Kris K in the portal

Ben's recruits who didn't last:

HS
Henley - 1 and out
Carrington- 2 and out
JOJ- 2 and out
Payne- 2 and out
Evans - 0 and out (can't blame Ben for that one)
Keinys -1 and out

Inherited players -
Thompson - 1 and out
Ihnen - 1 and out (played 1)

Portal guys
Battle 2 and out
Thiam 1 and out
Ogele 1 and out
Cooper 1 and out

Stayers
Willis, Stephens, Sutherlin, Daniels, Samuels, Curry, Big Jack (all one and done)
Pending
Hawkins, Garcia, Betts, Mitchell, Christie, Fox-??????

By my count he has had 25 scholarship players that he signed or kept (Thompson, Ihnen and Curry) and 12 (so far) have left before their eligibility was done.
Only 5 have played 2 years for Ben
That is ALOT of recruiting. We aren't the only school at our level hurt by the portal.

We aren't the only school at our level hurt by the portal.

True. We could be Louisville. They have 10 exits, similar to what we had after Pitino left. They have one commitment so far. Virginia Tech has 7 exits.

If nothing else you unload the bench to show the starters that a poor effort is not tolerable. Just crazy to me that he doesn't see the team building opportunity for the bench riders to get some time on the court. How deflating for a guy who practices hard every day to no even see the court in a blowout.

I could not understand it as well and have been concerned about his rotations for some time. After a strongish regular season it was imperative to bring most everyone back. Instead, we get another mass exodus. It seems a lot of players have not been happy playing for Johnson. Maybe he's a tool/jerk; maybe he's incompetent; maybe a bit of both. Regardless, I think his goose is cooked pending a major infusion through the portal.

I could not understand it as well and have been concerned about his rotations for some time. After a strongish regular season it was imperative to bring most everyone back. Instead, we get another mass exodus. It seems a lot of players have not been happy playing for Johnson. Maybe he's a tool/jerk; maybe he's incompetent; maybe a bit of both. Regardless, I think his goose is cooked pending a major infusion through the portal.

Some or a few, not "a lot."

It’s just baffling. Thought about it some and do you think it’s because he, Ben, never had to ride the bench? He really does not know what it feels like? Oblivious to it?

That's not quite true. According to Sports Reference, Ben started only 9 of 29 games in his junior season (his first year of playing here after his transfer sit-out). Even when he started, he was never forced to log the minutes per game that he now makes some of his players log. His minutes per game topped out at about 33 in his freshman year. He started 29 of 30 games in his final season but his minutes per game number was 28.8. Who could ever forget the Big Ten tournament game in his first season of coaching here? Four players played 40 minutes and one played 39.

That's not quite true. According to Sports Reference, Ben started only 9 of 29 games in his junior season (his first year of playing here after his transfer sit-out). Even when he started, he was never forced to log the minutes per game that he now makes some of his players log. His minutes per game topped out at about 33 in his freshman year. He started 29 of 30 games in his final season but his minutes per game number was 28.8. Who could ever forget the Big Ten tournament game in his first season of coaching here? Four players played 40 minutes and one played 39.
Wasn't that the game where at the end he looked at the bench and no one cared to go in?

In the era of the “portal at will” and NIL, you have to give all your recruits a few mins here and there. You pretty much have to recruit all season long now. Hard to say what Keinys potential is when he never got on the court, even in blowouts. I think he got in 2-3 non conference games.

Ben has yet to adapt, whether in game strategy or player usage.
As PJ said re football: "It's like the pros, but with every player a free agent and no salary caps."

You’re replying to someone who said Ben never rode the bench. He didn’t say Ben never spent any time on the bench.

Ben averaged almost 30 minutes per game for his college career and never had a season where he played fewer than 22 minutes per game.

Ben never rode the bench.

You’re replying to someone who said Ben never rode the bench. He didn’t say Ben never spent any time on the bench.

Ben averaged almost 30 minutes per game for his college career and never had a season where he played fewer than 22 minutes per game.

Ben never rode the bench.
He never did in high school either. His Freshman year Marcus Travis was an all metro Gaurd, but I recall him playing.

He led the team to the State Championship title game from 10-12 grade (lost his so yr to caledonia).

Top Bottom