Kirby Puckett

EasyThere Pilgrim

Reaction score
My headline might seem off-topic. But it's really not. I could have said 'Deion Sanders' attitude & behavior'....but I wanted a hard-hitting headline.

How can Sanders sleep at night. Why doesn't anyone call him a scumbag. Period.

Puckett was so positive.

Puckett is becoming more underrated each year that goes by. Nobody knows what they're talking about. Like for instance, nobody cares about how Bonds, A-Rod...absolutely stunk up the field when the games mattered.

I think Kriby's super power was that he was a competitor, dude had that drive.

Also a bit of a tragic figure too though that after sports, dude just couldn't handle himself. Some guys can't handle life out of the game. I think without sports some demos caught up with him. Had he lived longer we would think a lot differently.

Kirby seemed to hit the ball extremely hard, on a high percentage of his at bats. Even his ground outs were hit hard. That is what I remember most about him.

I love the kid who hard dissed Deon and Colorado earlier today when signed with Oregon, first by grabbing the Buffs hat but then emphatically tossing it to the side before putting on the Ducks hat.

Last edited:

Did Sanders do/say something new today that prompted this thread? Just curious.

Turn the clock back to the mid to late 80's.

I loved it when ESPN's Chris Berman would do MLB highlights at night and ad lib and improvise with his own brand of narrative. One of the best was when Kirby was at bat and hit one to the wall. Berman said "Puckett hits a line drive in to the Union Gap" (a reference to Gary Puckett and the Union Gap band).

Sorry, if you don't find that funny or can't relate, but I'm an old guy and I'm feeling nostalgic.

In the overall 247 rankings with transfers and freshmen combined...Colorado is ranked 21 overall in the country. They have several more guys that they are in on to move up higher.
The Gophers are 37 overall....did I read this is our highest rank overall?
Deion seems to be adding highly ranked players. He gets punked by high profile guys because he is a finalist for a large number of high profile guys. At #21 he obviously is convincing a good number of highly rated players to come to Colorado too.

In the overall 247 rankings with transfers and freshmen combined...Colorado is ranked 21 overall in the country. They have several more guys that they are in on to move up higher.
The Gophers are 37 overall....did I read this is our highest rank overall?
Deion seems to be adding highly ranked players. He gets punked by high profile guys because he is a finalist for a large number of high profile guys. At #21 he obviously is convincing a good number of highly rated players to come to Colorado too.
IIRC Brew’s second class ranked #24, the one with Gray.

A lot of people dont like deion because hes flashy and has much bravado but he's an exciting person who has a lot of experience in football. Certainly a polarizing figure in college football right now. After Colorado beat TCU they were appointment television and it was fun to root against him and Shadeur. He will get stellar recruits because of the spotlight and if he really has coaching chops they will improve every year. If he has too many guys like himself on the team, the chemistry will be shit.

Kirby was a powerful, fire hydrant, sparkplug guy. So fun to watch.

Kirby seemed to hit the ball extremely hard, on a high percentage of his at bats. Even his ground outs were hit hard. That is what I remember most about him.
The amazing part is he would get good cuts on pitches nowhere near the strike zone. A pitch would be shoulder high and three inches outside and he would get the barrel of the bat on the ball more often than not!

perception is tricky.

people perceive Deion as brash and a braggart. he was also one of the best all-around athletes of his era. and a hard-ass coach like Mike Zimmer is a very good friend.

people perceive Kirby Puckett as this lovable figure who led the Twins to 2 World Series titles. He was also a man who had lots of issues in his personal life including accusations that he was abusive to women.

it's dangerous to put anyone on a pedestal. athletes, musicians, actors - we can admire them for their talent, but they are still human and like all humans, are prone to error.

Turn the clock back to the mid to late 80's.

I loved it when ESPN's Chris Berman would do MLB highlights at night and ad lib and improvise with his own brand of narrative. One of the best was when Kirby was at bat and hit one to the wall. Berman said "Puckett hits a line drive in to the Union Gap" (a reference to Gary Puckett and the Union Gap band).

Sorry, if you don't find that funny or can't relate, but I'm an old guy and I'm feeling nostalgic.
Bert “Be Home” Blyleven
Mike “Enough” Aldrete

perception is tricky.

people perceive Deion as brash and a braggart. he was also one of the best all-around athletes of his era. and a hard-ass coach like Mike Zimmer is a very good friend.

people perceive Kirby Puckett as this lovable figure who led the Twins to 2 World Series titles. He was also a man who had lots of issues in his personal life including accusations that he was abusive to women.

it's dangerous to put anyone on a pedestal. athletes, musicians, actors - we can admire them for their talent, but they are still human and like all humans, are prone to error.
Yeah more than anything I just found it amusing that an alleged wife beater was used as an example to compare against Deion, who is guilty of being flamboyant and cocky.

Top Bottom