Kratch on Fleck: "it would not be completely out of left field if a blue blood program or even an NFL team was intrigued."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Kratch:

The phone may ring for a good reason:

P.J. Fleck, Minnesota. Fleck got an extension through 2026 last November that had him scheduled to make $4.6 million this season (pre-pandemic) with raises each year after that. It is going to be very hard to get him to leave the Golden Gophers, and his stock has taken a bit of a hit due to their struggles this season. But the high-energy Fleck has proven he can inspire, recruit and win at places where success is traditionally hard to come by, so it would not be completely out of left field if a blue blood program or even an NFL team was intrigued.

Go Gophers!!

per Kratch:

The phone may ring for a good reason:

P.J. Fleck, Minnesota. Fleck got an extension through 2026 last November that had him scheduled to make $4.6 million this season (pre-pandemic) with raises each year after that. It is going to be very hard to get him to leave the Golden Gophers, and his stock has taken a bit of a hit due to their struggles this season. But the high-energy Fleck has proven he can inspire, recruit and win at places where success is traditionally hard to come by, so it would not be completely out of left field if a blue blood program or even an NFL team was intrigued.

Go Gophers!!

I don't love the fit of PJ in the NFL.

I think PJ could coach in the NFL, but his impact on the world is far greater at the college level.

PJ could run a company if he ever gets bored with coaching. He knows more about leadership than 99% of the leaders running companies.

If the phone rings it will be a message saying they have tried several times to get in contact with him about the warranty on his automobile, which is getting dangerously close to expiring. He needs to take action immediately.

I think NFL guys prefer "chess players" like Zim, Andy Reid, Kubiak, etc.

They don't need a coach to fire them up. They don't need a "culture" to identify with and unify them, or provide them emotional stability, in their first time living away from their parents in their lives.

I think NFL guys prefer "chess players" like Zim, Andy Reid, Kubiak, etc.

They don't need a coach to fire them up. They don't need a "culture" to identify with and unify them, or provide them emotional stability, in their first time living away from their parents in their lives.

While I don't think PJ would fit at all in the NFL, Pete Carroll and his high-energy, rah-rah thing ported over from college and has worked pretty damn well in Seattle for a decade now.

While I don't think PJ would fit at all in the NFL, Pete Carroll and his high-energy, rah-rah thing ported over from college and has worked pretty damn well in Seattle for a decade now.
It isn’t the energy that would annoy NfL players....
It is telling and teaching people how to live their life.

Fleck’s (seemingly) favorite part of the job only exists in college.
Pete Carrol had reggie bush being gifted million dollar houses while he was at USC. Pete Carrol probably loved his time at USC but he was in college football for football reasons not for college reasons.

It isn’t the energy that would annoy NfL players....
It is telling and teaching people how to live their life.

Fleck’s (seemingly) favorite part of the job only exists in college.
Pete Carrol had reggie bush being gifted million dollar houses while he was at USC. Pete Carrol probably loved his time at USC but he was in college football for football reasons not for college reasons.

Not sure what Reggie Bush has to do with it. I was replying to MplsGopher's comment that said "I think NFL guys prefer 'chess players' like Zim, Andy Reid, Kubiak, etc. They don't need a coach to fire them up." Carroll is obviously a fire-them-up kind of coach, and he's used that same approach in the NFL to great success.

Not sure what Reggie Bush has to do with it. I was replying to MplsGopher's comment that said "I think NFL guys prefer 'chess players' like Zim, Andy Reid, Kubiak, etc. They don't need a coach to fire them up." Carroll is obviously a fire-them-up kind of coach, and he's used that same approach in the NFL to great success.
I wasn’t disagreeing with what you said.
I was more agreeing with your premise that it isn’t high energy of fleck that makes him a bad NFL fit.

Agree with the points about Fleck’s message being better for college.

He’s deceptively conservative as a strategist and not exactly a guru on the offensive or defensive side of the ball. Not really a Xs and Os innovator. Usually NFL teams want a genius on one side or the other based on why the last guy got fired and what is trendy that hiring cycle.

Agree with the points about Fleck’s message being better for college.

He’s deceptively conservative as a strategist and not exactly a guru on the offensive or defensive side of the ball. Not really a Xs and Os innovator. Usually NFL teams want a genius on one side or the other based on why the last guy got fired and what is trendy that hiring cycle.
I would love for Fleck to explain his "philosophy" on offense and defense, and why he originally went with KC at W Mich and Robb Smith here. He lucked into Rossi, never planning for him to be the DC, and Sanford was a buddy hire (should've been Simon, he's reaping that now).

No way Fleck would be successful in the NFL. His best asset is his recruiting and rah rah, and that's not important in the NFL. As everyone knows, he's not a guru.. all the new NFL coaches are young offensive gurus, which is not what Fleck is.

Top Bottom