Kramer= Defensive Stud...and all around good player.

akoch6767

Reaction score
This guy continues to impress me. The crowd is going nuts after we make a run and this guy comes right back with an amazing drive to the bucket that sparked the boilers run back into the game. He also made Iverson look like a complete dimwit out there. He always finds himself in the right place at the right time, and hustles after every loose ball. I wish the gophers could find another player of his Caliber. DJ is the closest thing we got.

DJ is twice the player Kramer is. Kramer is the Bill Laimbeer of the Big 10.

While he is smart, he is also a cheap player and overrated.

Tip of the cap to Kramer & Boilers

I've never seen any evidence of Kramer being a cheap player. I think Purdue has visited The Barn three times in his career, and I've never once thought he was cheap. Hard-nosed, competitive? Yes. Cheap? Absolutely not.

The Gophers let one get away last night, no question, but the Boilers deserve a heck of a lot of credit. Without one of their studs and completely up against it, they dug out a win in a very difficult environment against an opponent desperately needing a win. That took serious guts. That's the kind of a game a championship team wins, and the Boilers certainly played like a championship team last night when it got down to winning time.

Unfortunately, Purdue does look like a championship team -- the typical "gritty" Big Ten champion that gets bounced early in the NCAA tourney.

Without Hummel they have have no chance of advancing far. Even with Hummel, I'd be concerned...when your offense relies upon your big guys consistently hitting 20 footers, then your offense is going to go through struggles. And while you can survive long offensive droughts against a team like the Gophers, you'd get left in the dust by a better offensive team.

The best result for both teams would've been for the Gophers to win but Hummel not to get hurt.

This guy continues to impress me. The crowd is going nuts after we make a run and this guy comes right back with an amazing drive to the bucket that sparked the boilers run back into the game. He also made Iverson look like a complete dimwit out there. He always finds himself in the right place at the right time, and hustles after every loose ball. I wish the gophers could find another player of his Caliber. DJ is the closest thing we got.

I completely disagree. He is a complete non-factor on offense and his "amazing drive to the bucket" was hardly amazing.

I'll give Purdue all the credit in the world. They are so talented and athletic that they pretty much play 4 on 5 on offense with Kramer in the game, Painter is a great coach, and I was very impressed they pulled the game out after Hummel went down. I'm not sure if it is Colt's fault for not being assertive, or if it is our guards fault, but he should have been punishing Kramer when he was trying to guard him. Of course Kramer was playing the same defense that Mark Madsen used to play on Shaq and somehow it wasn't a foul, but that shouldn't have mattered.

He is the kind of guy that has a nice roll on a really good team, but he would not do anything for our offensively challenged Gophers.

Kramer is a poor man's Joe Krabbenhoft. He's a nice, versatile "glue" player but a liability on offense unless he's playing alongside 3 or 4 other good scorers. Did you see how the Gophers basically didn't guard him? To his credit, he did hit a couple open shots (which, again, came because the Gophers routinely sagged off him to double other players).

His main contribution last night was a ridiculous flop that fooled the ref and took out Iverson for a while.

Unfortunately, Purdue does look like a championship team -- the typical "gritty" Big Ten champion that gets bounced early in the NCAA tourney.

Without Hummel they have have no chance of advancing far.

The one thing I was utterly confused about last night is why didn't we go after Johnson to get him in foul trouble before and certainly after Hummel went down. Purdue can certainly survive without either of those two out of the game but not both. The times Purdue has been really vulnerable this season has been when Johnson gets in early foul trouble. Hummel was able to carry the load until he would come back .. but now?

Kramer held this team together early in the second half when the team was still in shock. He and Keaton don't get a ton of press, but they're going to be missed next year.

I'm a fan of Kramer's. He does play hard-nosed.

That said, I'm always amazed to hear all the announcers describe Kramer as tough, strong, former football player, etc. Then about once or twice a game, he gets barely grazed and flops about six feet back like he was just hit by a bulldozer and gets the call. Why refs continue to fall for that move is crazy. That charging foul on Iverson last night was BS. For a guy like Kramer who we're told over and over and over again is strong, tough, etc., how can he be so weak as to get thrown around like that? Obviously, its a flop. Obviously the refs continue to go for it.

I totally agree on Kramer and Keaton. When you have 3 big time players, you can have role players. They may not be offensive stars in creating your own shots, but they do their things very well.

Kramer held this team together early in the second half when the team was still in shock. He and Keaton don't get a ton of press, but they're going to be missed next year.

Are Johnson and Moore considered to be leaving for the NBA next year or do you expect them back?

Are Johnson and Moore considered to be leaving for the NBA next year or do you expect them back?
Moore will definitely be back. There's a chance Johnson leaves, but it's pretty clear he's not ready. Overall, I'd say there's a better than 50/50 chance that everybody returns. Better if Rob is hurt and we don't make the Final Four.

We also have some pretty solid frontcourt depth coming in next year, would be nice to give them a year to watch JJ. I think we'd be the national championship favorites next year if everybody returns.

They are such a better team with all three of them in the lineup versus two. Last year with Rob's back and now with the knee is just a tough break. They would have to be favorites again next year if all three return.

