Kill's quarterback

gophergv

Reaction score
Based on the story by Phil Miller today it wouldn't surprise me if JD Pride becomes the #2 quarterback. Can Parrish or Alipate run well? It sounds like he wants an athletic QB.

Running was Parrish's major skill as a QB. There are/were doubts about his passing skills.

Based on the story by Phil Miller today it wouldn't surprise me if JD Pride becomes the #2 quarterback. Can Parrish or Alipate run well? It sounds like he wants an athletic QB.

No offense to you or JD Pride, however there is no chance that happens. Pride was recruited to get Henderson to come here. Much like John Nance was recruited to get Floyd here.

Pride is not a D1 quarterback, regardless of system.

Parish was classified as dual threat out of high school. I actually think he is exactly the type that will flourish with Coach Kill. A heady, above average athlete that may not have the greatest arm in the world.

No offense to you or JD Pride, however there is no chance that happens. Pride was recruited to get Henderson to come here. Much like John Nance was recruited to get Floyd here.

Pride is not a D1 quarterback, regardless of system.

gospel according to you? Sure, and mcknight was only here so his buddies would come too. Experts.

Pride may have improved remarkably in his RS year, but I doubt it. I agree, he is a fringe DI player at best.

There's a lot of over-thinking going on here. Kill's "system" is matching the play-calling to the personnel. He will run plays that use the abilities of the QB at hand. Alipate will be fine. He has plenty of running ability. Parrish is still a year away.

It will be Gray, Alipate, Parrish, Pride.

If Kill is half the coach I think he is, these guys will ALL flourish.

There's a lot of over-thinking going on here. Kill's "system" is matching the play-calling to the personnel. He will run plays that use the abilities of the QB at hand. Alipate will be fine. He has plenty of running ability. Parrish is still a year away.

This. Kill's OC likes to feature a bunch of different looks with his "O" to exploit matchups and pressure the defense. Check out this post from FBT to see what I mean:
Lots of stuff going on in the Limegrover offense for defenses (and me!) to dissect. QB under center and in the pistol, jet sweeps, motion, pistol play-action fakes, zone-read and midline option, bubble screens, I-Form, multiple personnel packages. This is an example of what Kill means when he stated in the press conference that he likes his offenses to be multiple and put pressure on a defense.
What this means is that they can tailor the offense to suit the personal. This is not Brew forcing a running team to run the spread.

I know the Pride family pretty well and I saw this kid play quite a bit growing up.

He is more than a fringe Division 1 football player. He was gaining quite a bit of interest from a lot of BCS schools. Most of that interest was not for him to play QB. He would have had more offers (like Olson) but he was an obvious Gopher signing (Dad played for the Gophers). We also gave him a real chance to see if QB is the right position for him.

He might have been a fringe BCS/Non-BCS conference football player, but I am almost certain he would have gotten an offer from a BCS conference school and if not, he for sure would have been offerred mid-major.

That said, I really don't think he will play QB for the Gophers. I could be wrong on him switching positions, but I can assure you that he will not be a backup next season. If he plays Division 1 QB, he has a lot to work on throwing the ball (strong arm but kind of lousy mechanics). But, he is 6'1", 190-200 lbs and he runs about as well as anyone in the state last season, so he will see the field at some time in his career (IMO), at some position.

J.D. Pride

This kid is no good. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but he is a average running quarterback in HIGHSCHOOL. This kid by no means dominated high school. The only reason his team was good because they play 4A football and had Crockett at runningback.
And for those that say he had other D1 interest, his papa generated all of that because he played D1 football. NO BCS schools were going to offer him besides Minnesota because his dad went here.
His arm is average at best.
mark my words-HE WILL NEVER PLAY QB IN COLLEGE AND MAYBE WILL BE ON THE SPECIAL TEAMS UNIT AS A SENIOR.

This kid is no good. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but he is a average running quarterback in HIGHSCHOOL. This kid by no means dominated high school. The only reason his team was good because they play 4A football and had Crockett at runningback.
And for those that say he had other D1 interest, his papa generated all of that because he played D1 football. NO BCS schools were going to offer him besides Minnesota because his dad went here.
His arm is average at best.
mark my words-HE WILL NEVER PLAY QB IN COLLEGE AND MAYBE WILL BE ON THE SPECIAL TEAMS UNIT AS A SENIOR.

I know for a fact that you are wrong about him only getting Division 1 interest because of his father. It doesn't work like that.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you didn't see JD Pride play a lot of football. Your description of him is just pretty far off base, so i'm guessing you heard it elsewhere. Am I wrong?

I watched lots of his games and can tell you what, that alex krussner who was number 10 last year and number 7 this year was better than him. They would switch off sometimes during the games. And yeah I did watch him play pretty good football against 4A competitors in the NORTH SUBURBAN CONFERENCE. I went to the Section Championship vs BSM last year and he threw 2 picks, no TDS, barely any rushing yards and passing yards and the only reason they won was because crockett had 5 TDS. They almost lost to a basketball school.

And the interest from BCS schools is a lot of times based off connections and getting invites to combines.Also I didnt doubt him getting mail from BCS schools, but mail doesn't mean anything, OFFERS do and Minnesota was his only BCS offer.

Tommy Olson doesn't have an offer from any other schools, it must be that the Gophers are the only school to be seriously interested in him. Sound logic!

