Kill's condition: improving?

Some Day...Is Coming!

Some Day...Maybe?
Reaction score
Is Coach Kill on pace to be driving this month (February)? Remember what he said when he came back last year? Would be interested to here how things are going with his treatment and management of his seizures. I really hope things are going much better for him.

In my opinion, this is far and away the most crucial issue for this program right now. I really think that bowl game loss, combined with Coach Kill's seizures had to have an effect on recruiting. Remember, Coach Kill stated that last years bowl game helped a great deal in recruiting.

I just think this upcoming year will be the most crucial in determining whether the Kill regime will be able to get this program to 9 and 10 win seasons and be in the upper half of the Big Ten, and be able to be legitimate contenders. Does the program continue to move forward with enthusiasm and excitement? Do we reach the fundraising milestones/benchmarks?

Here's to hoping that the enthusiasm continues to build! and that things continue to move forward, including Coach's health.

Coming from someone who has epilepsy, it's nearly impossible to tell if your condition is ever improving. I've gone years without a seizure only to have a bunch of them in a short period of time. You take medication, wait till you seize again, your doctor adjusts the dosage, you wait until you seize again, repeat ad infinitum. Some are lucky where you find the right dosage of medication that completely wipes out your seizures, but it is a long process and never guaranteed.

Coming from someone who has epilepsy, it's nearly impossible to tell if your condition is ever improving. I've gone years without a seizure only to have a bunch of them in a short period of time. You take medication, wait till you seize again, your doctor adjusts the dosage, you wait until you seize again, repeat ad infinitum. Some are lucky where you find the right dosage of medication that completely wipes out your seizures, but it is a long process and never guaranteed.

Do you drive?

Is Coach Kill on pace to be driving this month (February)? Remember what he said when he came back last year? Would be interested to here how things are going with his treatment and management of his seizures. I really hope things are going much better for him.

In my opinion, this is far and away the most crucial issue for this program right now. I really think that bowl game loss, combined with Coach Kill's seizures had to have an effect on recruiting. Remember, Coach Kill stated that last years bowl game helped a great deal in recruiting.

I just think this upcoming year will be the most crucial in determining whether the Kill regime will be able to get this program to 9 and 10 win seasons and be in the upper half of the Big Ten, and be able to be legitimate contenders. Does the program continue to move forward with enthusiasm and excitement? Do we reach the fundraising milestones/benchmarks?

- Can't imagine the public would ever get straight, honest talk on the issue. That certainly hasn't happened in the past. Nonetheless, hopefully he's been feeling healthy & strong.

- Yep, the bowl game loss and the fact that Kill's never won an FBS bowl game (and therefore many of his assistants haven't either) isn't a great recruiting sell. I agree his health continues to be a major issue... so many questions around the program... don't even know if the coach will be in the pressbox, on the field, etc. He couldn't go down to the field until losing at half of the bowl game... too much risk for his career. Curious as to what he'll do this next season. But, the sad thing is I don't think the seizures ever get erased as a possibility that stays on the mind of some (including SOME recruits)... even if he goes a year without any public episodes. Awful issue for people to have to deal with... but for Kill I think big time stress, lack of sleep.. those are big triggers for him and as HC at the U... how well can he ever manage them?

- Fundraising milestones/benchmarks - well, they need some Reasonable, well-explained goals. Then accomplish them. "$190MM of private funding.. uhh, and we don't know what our priorities are... and uhh,.. we need to do a feasibility study..." and then things go quite for the next 6 months... that's not going to get it done.

If I'm a recruit, I don't see his epilepsy as a weakness at all. The fact that he's a successful Division I coach despite his condition would have me thinking "wow, this is guy is hardcore"! His unique story should be seen as inspiring and it should garner him even more respect from potential recruits. Imo

If I'm a recruit, I don't see his epilepsy as a weakness at all. The fact that he's a successful Division I coach despite his condition would have me thinking "wow, this is guy is hardcore"! His unique story should be seen as inspiring and it should garner him even more respect from potential recruits. Imo

I have no doubt there are some recruits that see it the same way you do. It probably ranges all across the spectrum (from it being a dealbreaker/huge concern to it actually being a positive in that it's impressive/courageous, etc.). I'd guess for most kids it's somewhere around, "uhh, I heard about it but it's not really a big deal or anything I thought a lot about.. doesn't really influence my decision".

True. But also, if I'm a recruit, I see how seamlessly the coaching staff changed over when kill went down. Combine that fact with the ridiculous amount of time & experience this whole staff has together and I'm thinking "wow, this whole staff is going to be on the ball".

Yes. If I have a seizure then it is an automatic 3 months where my license is suspended. Anymore within a year and the suspensions get a lot tougher.

Have you ever had a seizure when you were driving? What can one do if they have one when driving? Has to be a scary thought.

A lesson on epilepsy to learn: Don't try to get into a reasonable conversation with the Gopherhole medical expert.

A lesson on epilepsy to learn: Don't try to get into a reasonable conversation with the Gopherhole medical expert.

Wait, you mean GW's syrupy phrases about his deep love and concern for coach Kill are actually closer to Souhan's comments? You mean he doesn't know anything about epilepsy except what he's read here, and then paid so little attention that he can't even get that right? You're trying to tell me he doesn't have a really sensible and accurate pulse on recruits all around the country from all different backgrounds? Gosh. That would make me discount anything he writes. Hunh.

According to Doogie on channel 5, Kill hasn't had a seizure in over 3 months.

If you guys would stop quoting the world's greatest authority on epilepsy, I wouldn't have to read anything he writes, ever.

Just stick to the Bball side of the board, and even when you do, just stop posting.

But Marquette is having a terrible season. He needs some sort of distraction. And talking about how much one hates Mbakwe and Tubby must get old after awhile.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kill said that his health issues could have helped recruiting because he was very straight forward and not everyone is straight forward.</p>— Nadine Babu (@NadineBabu) <a href="https://twitter.com/NadineBabu/statuses/431193030238814209">February 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I believe this!

I thought Jerry looked great at his press conference. He looks very healthy.

I thought Jerry looked great at his press conference. He looks very healthy.

I thought the same and his energy and passion were as high as I've seen in a long time...at the end of a whirlwind recruiting tour, too. He exuded confidence and a little urine and vinegar. He's still miffed at Souhan. Thus, I am, as well. Is football season here, yet?

Top Bottom