Kill's interesting comments re: LB corps

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
During the NSD press conference, Kill was asked about LBs, and I found it interesting who he specifically mentioned, and who he didn't. He referenced having Hill, Edwards, and Manuel coming back, referenced how much Antonio Johnson played in the box against Tx Tech, and then said (paraphrasing): "I'm excited about the JuCos and freshmen coming in". I'm not going to name names and run down players, but there is a big gap in classes there and a handful of players who he went out of his way to not mention by name. He also said something to the effect of "the timing is great for you if you're a LB coming into this program". Again, I'm not going to name names, but I expect some transfers out and the freshmen to all have a great chance at seeing the field early.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

He seemed to talk about the current guys (Hill, Edwards, Manuel) but then he sort of skipped a class and mentioned the RS players (I assume he's talking about Lynn who Claeys has been gushing about) and this current group.

We have a couple guys (Westerhaus, Matilus), who you thought would be in the mix that Kill didn't mention.

It easily could have been a slip of the mind, he has a ton of info today and it was off the cuff. But I noticed it as well.

During the NSD press conference, Kill was asked about LBs, and I found it interesting who he specifically mentioned, and who he didn't. He referenced having Hill, Edwards, and Manuel coming back, referenced how much Antonio Johnson played in the box against Tx Tech, and then said (paraphrasing): "I'm excited about the JuCos and freshmen coming in". I'm not going to name names and run down players, but there is a big gap in classes there and a handful of players who he went out of his way to not mention by name. He also said something to the effect of "the timing is great for you if you're a LB coming into this program". Again, I'm not going to name names, but I expect some transfers out and the freshmen to all have a great chance at seeing the field early.

You missed that he said they redshirted some guys too. I read nothing into it other than they have depth and the JUCO boys.

He has over 100 kids on the team and if you think he is going to remember everyone in a press conference you're mistaken.

I know a former player who said Mason could not have picked all his 100 players out of a group of 150. Paraphrasing.

Who knows? Maybe he forgot, maybe he is triyng to motivate, maybe they are changing positions.

Outside of Hill, no LBs were particurly good last year so there should be a lot of competition for playing time.

This is all welcome relief to those of us who have been belly aching about the caliber of LB play here for years.

The more competition and depth in this unit, the better. Good LBs should be the heart and soul of every defense.

The heart and soul of the defense is the line. Everybody else picks up the table scraps.

Can you explain how he "went out of his way to not mention [certain unnamed players] by name." Because that sounds impressive. Not that I don't know exactly what you are talking about. But I've never seen kill that rhetorical. Usually it is something like "we got a lotta good kids comin back and we're gonna hit the ground runnin." Type of stuff.

Who knows? Maybe he forgot, maybe he is triyng to motivate, maybe they are changing positions.

Outside of Hill, no LBs were particurly good last year so there should be a lot of competition for playing time.

Yep, never a good idea to read much into comments made at big events like this. In spring ball it will start to become clear who is in the mix and who isn't leading into fall camp. The fact that he didn't mention those guys by name could have meant something or could have been an oversight on his part, no way to know without speaking to Kill directly and asking him.

"went out of his way to not mention [certain unnamed players] by name."

Sounds about right, since the LB core was non-existent last year.

Dp, I usually agree with most of your stuff, but why is this always an automatic thought? There are loads of guys that have stuck with the program, and will stick for many reasons. For example Balthazor, Grant, and Reeves had played almost exclusively on special teams, and stuck around for 4-5 years. In fact, Balthazor is coming back for a 5th year as a grad student. Maybe being a part of the team and getting a great education is a positive? I'll take a flyer here and say none of the LBs transfer out...

Dp, I usually agree with most of your stuff, but why is this always an automatic thought? There are loads of guys that have stuck with the program, and will stick for many reasons. For example Balthazor, Grant, and Reeves had played almost exclusively on special teams, and stuck around for 4-5 years. In fact, Balthazor is coming back for a 5th year as a grad student. Maybe being a part of the team and getting a great education is a positive? I'll take a flyer here and say none of the LBs transfer out...

Balthazor is and always has been a walk-on.
Grant is a legacy and got way more playing time than I think even he figured he ever would.
Reeves came here with several buddies, giving him more reasons to stick around.

