Kyle Shanahan hired as 'Skins OC - no word on Fisch

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
I don't even understand how this is possible - you CAN'T hire a coach for a lateral position. There is just absolutely no way to make it happen!:cool02:

b53a5f.jpg

for howeda7

I can think of three ways 1. A contract clause allowing Kyle to leave to work with his father. 2. End of contract; most NFL assistants are year to year. 3. Voluntary release from his contract. I'm betting on 2 but the other reasons are equally valid.

I don't even understand how this is possible - you CAN'T hire a coach for a lateral position. There is just absolutely no way to make it happen!:cool02:

No need to bump it on my behalf. I'm a big Mike Shanahan fan and look forward to seeing them work together.

It doesn't mean I was wrong. Clearly, Gary Kubiak allowed Kyle Shanhan to leave and coach with his dad. He could have denied him from leaving to take a lateral position. Due to his friendship with Mike and the family, he didn't. If Mike tries to hire Leslie Frasier as his DC, do you think he'll be able to? Not a chance. Rumors are that he'll try to hire Mike Zimmer from Cincy as his DC? Will he be allowed? No.

No need to bump it on my behalf. I'm a big Mike Shanahan fan and look forward to seeing them work together.

It doesn't mean I was wrong. Clearly, Gary Kubiak allowed Kyle Shanhan to leave and coach with his dad. He could have denied him from leaving to take a lateral position. Due to his friendship with Mike and the family, he didn't. If Mike tries to hire Leslie Frasier as his DC, do you think he'll be able to? Not a chance. Rumors are that he'll try to hire Mike Zimmer from Cincy as his DC? Will he be allowed? No.

I thought you'd just admit your mistake, acknowledge my superiority, and move on. Instead, you have grabbed a shovel and kept digging deeper.

Again, your understanding of this is elementary at best. If they really want to play hardball, they can offer someone a promotion. For example, Shanahan the Elder could've offered his son the OC job along with something like "Executive VP of Being Awesome" or some other made-up title, and because it is technically a promotion, Kubiak could do nothing. Shanahan can now do likewise with Zimmer, if he so chooses.

And, further, the latter doesn't even matter, because Zimmer's contract runs out in a month, and he can then do whatever he wants. I'm pretty sure Shanahan can wait a month to get the guy he really wants, as it's not like Zimmer needs to be in place for recruiting purposes. The Bungles would just be better off letting him leave and saving a month's worth of salary.

I thought you'd just admit your mistake, acknowledge my superiority, and move on. Instead, you have grabbed a shovel and kept digging deeper.
/QUOTE]

Really, is that how it works?:)

Again, your understanding of this is elementary at best. If they really want to play hardball, they can offer someone a promotion. For example, Shanahan the Elder could've offered his son the OC job along with something like "Executive VP of Being Awesome" or some other made-up title, and because it is technically a promotion, Kubiak could do nothing. Shanahan can now do likewise with Zimmer, if he so chooses.

And, further, the latter doesn't even matter, because Zimmer's contract runs out in a month, and he can then do whatever he wants. I'm pretty sure Shanahan can wait a month to get the guy he really wants, as it's not like Zimmer needs to be in place for recruiting purposes. The Bungles would just be better off letting him leave and saving a month's worth of salary.

Your superiority? Wow. Whatever. You initially claimed there was no rule at all stopping assistants making lateral moves. You were wrong. I haven't seen you ackowledge that.

I never said they couldn't get around it by offering a promotion, but it can't be the simply BS you're implying. They basically have to make them assistant HC's. The original team could give them the same promotion to stop them from leaving. I was not clear whether the original team could simply allow them to leave or if the promotion had to be part of the deal. Clearly they can allow them to go if they choose, and Kubiak did. That is a rare case. Normally a team is not going to let an assistant leave, unless it no longer wanted them in the first place. The Vikings lost Scott Linehan to Miami because Red was unbelievably cheap and wouldn't give them multi-year deals.

I was not aware that Zimmer's contract was up, so in that case I am mistaken. It is unusual for an assistant coach in the NFL to coach to the last year on his deal.