The fact is that Pride was going to go to Minnesota pretty much no matter what. It really wouldn't have mattered if he was a 2 or a 4 star, he was going to be going to the Gophers, if they offerred. Kids like him and Tommy Olson (even Jimmy Gjere to a degree), aren't going to compile the most impressive "offer sheet" because they are pretty much automatic to certain schools.

Most people would agree that JD Pride isn't going to play QB at the Division 1 level, but to make a bold statement like JD Pride only got Division 1 interest because of his father is asanine. As I said in my previous post, he is a borderline prospect between the Big 10 and MAC-type conference (still D1). He's not tiny and he runs real fast (smart kid as well). He may not have been offerred by the U if not for his family (Barbers and his pops), or maybe the Henderson connection, but he certainly would have been offered by a mid-major, and he probably wouldn't be playing QB there either. I know, I know...he wasn't offered by those schools, but either has Tommy Olson, yet.

6'0" kids who run (legitimately) between 4.5-4.6, get good grades, and are positionally versatile aren't the easiest things to find, especially for mid-majors.

Sorry, Bob. You may be right, but I think you have an agenda here, and your analysis is tainted. I'm just sayin'. JD is a nice kid, but I don't think QB will be his position.

6'0" kids who run (legitimately) between 4.5-4.6

No, he doesn't. Sorry. Maybe in the 4.60-4.65 range, at best. Kids who run legit sub-4.6s out of HS (of whom there are very few) get offered by the USCs and Floridas of the world, regardless of whether or not they are "locks" to their local schools.

Crawford-Tufts is the one exception to this rule I would buy (legit sub-4.6 not getting high-level BCS offers), and he didn't get offers from the big boys because he's a track star playing football.

Sorry, Bob. You may be right, but I think you have an agenda here, and your analysis is tainted. I'm just sayin'. JD is a nice kid, but I don't think QB will be his position.

I don't really have an agenda because i've said in all my postings that he is a borderline BCS/Non-BCS level talent who will be playing somewhere other than QB. I also said that he won't be the backup nextseason (and probably never). I would agree that it is probably impossible for me to judge him the same as a kid who I have absolutely no ties with. I'm not trying for it alter my view, but I don't think my view is that radical. It actually doesn't sound like our two views on the kid are too different.

I'll say it again, JD Pride would have gotten a Division 1 offer regardless of his last name. It might not have been at the U or any other BCS school, but he would have been playing Division 1 football, probably at DB or WR. This ranking of him is pretty much directly in-line with the scout, rivals and espn.

I'll buy what Bob's selling.

If Marcus Sherels ran a legitimate 4.34 40, than Pride could have ran a 4.55 40. Timings are a crapshoot anyway. The only way to truly gauge 40 speed is that have athletes run on the same electronic system.

I'll buy what Bob's selling.

If Marcus Sherels ran a legitimate 4.34 40, than Pride could have ran a 4.55 40. Timings are a crapshoot anyway. The only way to truly gauge 40 speed is that have athletes run on the same electronic system.

I'm not saying he has that kind of speed. I am just saying that JD Pride was one of the fastest guys in the state his SR season and he wasn't tiny (6'1", 190). His SO season (Michael Floyd's SR season), I think most people would have said that JD was faster than Michael Floyd. I know Floyd doesn't exactly set the world on fire with blazing speed, but JD was also only 15 at the time. I would think that JD ran anywhere between 4.55-4.62 if I had to guess. I could be off by a few tenths of a second on either side of that, but I was more or less trying to make a point that he is kind of the prototypical fast kid that you get into school and then find a position for.

If Marcus Sherels ran a legitimate 4.34 40

He didn't, though.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/87297447.html

He ran twice, and was timed at 4.37 and 4.41 with stopwatches. And, as someone else mentioned here, the rule of thumb is to add .24 to stopwatch-timed 40s. That would put him in the 4.6-4.65 range, which is where he would be in reality.

The only way to truly gauge 40 speed is that have athletes run on the same electronic system.

Bingo - which is why it's ridiculous when anyone attaches the word "legitimate" to any non-laser-timed 40. Those in fact are the only way that a 40 is legitimate.

I am just saying that JD Pride was one of the fastest guys in the state his SR season and he wasn't tiny (6'1", 190).

6'1", 190 while not tiny is certainly NOT big. We can all agree that Brew's guy Harold Howell is the definition of tiny :D

He didn't, though.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/87297447.html

He ran twice, and was timed at 4.37 and 4.41 with stopwatches. And, as someone else mentioned here, the rule of thumb is to add .24 to stopwatch-timed 40s. That would put him in the 4.6-4.65 range, which is where he would be in reality.

Bingo - which is why it's ridiculous when anyone attaches the word "legitimate" to any non-laser-timed 40. Those in fact are the only way that a 40 is legitimate.

I should have phrased it this way: If Sherels ran a "legitimate" 4.34 40...

And all I remembered was he ran it in the 4.3 range, making him the "fastest" corner in that year's draft. My point was simply that 40 times are not cromulent at all.

But even electronic systems differ. I've ran on a couple of them, with each result differing considerably.

6'1", 190 while not tiny is certainly NOT big. We can all agree that Brew's guy Harold Howell is the definition of tiny :D

Yeah, that is why I called him "not tiny".

There are probably a lot more people in the world who are 5'9" 150 lbs who are fast than there are 6'1" 190 lbs kids who can run. Pride isn't a big kid, but he is large enough to play defensive back (even safety, he'll probably be 6'2" 205-215 lbs within a couple seasons), WR, or even HB at the Big 10 level.

Top Bottom