KSTP: Future Gopher MarTice Mitchell working hard awaiting arrival day

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per KSTP:

MarTice Mitchell is a 6-10, 190-pound wing from Chicago Heights, IL. The senior at Bloom high school committed to the Gophers in October, and is now anxiously awaiting when he can get to campus to begin offseason workouts.

Our Darren 'Doogie' Wolfson talked with Mitchell about his game, why he chose the Gophers, and more.

Mitchell said Rutgers was also in his mix. While tall and able to contribute inside, Mitchell prefers to play on the wing.

Go Gophers!!

Why do so many big men want to be small?

This isn't as much a Mitchell thing as it is a 'young big man' thing. I know the game is evolving and you have to be able to shoot no matter what position you play. But how many big men have been wastes because of their desire to be guards rather than having some self-awareness?

Regarding Mitchell, the wing skills are only important if you can't guard him with a wing. If the opposition can stick a 6-foot-4 guy on him, being 6-foot-10 isn't worth a whole lot.

Why do so many big men want to be small?

This isn't as much a Mitchell thing as it is a 'young big man' thing. I know the game is evolving and you have to be able to shoot no matter what position you play. But how many big men have been wastes because of their desire to be guards rather than having some self-awareness?

Regarding Mitchell, the wing skills are only important if you can't guard him with a wing. If the opposition can stick a 6-foot-4 guy on him, being 6-foot-10 isn't worth a whole lot.
Pitino will play him where he gives the team the best chance to win. On the perimeter he will have to be able to handle 6'7 guys with 7' wingspans. He will first have to match defensively or it will already be one mismatch.

From previous interviews and articles martice grew tall late. Started as a guard and he thinks he still has guard skills

Why would we be upset about him wanting to be a guard. Length on the perimeter is a great benefit. I for one hope he can play on the perimeter and could care less about his scoring at the block or post.

Seems like as long as I've played and watched hoops, there have always been bigs who loved playing like a guard and guards who loved getting inside and mixing it up like a post. Kinda like an offensive lineman who lights up when he gets to be an eligible receiver a couple of times a season and, better yet, gets to catch a pass. I don't mind that much. If he can match up on defense and eventually give a K.Durant-like look on offense, it'll be a good thing for the Gophers.

Our offense requires that the 4 be able to play on the perimeter. Brandon Johnson, Ihnen and Mitchell are a good fit at the 4 for us for that reason. We really only need one true post player on the floor at a time. Hopefully, Johnson and/or Ihnen can play well at the 3 as well. This would really help us with lineup versatility.

As some have mentioned, the real question isn't about whether or not they have the offensive skills (I think they do) to function at this level, but whether or not they can match up with 3's and 4's on the defensive end. What some forget and what intrigues me about Mitchell is that he is a late bloomer physically. He was a guard who had a huge growth spurt, but didn't lose the balance and coordination many lose when they grow. He will obviously need to get stronger, but his skills will make him an interesting play when the match-ups work out. A steady diet of 260 pound bruisers would kill him, but how many of our opponents have bruisers at the 4?

Ideally he could take a redshirt year to develop physically, but I think he can bring some value this year as well. We may have enough depth/talent in the front court (Johnson, Ihnen, Omersa, Curry) to give him that year.

Top Bottom