Your superiority? Wow. Whatever.

Ever hear of a joke? Sorry for hurting your delicate feelings.

You initially claimed there was no rule at all stopping assistants making lateral moves. You were wrong. I haven't seen you ackowledge that.

No, I never said that. Why would I admit or acknowledge something that I did not say? Quote me and prove me wrong.

I never said they couldn't get around it by offering a promotion, but it can't be the simply BS you're implying. They basically have to make them assistant HC's. The original team could give them the same promotion to stop them from leaving. I was not clear whether the original team could simply allow them to leave or if the promotion had to be part of the deal. Clearly they can allow them to go if they choose, and Kubiak did. I was not aware that Zimmer's contract was up, so in that case I am mistaken. It is unusual for an assistant coach in the NFL to coach to the last year on his deal.

I assumed that you understood I was joking with the whole "Executive VP of Being Awesome" bit. But since I clearly have to spell things out for you, that was a joke. What I was saying was that they have to give him a title. "Assistant Head Coach" or "Associate Head Coach" or whatever are as meaningless as "Executive VP of Being Awesome." That was my whole point. I can't believe I actually had to spell that out.

I was actually wrong about Slowik. He will be on staff, just not as the DC. But at least I just had a bad guess, and didn't invoke some lame rule that no one other than pedantic jerks would actually enforce. Since Kubiak is not a jerk, bringing up the rule was pointless.

Where in the world did you ever hear such a thing? Link?

"We all know that's part of football and as far as Kyle or any coach I have, I want what's best for them. I think we've all known that if Mike gets back in the business, which it looks like he will, that his son coaching for him someday is very important to him."

- Gary Kubiak

Why would he say that if "assistants aren't allowed to make lateral moves"?

This is from the original thread. If you can ackowledge you didn't know the rule existed. I'll ackowledge not knowing the fine print of it.

Ever hear of a joke? Sorry for hurting your delicate feelings.

I got the 'Exec. VP of being Awsome' joke. Not bad. But I wouldn't put it past posters on this board (not necessarily you) wanting thier superiority ackowledged, so I didn't know whether to assume sarcasm or not. I mean an Iowa poster came here genuinely upset that no Gophers congratulated him on beating an above average ACC team in the Orange Bowl. Who know what to take seriously sometimes?

No, I never said that. Why would I admit or acknowledge something that I did not say? Quote me and prove me wrong.

See above.

I was actually wrong about Slowik. He will be on staff, just not as the DC. But at least I just had a bad guess, and didn't invoke some lame rule that no one other than pedantic jerks would actually enforce. Since Kubiak is not a jerk, bringing up the rule was pointless.

Slowik wasn't a bad guess, but no matter how loyal Mike is he must realize how bad the Denver D was in 2008. Mike Zimmer is an upgrade if he can get him.

I disagree that only 'jerks' would try to do whatever they can to retain thier assistants. Danny Snyder has a lot of money. Does that mean he should be able to go around and offer the best coordinators available $2 million bucks a year to leave thier current teams? That's what this rule is for. Not for cases like Kyle Shanahan. I don't think teams attempt to hire away current coordinators very often, so this rule is not often enforced. But the fact that it exists may stop some owners from even trying such things in the first place.

Besides all of the back and forth bickering aside, this was my main concern after he was hired to begin with. He always came across as a guy that was looking to advance his career and not look to stay in the OC coordinator capacity too long.

My original thought was if he did indeed leave it was because he would have been wildly succesful, which in turn wouldn't have hurt the program, but to jump ship this quickly is not going to be good for the program.

That leaves the main question, "Is Tim Brewster just incredibly unlucky or unwise in his hirings?"

Does anyone know Fisch's salary? Whatever it is, I'm assuming that WR coach for Dan Snyder will be a signficant raise if he's offered the job. It's debatable whether it's a good career move though. 3 jobs in 3 years doesn't look good on anyone's resume, even football coaches. I would also hope that his pride would drive him to come back and prove he knew what he was doing here.

Good question on Brew's hirings. Certainly degrees of both.

Top Bottom