laugh instead of respond. My mistake.

In the poker world, people like you are known as a donk. They think they know what they are doing, but they just slowly donate their money to those who know what they are doing and bemoan their "luck". It's amazing how many people you go out of your way to pick fights with and end up looking silly. I should have just let your little remark go, as I usually choose to laugh instead of respond. My mistake.

Attack me all you want. You'll still be 100% wrong. You thinking that I "look silly" is a surefire sign that I'm right on track.

OK, I accept that Claeys is the coach for the foreseeable future. I'm just glad we aren't paying him much money and it's only a three-year contract, but I'm afraid that the country people will start calling for an extension for recruiting and so on after he wins 6 games next year.

I want the gophers to be successful and beat Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan regularly. I just cringed when we gave Kill a raise and extension a little while ago. And I wonder how smart Country Claeys is since he negotiated without an agent or attorney and took only a three-year contract. But it will be cheaper to find get a new coach later on.

Jimmy Sexton must have choked on his coffee when heard about this.

give me 6 wins/year for the next 20 years and I'm thrilled.

Glen Mason first 5 years:

1997 Minnesota 3–9 1–7 T–9th
1998 Minnesota 5–6 2–6 T–7th
1999 Minnesota 8–4 5–3 T–4th
2000 Minnesota 6–6 4–4 T–5th
2001 Minnesota 4–7 2–6 T–10th

Jerry Kill first 5 years:

2011 Minnesota 3–9 2–6 6th (Legends)
2012 Minnesota 6–7 2–6 T–5th (Legends)
2013 Minnesota 8–5 4–4 4th (Legends)
2014 Minnesota 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (West)
2015 Minnesota 4–3 1–2 T–4th (West)

If you think that Mason was on the right track after 5 years, you should also think that Kill was on the right track. Hiring Claeys keeps the Gophers on that track.

I wasn't in favor of firing Mason myself. But I moved on and supported the Gophers.

OK, I accept that Claeys is the coach for the foreseeable future. I'm just glad we aren't paying him much money and it's only a three-year contract, but I'm afraid that the country people will start calling for an extension for recruiting and so on after he wins 6 games next year.

I want the gophers to be successful and beat Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan regularly. I just cringed when we gave Kill a raise and extension a little while ago. And I wonder how smart Country Claeys is since he negotiated without an agent or attorney and took only a three-year contract. But it will be cheaper to find get a new coach later on.

Jimmy Sexton must have choked on his coffee when heard about this.

Did you know Kill was the 7th coach Minnesota offered the job to when he accepted? Are you retarded?

Top Bottom