The players I'm alluding to meet none of these criteria. If you're a scholarship player, have already burned your redshirt, and can't even step onto the field (like, at all, as far as I know) when the guys in front of you are playing pretty pedestrian football (at best), that is a huge red flag. I'm not saying they won't ever be players, as they might end up being some of our best players a few years from now. I know that if I were in their shoes, I would at least be considering it. Again, if you're already in your 2nd full year in the program, are (as far as I know) fully healthy, and can't get on the field EVER, even when the guys in front of you are extremely average, that sends a pretty strong message. I'm not predicting or even suggesting that they transfer out - all I'm saying is that I'm expecting it and will not be the least bit surprised if and when it happens.

dpodoll68 said:
Balthazor is and always has been a walk-on.
Grant is a legacy and got way more playing time than I think even he figured he ever would.
Reeves came here with several buddies, giving him more reasons to stick around.

The players I'm alluding to meet none of these criteria. If you're a scholarship player, have already burned your redshirt, and can't even step onto the field (like, at all, as far as I know) when the guys in front of you are playing pretty pedestrian football (at best), that is a huge red flag. I'm not saying they won't ever be players, as they might end up being some of our best players a few years from now. I know that if I were in their shoes, I would at least be considering it. Again, if you're already in your 2nd full year in the program, are (as far as I know) fully healthy, and can't get on the field EVER, even when the guys in front of you are extremely average, that sends a pretty strong message. I'm not predicting or even suggesting that they transfer out - all I'm saying is that I'm expecting it and will not be the least bit surprised if and when it happens.

Who are you talking about, then? Westerhaus? Matilus? They are only going to be Sophs. I'll cut them some slack.

Kill not mentioning the unnamed LBs may have been intentional or accidental, but what speaks volumes is that they didn't play this past year despite our LB corps being marginal at best. College kids can improve quickly and become good players (i.e. Nate Triplett, Kirkwood, etc), but the emphasis that was placed on recruiting LBs in this class gives everyone an idea of what their opinion was of the current LB group.

As for transferring, there are players at all programs that realize they aren't going to be NFL players or even starters at their D-1 school, and they are content being part of the team, doing what's required, and getting their education paid for. Not everyone has the hunger and drive or the physical tools to be a starter on a Big Ten team.

As for transferring, there are players at all programs that realize they aren't going to be NFL players or even starters at their D-1 school, and they are content being part of the team, doing what's required, and getting their education paid for. Not everyone has the hunger and drive or the physical tools to be a starter on a Big Ten team.

Agreed. Additionally if you are not good enough to play at a marginal Big Ten school your options for transferring are likely D-2. I think many would rather keep trying to produce at Minnesota (and get an top tier education) than transfer down to D-2 where you are also not guaranteed to start.

Kill not mentioning the unnamed LBs may have been intentional or accidental, but what speaks volumes is that they didn't play this past year despite our LB corps being marginal at best. College kids can improve quickly and become good players (i.e. Nate Triplett, Kirkwood, etc), but the emphasis that was placed on recruiting LBs in this class gives everyone an idea of what their opinion was of the current LB group.

Yes, thank you. All of this was my point exactly.

Who are you talking about, then? Westerhaus? Matilus? They are only going to be Sophs. I'll cut them some slack.

The Matilus thing kind of baffles me.

He must be a really hard worker. He has won scout team defensive player of the year two years in a row. I can't imagine the staff would be giving that award out to someone who was dogging it. He has decent size (235 lbs) and usually our scout team player of the year type has gone on to contribute the following year (Hill, Botticelli).

The fact that he's getting recognized makes me think that he must not be in a dog house and that he must work hard.

Maybe it's a matter of knowing the playbook, I don't know.

It seemed like your point was that you are expecting some LB's to transfer? My point is just the opposite.

More in agreement for the first paragraph. I choose my words poorly in the OP - I'm less trying to express that I expect transfers and more that I wouldn't be surprised to see some.

Let's not forget - recruiting is not only to fill immediate needs - recruiting is done to fill future needs. Coaches have to be thinking 2 and 3 yrs down the road. If you need every recruit to come in and contribute immediately, your program is in trouble. IMHO, we'll know the Gopher FB program is really improving when signing day arrives, and nobody is talking about how we need this recruit or that recruit to step in immediately to fill a hole in the lineup.

It may not be realistic, but I would love to see the Gophs get to a point where 90-95% of the recruits are redshirted - not because they can't play, but because there are more experienced players in front of them on the depth chart.

