KSTP: Former Gophers QB Tanner Morgan prepares for pro career

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per KSTP:

It’s weird to see quarterback Tanner Morgan not in a Gophers uniform, but after six years and 15 school records at the U, he’s now chasing a pro-career.

Morgan is trying to catch the eye on an NFL team in the coming weeks. He has been working out at GameFace Training at Life Time in Eden Prairie with trainer DeVentri Jordan.

“I don’t have a playbook to study, I don’t have film to watch so being creative with my time to capitalize on it and not waste the time that I have,” said Morgan to KSTP’s Alec Ausmus.

Go Gophers!!

Love the guy, but using Purdy as a comparison for making it into the NFL is a stretch.
I think it's a stretch, but not in an entirely different galaxy. Purdy's RAS (Relative Athletic Score) isn't that much higher than Morgan's (both rank poorly in that department). Purdy is quicker and more mobile and that is where the difference lies.

I'm not saying Morgan will be anywhere near Purdy in terms of NFL playing time/production, but I don't think anyone outside Purdy's immediate family thought Purdy coud accomplish what he has at the professional level.

Maybe Morgan gets drafted late, but at the very least he'll get an camp invite. Worse guys have held clipboards.

I mean if chase daniels, charlie whitehurst, jim sorgi, etc can play long NFL Careers

There is a place for smart back up QB's where team value their film duty and almost another coach in the NFL.

I still find it sad how many gopher fans feel the need to shit on Tanner.

While I don't think it is likely, I would absolutely love to see Tanner Morgan make an NFL team and collect a paycheck for a season or two. I don't know where the Tanner hate stems from. The guy did everything right, played hard, played as good as anyone at times and poorly other times, and led the Gophers in by far the most exciting stretches in my lifetime.

I think it's a stretch, but not in an entirely different galaxy. Purdy's RAS (Relative Athletic Score) isn't that much higher than Morgan's (both rank poorly in that department). Purdy is quicker and more mobile and that is where the difference lies.

I'm not saying Morgan will be anywhere near Purdy in terms of NFL playing time/production, but I don't think anyone outside Purdy's immediate family thought Purdy coud accomplish what he has at the professional level.

Maybe Morgan gets drafted late, but at the very least he'll get an camp invite. Worse guys have held clipboards.
Purdy's college stats were much better than Morgan's, and I think those who had followed him were surprised he wasn't drafted somewhere in the mid rounds. Many draft prediction sites had him going there. Some of the evaluations were just plain off as well...focusing on his physical attributes rather than his actual production in college. Like it or not, Morgan will get focus on both, since he did not have the stats Purdy had.

I will be pleasently surprised if he lands on an opening day or practice roster. Heck, a practice roster spot pays like $11K a week, so around $200K for 18 weeks. Not chump change. I really see him having success as a coach.

I mean if chase daniels, charlie whitehurst, jim sorgi, etc can play long NFL Careers

There is a place for smart back up QB's where team value their film duty and almost another coach in the NFL.

Just because we're not overly optimistic like you are doesn't mean we're "shitting" on him. Does everything have to be binary?????

Jeez. He set some records for us and was QB during a nice run of success. There's nothing wrong with leaving it at that and recognizing it's probably the end of the rope for him, in terms of football.

If they want him for his film study, they'll offer him a job, not a valuable spot on a 53 man roster. Considering he has no scrambling ability to speak of, which pocket passer would you compare him to? By the way, the 3 players you listed at the top were all invited to the NFL combine. Tanner wasn't. It's not just some of us on gopherhole that aren't seeing his potential, hardly anyone outside of gopherhole IS seeing potential in him.

I don't know where the Tanner hate stems from.
Thinking that Tanner can't make an NFL roster isn't hate. Maybe it rubs you the wrong way because it's contradicting your opinion, but that doesn't make it hate. Or maybe you interpret it as hate because we don't share the adulation that you do for him, but again, that doesn't make it hate.

If you google online, you can find the definition of hate.

Let's see your resumes. "Played EA NCAA Football" doesn't really qualify you to judge.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

And I notice how you aren't asking for the resumes of the people who are on the positive side of Tanner having an NFL shot.

Biased at all?????? Hmmmmmm?

Thinking that Tanner can't make an NFL roster isn't hate. Maybe it rubs you the wrong way because it's contradicting your opinion, but that doesn't make it hate. Or maybe you interpret it as hate because we don't share the adulation that you do for him, but again, that doesn't make it hate.

If you google online, you can find the definition of hate.
Sports hate and the definition of hate have two different definitions.

I like Tanner and thought he was a good-to-great quarterback for the majority of his career, when he is bad, he is really bad. I think he is good enough to be a practice squad back-up QB in the NFL - a lot of those QBs aren't necessarily hired due to their arm ability, but because of their brains.

Purdy's college stats were much better than Morgan's, and I think those who had followed him were surprised he wasn't drafted somewhere in the mid rounds. Many draft prediction sites had him going there. Some of the evaluations were just plain off as well...focusing on his physical attributes rather than his actual production in college. Like it or not, Morgan will get focus on both, since he did not have the stats Purdy had.

I will be pleasently surprised if he lands on an opening day or practice roster. Heck, a practice roster spot pays like $11K a week, so around $200K for 18 weeks. Not chump change. I really see him having success as a coach.

I think the rule of thumb in the NFL scouting rooms this days is "Projection early/Production late." I think that's why Ibrahim is probably going to be drafted in the same strata as someone like Purdy. I agree that the challenge for Morgan is that he didn't put up eye-popping stats and he isn't as mobile as Purdy, Some of that is attributable to the different offenses that Morgan and Purdy ran, but I don't any team will know much about Morgan until he's throwing in a mini-camp. I think people knew more about Purdy from his previous work product.

