Kudos to the Pioneer Press, and a wake up call for the Star Tribune

husker70

Reaction score
While the Pioneer Press has as their Top Story, Top Minnesota Recruit Jonah Pirsig Choses Gophers over Iowa, Wisconsin. A picture and short article. The Star Tribune to date, nothing, nunca, nada. Phil Miller, paging Phil Miller. No blog nothing.

Now KFAN on the clock, do they have a clue. Maybe a contact, maybe an interview?

If you go back to the article, they've added 3 nice pictures of Jonah and family at TCF give his verbal today.

i sent a short email over to phil miller at the minneapolis paper to let him know they are dropping the ball on their recruiting coverage. st. paul pioneer press may have broke it, but i highly doubt pirsig gave them an exclusive or something. poor showing thus far by minneapolis tribune. step it up guys.....step it up.

[email protected]

MV over at FBT had his write up ready to go with the commitment this morning. Not that it will surprise anyone here but it is well done and very informative.

It doesn't sound like his commitment was a well kept secret, though. You'd think the Star Trib would have maybe snooped around a bit and had a story ready.

That said, I appreciate Phil Miller's coverage.

Interesting information from MV in the comment section of FBT, just in case you missed it:

For sure. I hear Limegrover absolutely nailed this.

I think the honesty approach is going to work better for all MN prospects, especially outstate kids. I was told a story the other day about how Brewster asked Bryce McNeal no less than 20 times during a recruiting visit at his office if he’d commit right then and there. It got so bad that Bronson McNeal had to cut him off and say “He’s not committing today.” I doubt that approach would have been effective with Jonah.

Marcus just tweeted this as well. "The fact that Kaler came out to meet Pirsig on his visit today shows you how invested new U president is in football program. That's huge."

Nice update to the article with more details in PP. Leighton did a nice job on this.

Marcus just tweeted this as well. "The fact that Kaler came out to meet Pirsig on his visit today shows you how invested new U president is in football program. That's huge."

Certainly this is nice (it never hurts) but the U has had a history of President's taking time to meet with recruits, as do most schools with top kids. Heck, we got in some trouble when Yudof met with Adam Boone on one of his visits after his time at UNC. I forgot what the violation was, but it definitely was a minor violation. President B also met with recruits on occasion in the major sports.

Go Gophers!!

Great picture of the family walking into TCF.

20110730_122300_PirsigCommit_3_500.jpg

It is now past 9 P.M. Central Daylight Time, and nothing, absolutely nothing. This has gone from failure to embarassing. The coverage on the Pioneer Press has expanded. Hello, Star Tribune. Hello?

It is now past 9 P.M. Central Daylight Time, and nothing, absolutely nothing. This has gone from failure to embarassing. The coverage on the Pioneer Press has expanded. Hello, Star Tribune. Hello?

They are on vacation.

The Strib is often rated by their peers as one of the worst papers in the country. Bad writers, bad editors, bad owners. Completely out of touch with their potential readers.

My favorites are in almost every long article, they introduce something like a "according to Anderson," which makes you read back to find out who Anderson is. You never do...

The Strib is often rated by their peers as one of the worst papers in the country. Bad writers, bad editors, bad owners. Completely out of touch with their potential readers.

My favorites are in almost every long article, they introduce something like a "according to Anderson," which makes you read back to find out who Anderson is. You never do...

Oh good.. I'm not the only person with that 'problem'. I always thought it was me. lol

Oh good.. I'm not the only person with that 'problem'. I always thought it was me. lol

haha, same here. This crap ALWAYS drives me crazy as i'm a fast reader so i'm always scanning the article trying to find "anderson."

I love the Star Tribune. It's always good for a laugh. Straight from Sid's column today, "His hometown, Blue Earth is only 45 miles from Iowa City, but Jonah Pirsig..." Really Sid? Really?

45 miles to IC

That is "as the crow flies"!

I love the Star Tribune. It's always good for a laugh. Straight from Sid's column today, "His hometown, Blue Earth is only 45 miles from Iowa City, but Jonah Pirsig..." Really Sid? Really?

According to Ask.com: The distance between Blue Earth, MN and Iowa City, IA is 189.0 miles(304.0 km)

Check your facts, Strib...

anyone know who the sports editor is at the mpls paper? is there more than one of them?

According to Ask.com: The distance between Blue Earth, MN and Iowa City, IA is 189.0 miles(304.0 km)

Check your facts, Strib...

According to Google maps, the distance is 254 miles. 125 from Blue Earth to Minneapolis (going up 169).

Phil Miller might want to consider another line of work. I guess he does not work on the weekends, or maybe he is working on his next Brewster article. Nice sports coverage star tribune!!!

Phil Miller might want to consider another line of work. I guess he does not work on the weekends, or maybe he is working on his next Brewster article. Nice sports coverage star tribune!!!

I hope there is a reason, and I'm not going to get on Phil Miller about it either. Last year he was, by far, the best Gopher writer for either paper. I don't know if his responsibilities have been changed at all, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

For your information

Pioneer Press reporter Tim Leighton, who covers high school sports, broke the story. Not even Marcus Fuller had the story, though I'm sure he knew about through the sports editors. Leighton also had all the inside knowledge of Henderson's recruiting process. What probably happened is that Leighton had been in touch with Pirsig's dad, and he called Leighton days in advance to tell him the Pirsig's plan. It's called a scoop. It happens.

That being said, I think Miller and Marcus have done a great job. I don't remember the Gophers ever having so much coverage in the area, and that includes KFAN and the TV stations. Not bad, considering the program had a terrible three-year stretch.

Go Gophers.

Just maybe....

.....he might be on vacation! That would make a lot of sense since he is going to be very busy in a week. A year ago everybody was singing his praises because of the increased reporting from him. It is the old story of but what have you done for me this week.

I guess his biggest mistake was not checking with this board to see if he could go on vacation!

With big ten media days earlier in the week it seems a little unlikely Miller would be on vacation right now. I'm pretty sure he just wrote an article for the strib about Fickell in the Friday or Sat paper.

I like Miller, he's a def improvement over Youngblood who was awful. Could be any number of reasons he didn't cover the Pirsig story, I don't think him being on vacation is the reason though. Hopefully the strib gets the message that readers want that kind of coverage (but i won't hold my breath).

anyone know who the sports editor is at the mpls paper? is there more than one of them?
I have no idea, but I'd guess that Sid's column is one of, if not the most read items in their paper with the highest daily circulation. I'd even be willing to give it a pass if Sid meant to say it was 45 miles from the MN/Iowa border, that would be way off as well. It's like 10 miles.

Before we bash the Strib too much and praise the PP, let's consider this:

1) Strib sent TWO reporters to Big Ten Media Day in Chicago to cover for two day. Miller and Scoggins.
2) PP sent no one. Apparently the Gophers aren't worth it.
3) Frankly, I'd say that is more reason for the PP to be on alert and give kudos the Strib.

Good chance that Miller was in transit between Chicago and MSP on Saturday? Could be why the delay. Also, as noted, the Strib prep reporter probably should be the guy who breaks a story like this.

.....he might be on vacation! That would make a lot of sense since he is going to be very busy in a week. A year ago everybody was singing his praises because of the increased reporting from him. It is the old story of but what have you done for me this week.

I guess his biggest mistake was not checking with this board to see if he could go on vacation!

$hit, the Star Trib is suppose to be the big local paper, how about have another staff member write the story. Especially considering it was #2 most viewed story in the pioneer press, but what do I know. Hey, enjoy your weekend.

Top Bottom