Kudos on academic success

mggoph

Section 112, Row 1
Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38605&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204938084

Blog: Gophers Enjoying Academic Success

As the spring semester begins to wind down, thoughts around college campuses all over the country turn toward final exams, grades and eventually graduation. The same is true at the University of Minnesota and within the Golden Gopher football program.

"Since I've been here, it has been in our mission statement that we want our football players graduate," Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster said. "Year in and year out, we want do a great job in the classroom."

Of the 26 seniors who were on the Minnesota football roster for the 2009 season, 23 have already graduated or are on pace to graduate this spring. Combined with graduates from the 2007-08 (14-of-16) and 2008-09 (13-of-13) years, this year's numbers would mean that 89 percent of those Gophers who reached their senior year of eligibility left the University of Minnesota with degrees.

In addition to success graduating players, the Gophers have also recorded a solid showing in the Big Ten All-Academic teams over the past couple years. Following the 2008 season, Minnesota tallied 27 Big Ten All-Academic Team members to lead the entire conference. Last season, 22 Gophers were on the Big Ten All-Academic Team, ranking No. 3 in the league.

Another indicator of academic success and progress is the Academic Progress Rate, widely known as the APR. While APR numbers won't be official until the NCAA announces it later this year, the score for this year is expected to be the best ever for a single year in the Gopher football program.

"I couldn't be more pleased with our graduation rates," Brewster said. "I'm also extremely proud of the progress we've made with our APR over the last year."

Much of the aforementioned academic success can be attributed to the emphasis put on academics by Coach Brewster, his staff and the athletic department as a whole. An important factor in student-athlete academic success at Minnesota comes from programs available to student-athletes such as Mentor Tutors, Student Writing Support (which is a free service for all U of M students) and the Peer Assisted Learning program.

Brewster said the dedication he and the Gopher football team have made to academics is shown through the staff members who are responsible for the team's academic program.

"I'd like to personally thank Chris Elrod and Chris McNelley for their dedication to helping us in the area of academic support," Brewster said.
-Andy Seeley

SIAP

How will the Brewster haters turn this into a negative? Should be interesting.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38605&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204938084

Blog: Gophers Enjoying Academic Success

As the spring semester begins to wind down, thoughts around college campuses all over the country turn toward final exams, grades and eventually graduation. The same is true at the University of Minnesota and within the Golden Gopher football program.

"Since I've been here, it has been in our mission statement that we want our football players graduate," Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster said. "Year in and year out, we want do a great job in the classroom."

Of the 26 seniors who were on the Minnesota football roster for the 2009 season, 23 have already graduated or are on pace to graduate this spring. Combined with graduates from the 2007-08 (14-of-16) and 2008-09 (13-of-13) years, this year's numbers would mean that 89 percent of those Gophers who reached their senior year of eligibility left the University of Minnesota with degrees.

In addition to success graduating players, the Gophers have also recorded a solid showing in the Big Ten All-Academic teams over the past couple years. Following the 2008 season, Minnesota tallied 27 Big Ten All-Academic Team members to lead the entire conference. Last season, 22 Gophers were on the Big Ten All-Academic Team, ranking No. 3 in the league.

Another indicator of academic success and progress is the Academic Progress Rate, widely known as the APR. While APR numbers won't be official until the NCAA announces it later this year, the score for this year is expected to be the best ever for a single year in the Gopher football program.

"I couldn't be more pleased with our graduation rates," Brewster said. "I'm also extremely proud of the progress we've made with our APR over the last year."

Much of the aforementioned academic success can be attributed to the emphasis put on academics by Coach Brewster, his staff and the athletic department as a whole. An important factor in student-athlete academic success at Minnesota comes from programs available to student-athletes such as Mentor Tutors, Student Writing Support (which is a free service for all U of M students) and the Peer Assisted Learning program.

Brewster said the dedication he and the Gopher football team have made to academics is shown through the staff members who are responsible for the team's academic program.

"I'd like to personally thank Chris Elrod and Chris McNelley for their dedication to helping us in the area of academic support," Brewster said.
-Andy Seeley

SIAP
Gee, coach, you are aware that the "courses" being pursued by many of the underclassmen are more like hobbies than academics??

Gee, coach, you are aware that the "courses" being pursued by many of the underclassmen are more like hobbies than academics??

I went looking through the seniors on the roster, http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38606&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=3730219&Q_SEASON=2010 and I saw the following majors:

Communications: 3
Marketing: 6
Kinesiology: 1
Mechanical Engineering: 1
Sociology: 2
Civil Engineering: 1
Fisheries and Wildlife: 1
Economics: 1

Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a degree in basket weaving.

I went looking through the seniors on the roster, http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38606&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=3730219&Q_SEASON=2010 and I saw the following majors:

Communications: 3
Marketing: 6
Kinesiology: 1
Mechanical Engineering: 1
Sociology: 2
Civil Engineering: 1
Fisheries and Wildlife: 1
Economics: 1

Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a degree in basket weaving.
You do understand the difference between "underclassmen" and "seniors," correct?

You do understand the difference between "underclassmen" and "seniors," correct?

Yes, I do. But do you understand that these seniors used to be underclassmen? You are the one claiming they aren't taking "real" classes. Yet, somehow they apply to the degree. What are these "hobby" classes that you claim they are taking?

If I was taking the classes they are, I could be a honors student. This is such an illusion.

If I was taking the classes they are, I could be a honors student. This is such an illusion.