That was one of the biggest issues I had last night. Iverson needed to dominate Kramer down low. Period. He got the ball in great positions in the post TIME after TIME and refused to make any sort of move. The one time he did, Kramer flopped and got the call. I suppose Colton's missed layup in crunch time validated his decisions, but seriously. You have a center guarded by a wing down low? He needs to score or get fouled every single time. Kramer played Colton tough, but there's no excuse for the offense Colton played last night. Something's obviously off in his head right now. He has no confidence, and it's causing him to make major game and season killing mistakes.

That was one of the biggest issues I had last night. Iverson needed to dominate Kramer down low. Period. He got the ball in great positions in the post TIME after TIME and refused to make any sort of move.

Colton needed to score on those possessions. Going up against a guy who is giving up major size to Iverson, he should have scored every time.

And that flop was typical Kramer. I am sorry, but he is an overrated defensive player. An underrated actor, though.

The flop

That play was right in front of me. It was a flop, no doubt. Kramer sold it really well. He knows what his role is for the Boilers. He's an intangible guy that every studly team has. And Purdue is studly (if Hummel is healthy).

Kramer v. Iverson

I did not realize Kramer was 6'3" until I read this thread. I did a little DVR review - (under the weather today.)

He is a terrific actor. He was leaning on Iverson (Kramer's body was at a 45* angle against Colton) when Iverson recvd the pass in the lane from Sampson. As soon as he Colton catches it Kramer straightens up creating a lil more space between him and Iverson and moves a little tighter to Colton. Iverson's makes a first strong move to the basket and the Kramer flop is there. A masterpiece!

Just before this play on the other end Kramer had put a move on Iverson in the lane that lost Iverson and made him look a tad silly. Kramer gets free for about a seven foot shot right in front of the basket and Iverson waves at it as Kramer scores. I think this play helped to lead to Iverson's less than heady move at the other end causing the Kramer flop.

Result: 4 pt turnaround.

Colton's brick of a layup. Colton goes up for a rebound and Kramer clobbers Colton's outstretched right arm with his (Kramer's) outstretched arm that reaches right about to Iversons elbow. Iverson still has a chance to come down with the ball and recover and get set to go straight back up but instead he flails at the ball and bounces it high off the backboard resulting in PU's fastbreak at the other end.

Result: 4pt turnaround.

I hope Iverson learned a few court tricks from Kramer yesterday.

BTW the guy that was flying at and in front of Devoe's last second shot --- Kramer.

Kramer looks like they guy you would cast as the jerk jock in a football or basketball movie.

I can't stand Kramer. I have to give him credit though...he's a hell of a hack and actor. My favorite two favorite moments of his...the award winning flop last night and his whining after the over and back when they were up by like 15 the last game.

It really upsets me when refs give players like Kramer the benefit of the doubt when it comes to calling defensive fouls on them. I mean, Kramer is such a good defensive player, he could never hack someone, right? And obviously if he falls over, it was either a charge or some other offensive foul against the other team.

It really upsets me when refs give players like Kramer the benefit of the doubt when it comes to calling defensive fouls on them. I mean, Kramer is such a good defensive player, he could never hack someone, right? And obviously if he falls over, it was either a charge or some other offensive foul against the other team.

Chris Kramer fouls on EVERY position. As do almost everyother basketball player. I will admit that charge call on Iverson was a little weak and Kramer did a hellava job acting. But don't pretend that the Gophers aren't taught to do the same thing in that sitution. Any coach worth his salt will tell kid to act on potenial charge calls right now its part of the game. Over the course of a season every team gets some calls and get the short of the stick on others.

Ironically I think Hummels injury might help keep both of them around(I thought would be here anyways) but if the season plays out something like spilt B10 Champ, bounced in the semi's of the BTT, a Sweet 16 exit those guys could easily feel that they still have something to prove and therefore stick around.

The most likely person to go is JJ because he is the most NBA ready and rumor has it his family could really use the money.

Chris Kramer fouls on EVERY position. As do almost everyother basketball player.

Obviously, if you want to be really ticky-tacky, a foul could be called on almost every play. Kramer just gets away with a lot more than other players. If Kramer got called for what Iverson did last night, he would have fouled out in the first half.

What makes Kramer so good is that he understands the game. That's how post play is called, at this level and at the NBA. If you can get the guy to put just a little much shoulder into you, they'll call it the majority of the time when you fall.

What makes Kramer so good is that he understands the game. That's how post play is called, at this level and at the NBA. If you can get the guy to put just a little much shoulder into you, they'll call it the majority of the time when you fall.

Yep, and the supposed "best officials in the world" continue to be gullible enough to keep calling this a foul.

I think Purdue's big 3 are all excellent college players, but I'm not sure any of them are first round talent. JJ must be 200 lbs, can Moore play pg in the nba, what position does Hummel guard? Hummel can be a Najara type bench player I guess.

E'Twaun isn't a PG now, so I'm not sure why he would be in the NBA.

I'd call that cheating, and I would if the Gophers did it too.

I'd call that cheating, and I would if the Gophers did it too.
Call it what you want. I would call it stupid if you don't adjust to how the game is called and do everything you can without getting whistled.

And guess what, every other team does it, too. Even the Gophers.

Top Bottom