...and he isn't as mobile as Purdy, Some of that is attributable to the different offenses that Morgan and Purdy ran...
Aren't there one or two times where Morgan kept it and tried to get around the end but the DE was always able to get him? That's ridiculously slow for someone with NFL hopes. Even Kramer doesn't get caught like Tanner would.

For all you guys that think Tanner is going to have a shot at the NFL, how do you feel about the former Georgia QB who just won 2 NCs? I'm not sure he has a chance, and he's way more mobile than Tanner. Just a legit question.

Aren't there one or two times where Morgan kept it and tried to get around the end but the DE was always able to get him? That's ridiculously slow for someone with NFL hopes. Even Kramer doesn't get caught like Tanner would.

For all you guys that think Tanner is going to have a shot at the NFL, how do you feel about the former Georgia QB who just won 2 NCs? I'm not sure he has a chance, and he's way more mobile than Tanner. Just a legit question.
Stetson Bennett is 5'11" and about to turn 26 years old. That is a big part of why he is getting very little draft buzz. But like Morgan even if he doesn't get drafted he will get a shot to try and make a team somewhere.

None of us are predicting Morgan will be a high draft pick or that he even will get drafted at all. But you and mainly GopherChase act like he has no shot to even be considered for the NFL. Morgan is unlikely to ever be a full time starter in the NFL but there are lots of backup QBs in the NFL that fit in that same boat.

To address the hate part - I don't feel like you in particular hate Morgan (Gopherchase hates him with a passion for some reason).

Just because we're not overly optimistic like you are doesn't mean we're "shitting" on him. Does everything have to be binary?????

Jeez. He set some records for us and was QB during a nice run of success. There's nothing wrong with leaving it at that and recognizing it's probably the end of the rope for him, in terms of football.

If they want him for his film study, they'll offer him a job, not a valuable spot on a 53 man roster. Considering he has no scrambling ability to speak of, which pocket passer would you compare him to? By the way, the 3 players you listed at the top were all invited to the NFL combine. Tanner wasn't. It's not just some of us on gopherhole that aren't seeing his potential, hardly anyone outside of gopherhole IS seeing potential in him.
Again posters could say good luck, don't see it etc and not resort to snide remarks or sarcastic one liners.

For the record, I don't think he'll make an NFL roster, but there are plenty of QBs who made it in NFL as back up that weren't skilled but helped in practice, film study, etc.

Stetson Bennett is 5'11" and about to turn 26 years old. That is a big part of why he is getting very little draft buzz. But like Morgan even if he doesn't get drafted he will get a shot to try and make a team somewhere.

None of us are predicting Morgan will be a high draft pick or that he even will get drafted at all. But you and mainly GopherChase act like he has no shot to even be considered for the NFL. Morgan is unlikely to ever be a full time starter in the NFL but there are lots of backup QBs in the NFL that fit in that same boat.

To address the hate part - I don't feel like you in particular hate Morgan (Gopherchase hates him with a passion for some reason).
I don’t hate the kid. I just despised watching him play post ‘19 and if anyone doesn’t think we had a huge opportunity lost last year having him come back and 8 not getting those reps from the jump, I don’t know what to say. Totally understand that I was irrational relative to 2 and 55 but they’re in the rearview now and whether their prominence and PJ constantly pimping them was a function of how well they could define FAMILY v. their ability — matters not.

How fun to have 45 and 8 now be our standardbearers those two are special.

Morgan's Pro Day 40-time was 4.97 so he's not running away from anyone. Purdy's was 4.84. I think a lack of speed can be countered a bit by making the right read and reacting quickly, but no one is going to see either of these guys as true running threats.

I was really impressed by Purdy's ability to throw on the run and I don't think Morgan has that in his repertoire at all.

Like MNVCGUY said, I don't think anyone here is predicting Morgan will get drafted (although I did believe Kieft would get drafted last year while many scoffed at the notion), but he'll be in a camp. If he shows anything, he could find his way onto a practice squad.

No hate at all. He had the best season ever by a gopher QB in 2019. Besides that he was just ok. I hope he can make a roster that would be awesome

Not quite sure what you mean by 'not a valuable spot on a 53 man roster' - every single spot is valuable. Morgan's best chance is to be practice squad or 3rd string QB. I don't think even the biggest Morgan fans are expecting a long, HOF career. I think he has some qualities that are valuable in the NFL and none of those skills are physical. Are they valuable enough? I don't know and would trust none of us on this board or we would be working for an NFL front office.

Sean Mannion played a long career mainly due to his ability to be an extra coach in the QB room.

This is where I often struggle with NFL projections. From all accounts, Stetson appears to be a total gamer. The list is a mile long of QBs who looked great and played for amazing teams/programs and ended up being total busts. Most notably: Ken Dorsey, Matt Leinart, and most of the recent Alabama QBs except Mac Jones, Tua, and Jalen Hurts - depending on if you count him as a Bama guy or an OU guy.

If I were a NFL GM and had to take a shot with one guy, I would probably go with Stetson. I might be wrong, but that is who I would take a chance with.

Leidner played in the NFL so let’s see what Tanner can do
signed to run the offense for the last preason game knowing he will be cut no matter how well he performed. He was probably sitting at home and the vikes needed a qb quick for the last game

signed to run the offense for the last preason game knowing he will be cut no matter how well he performed. He was probably sitting at home and the vikes needed a qb quick for the last game
Dick Ames knew how to get things done.

Top Bottom