Following the 2008 season, Minnesota tallied 27 Big Ten All-Academic Team members to lead the entire conference. Last season, 22 Gophers were on the Big Ten All-Academic Team, ranking No. 3 in the league.

And many of the football players ARE honors students, while you sadly are neither.

Maybe so, but they also have what basically equates to a full time job while taking these classes. Please don't poo poo the amount of work these guys have on their plate as a whole.

MNGophers11 is Pantherhawk. Don't feed the Iowa troll. This is great. He HATES anything positive about the program. Too bad Pantherhawk. This is good news and you will be banned again here soon. Moron.

Really? Well the camparison is with other Big Ten football teams. Do you play for another team? I am sure not everyone is as smart as you. What classes did you take in college Einstein?

And many of the football players ARE honors students, while you sadly are neither.

"Following the 2008 season, Minnesota tallied 27 Big Ten All-Academic Team members to lead the entire conference. Last season, 22 Gophers were on the Big Ten All-Academic Team, ranking No. 3 in the league."

And the FB team's reward for such fabulous performance was MINUS 3 scholarships??

"Following the 2008 season, Minnesota tallied 27 Big Ten All-Academic Team members to lead the entire conference. Last season, 22 Gophers were on the Big Ten All-Academic Team, ranking No. 3 in the league."

And the FB team's reward for such fabulous performance was MINUS 3 scholarships??

No.

From an ESPN article: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/2064/gophers-lose-three-scholies-after-low-apr-score

Minnesota's football team lost three scholarships after its Academic Progress Rate dropped during the 2007-08 reporting period. The Gophers' APR fell from 927 to 887, and their multiyear APR dropped to 915, which is below the scholarship-reduction cutline of 925.

The scholarships were not lost as a result of the 08-09 or 09-10 reporting years. If the improvement holds, the scholarships will be back in the future.

What Rodent said.

You can knock other aspects of Brew's tenure but he's making sure these kids get their degrees. But most of the credit should go to these student athlete's, their representing the U as well by going to class and graduating.

Honors students in CeHD, congrats on that prestigious achievement :p . I'm in IT. You probably don't know what those two letters mean nor the significance of them, so I'll concede in this internet arguement, you win old timer.

I will say that although they do deserve credit, it's a sense of illusion calling them scholars, or anything remotely close to one.

Honors students in CeHD, congrats on that prestigious achievement :p . I'm in IT. You probably don't know what those two letters mean nor the significance of them, so I'll concede in this internet arguement, you win old timer.

I will say that although they do deserve credit, it's a sense of illusion calling them scholars, or anything remotely close to one.

My guess is you (thestl) fall in the engineer category and someday will need the 6 seniors who graduated with a marketing degree to help you out.

So what would ya say, ya do here?? Tom: I already told you, I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to, I have people skills, I am good at dealing with people, can't you understand that, WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE!!

ngbbs4ada4a55a49a9.jpg

Awesome news, congrats to all the graduating seniors!

(And congrats to thestl for posting some of the dumbest things I've ever read. Well done! btw, I wasn't an athlete and took classes such as "Comedy" and "On Television" as an undergrad at the U. How do you think I should go about returning my degree? Do I need to send back my master's degree too, since I couldn't have gotten it without my BA?)

CEHD is the College of Education and Human Development. IT is the Institute of Technology which is changing its name to the College of Science and Engineering in June. As far as the CEHD is concerned it's predecessor was referred to as the College of Fuzzy Thinking when I was at Carlson.

Just out of curiosty I checked the majors for the juniors and the redshirt sophomores. The vast majority of the declared majors fall under the CEHD with a concentration in Business Marketing Education. If football players are getting away with taking easy classes than it reflects poorly on the CEHD and diminishes thestl's honors distiction.

Just out of curiosty I checked the majors for the juniors and the redshirt sophomores. The vast majority of the declared majors fall under the CEHD with a concentration in Business Marketing Education. If football players are getting away with taking easy classes than it reflects poorly on the CEHD and diminishes thestl's honors distiction.

What's wrong with a business marketing degree? People keep alleging that the players are taking easy classes, so just what classes are they taking? Maybe it's not the hardest degree out there, but it's still a legitimate college degree, isn't it?

What's wrong with a business marketing degree? People keep alleging that the players are taking easy classes, so just what classes are they taking? Maybe it's not the hardest degree out there, but it's still a legitimate college degree, isn't it?
I have no problem with any degree program at the U. The poster thestl, who was claiming that the football undergraduates were taking easy classes, specifically stated that he was enrolled in CEHD with honors distiction. It's a little ironic that the biggest percentage of football undergrads with declared majors are enrolled in his college.

I have no problem with any degree program at the U. The poster thestl, who was claiming that the football undergraduates were taking easy classes, specifically stated that he was enrolled in CEHD with honors distiction. It's a little ironic that the biggest percentage of football undergrads with declared majors are enrolled in his college.

Actually, he stated that he is in IT, and was basically making fun of CEHD even existing as a college at the U.

Actually, he stated that he is in IT, and was basically making fun of CEHD even existing as a college at the U.

Well, that's understandable, no one ever makes fun of computer geeks :p (I say this as someone with a computer science major) Marketing is a perfectly legitimate major, someone has to do it, just so long as it isn't me. But I suppose he can laugh at their marketing degrees when they're landed some pretty sweet sales jobs.

If anyone thinks that CEHD grads are dumb they only have look at Eric Decker to be proved wrong. Decker's degree is in Business Marketing & Education. He also had the highest score on the Wonderlic Test.

Top Bottom