Let's not forget - recruiting is not only to fill immediate needs - recruiting is done to fill future needs. Coaches have to be thinking 2 and 3 yrs down the road. If you need every recruit to come in and contribute immediately, your program is in trouble. IMHO, we'll know the Gopher FB program is really improving when signing day arrives, and nobody is talking about how we need this recruit or that recruit to step in immediately to fill a hole in the lineup.
It may not be realistic, but I would love to see the Gophs get to a point where 90-95% of the recruits are redshirted - not because they can't play, but because there are more experienced players in front of them on the depth chart.

Yep. I think this will be the year that playing all of the young guys the last two years finally pays off from a red-shirting standpoint. All of the JUCOs should play, but for the freshman, the only one's we should need right away will be Laster and Edwards. If anyone else plays, it should be because they're just that good.

Yep. I think this will be the year that playing all of the young guys the last two years finally pays off from a red-shirting standpoint. All of the JUCOs should play, but for the freshman, the only one's we should need right away will be Laster and Edwards. If anyone else plays, it should be because they're just that good.

That last part is the goal to be sure. If coaches had their way they would only play freshmen that are just too dang good to have on the bench. Never a good thing when you NEED a true freshman to start right away due to a lack of talent in front of him. More often than not that does not turn out well for the player or the team.

I'm curious about Westerhaus. If I remember correctly, he was Mr. Football, but wasn't he also one of the recruits already committed under Brew's watch & Jerry honored that committment?
There was a lot of good things surrounding the Westerhaus recruitment, & now you hardly hear anything about him.
I wonder if this is because he was overhyped & underperforming, or because he's one of Brew's guys?

I'm curious about Westerhaus. If I remember correctly, he was Mr. Football, but wasn't he also one of the recruits already committed under Brew's watch & Jerry honored that committment?
There was a lot of good things surrounding the Westerhaus recruitment, & now you hardly hear anything about him.
I wonder if this is because he was overhyped & underperforming, or because he's one of Brew's guys?

Westerhaus was initially a Brewster recruit, but I don't think that has any impact on why he hasn't seen playing time. It might be because he's not fast enough for Claeys system, but Kill has clearly shown that he'll play upperclassmen who were already here.

Westerhaus was initially a Brewster recruit, but I don't think that has any impact on why he hasn't seen playing time. It might be because he's not fast enough for Claeys system, but Kill has clearly shown that he'll play upperclassmen who were already here.

Didn't Westerhaus get in injured on a trip before he started at the U or am I thinking of somebody else? If it was him, what, if any, were the residual problems for that accident?

Didn't Westerhaus get in injured on a trip before he started at the U or am I thinking of somebody else? If it was him, what, if any, were the residual problems for that accident?

Yeah, if I recall correctly, he fractured his skull when a boulder fell on him.

I doubt it has much to do with why he hasn't played. He was only a RS FR and I believe he will play in the middle, so he actually had quite a bit of competition in front of him (Rallis, Beal, Hill (passing downs)) and we played a lot of nickle with only our faster LBers in the game.

He has an opportunity next year to show that he's a Big 10 football player, we'll see.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, he fractured his skull when a boulder fell on him.

I doubt it has much to do with why he hasn't played. He was only a RS FR and I believe he will play in the middle, so he actually had quite a bit of competition in front of him (Rallis, Beal, Hill (passing downs)) and we played a lot of nickle with only our faster LBers in the game.

He has an opportunity next year to show that he's a Big 10 football player, we'll see.

LOL Bob - I don't know about you but if a boulder fell on my head and fractured my skull I think it might slow we down. Then on the other hand with me that may be the place where least amount of serious damage would occur. Thanks for the info.

LOL Bob - I don't know about you but if a boulder fell on my head and fractured my skull I think it might slow we down. Then on the other hand with me that may be the place where least amount of serious damage would occur. Thanks for the info.

Touche.

I suppose it does sound strange for me to downplay a boulder fracturing his skull.

I want to say it happened in July and he only missed part of summer camp though, but i'm not entirely sure.

We have seven returning scholarship linebackers (Hill, Edwards, Manuel, Nick Rallis, Matilus, Westerhaus and Lynn) and two walkons. Out of the seven we have four with actual game experience (Hill, Edwards, Manuel and Matilus) and Matilus' is only special teams. Basically we have three linebackers with any experience and one of them was often hurt last season (Edwards). I would not read too much into Kill's comments in regards to the status of guys like Westerhaus. I think Kill meant it more in the sense of numbers and experience at the position. Still Westerhaus and Rallis both arrived on campus injured, so who knows what will happen with them. Westerhaus might end up an h-back on offense or he might have had enough and transfers. I don't know. My point is I think we're speculating a little too much on what he didn't say.

Top Bottom