Kill: "We feel like we have lightning in a bottle with Berkley Edwards"

Seriously? How about James Gillum? There are many others but what's the point?

I have no problem with Kill hyping up his players, but people should take it for what it is.

To be honest, I really don't recall any others other than Gillum and DCT, but I could be wrong. More often than not it seems when Kill has "hyped" a player (which I don't even like that term anyway, he's usually just answering a question a journalist asked), they've shown, at minimum, flashes of great play. Guys like Murray, Wells, and Cockran come to mind. Cockran has proven it, Wells has played very well at times, and Murray has all the looks of a guy like that could get to that elite level.

It also helps that Kill has seen Edwards at least go through a season of practice with a full class schedule, unlike Gillum, where he only went through spring before he had said things about him. I take a little more credence when I hear about a guy impressing through the fall and into the season of practices, not just during spring practice and early fall camp.

To be honest, I really don't recall any others other than Gillum and DCT, but I could be wrong.
You could pick about anyone at the receiver position. Marcus Jones and KJ Maye were also supposed to be great offensive weapons. Ironically, some of their best offensive players, especially Cobb and Barker, received almost no mention at all.

Defensively I'd agree that they have been right far more often than not, and should get a lot of credit for that.

But again, this isn't about Kill. I'd agree that Kill uses these forums as a way to motivate guys, guys he's probably a lot less sure about than he sounds. That's his job. Fans should realize that and stop acting like parrots.

You could pick about anyone at the receiver position. Marcus Jones and KJ Maye were also supposed to be great offensive weapons. Ironically, some of their best offensive players, especially Cobb and Barker, received almost no mention at all.

Defensively I'd agree that they have been right far more often than not, and should get a lot of credit for that.

But again, this isn't about Kill. I'd agree that Kill uses these forums as a way to motivate guys, guys he's probably a lot less sure about than he sounds. That's his job. Fans should realize that and stop acting like parrots.

Actually, Kill said many times that Cobb had all the talent and just had to pick up the blocking aspect.

During one of the pregame warm-ups the backs were taking hand-offs and hitting the hole with no defense. I saw one back take the hand-off and almost immediately thought that must be Edwards and it was. He is noticeably fast and quick. He stands out because of his speed. I don't know if he will be a good football player or not, but the kid has big time speed.

Marcus Jones has blown out both knees and still makes positive impacts on this team. Bad example.

Kill said he would have a breakout year his sophomore year. He did nothing and then quit.

Careful afurry91. I have learned the hard way that GHs choose to remember DCT in a different light than reality. Just let it go - you can't win that one.

Edwards had a run at the Fall scrimmage that gives great hope. Small seam, shot thru it and no one was going to catch him. He has that ability, but his role will be screen passes, jet sweeps, etc. Jones and Cobb will be the main ball carriers and will get the tough yards.

Also, as previously stated Cobb always was hyped. The coaches and those that follow the program raved about him his first 2 years. However, he was a liability blocking and didn't see the field till he got that figured out. We are going to be good at RB for a while - still need WRs.

Careful afurry91. I have learned the hard way that GHs choose to remember DCT in a different light than reality. Just let it go - you can't win that one.

There are also people REALLY sensitive about being wrong about DCT.

For example, they'll something stupid like "DCT wouldn't get playing time on this team." The whole board laughed at the stupid post and corrected him. Then that poster will be so butthurt about being corrected that he'll choose to believe the whole board thinks DCT was great (which no one said, ever).

So yeah, it's better to just avoid the DCT talk. There is a certain poster that needs to remember the DCT conversations in a fictional way.

There are also people REALLY sensitive about being wrong about DCT.

For example, they'll something stupid like "DCT wouldn't get playing time on this team." The whole board laughed at the stupid post and corrected him. Then that poster will be so butthurt about being corrected that he'll choose to believe the whole board thinks DCT was great (which no one said, ever).

So yeah, it's better to just avoid the DCT talk. There is a certain poster that needs to remember the DCT conversations in a fictional way.

Boy that certain poster is probably really smarting now.

DCT made contributions as a true freshman and sophomore, was the third leading WR last year, it's not like he was a 5th year senior making those contributions, and he did make a solid jump in progress from his freshman year to his sophomore year, I wouldn't say kill hyped him up to much, and as for Berkley I don't think he is elite fast either, he is by no means Taylor Martinez(when healthy) or Braxton Miller fast, he doesnt run a 4.3 or anything like that, he is Minnesota fast but I do think he has a nice burst and is quick like Venric Mark who is only 5-9 and was a 2 star, but what gets me a little excited is he had a grade of 77 on ESPN which is good and what Donovan Jones had as well

So with three seasons with three rosters of 100 plus we've come up with two names. Pretty damning.

DCT made the catch against Iowa. For that reason alone, I would never criticize him.

Do you even post at TDG? I've been there since it began.

What's your point? He didn't say that he posted over there, he said that they represent the next generations of Gopher Fans. Lots of people read both sites but post more on one than the other (like I am mostly over at TDG). Killjoy often reposts TDG articles at Gopherhole, so as you can see, he reads TDG...and he is right about people on TDG being more optimistic in general compared to Gopherhole; there are always some negative and some positive people on both sites.

What's your point? He didn't say that he posted over there, he said that they represent the next generations of Gopher Fans. Lots of people read both sites but post more on one than the other (like I am mostly over at TDG). Killjoy often reposts TDG articles at Gopherhole, so as you can see, he reads TDG...and he is right about people on TDG being more optimistic in general compared to Gopherhole; there are always some negative and some positive people on both sites.
Umm....what? Haha. I'm asking if he posts there because I've never seen him. That's it.

Also, no it's not. TDG is less snarky and personal and bitchy. But a lot of the snarky, bitchy people on GH are the same people who view themselves as "optimists". GH is poisonous not because it's "negative" but because so many people get sticks up their asses and turn every thread into personal inter-bitchfests.

Case in point would be this thread. ONE GUY said "let's wait and see them prove it on the field" (a totally reasonable point) and someone went on lengthy diatribe about how awful the fans are and how they root against the team. It's ridiculous.

Umm....what? Haha. I'm asking if he posts there because I've never seen him. That's it.

Also, no it's not. TDG is less snarky and personal and bitchy. But a lot of the snarky, bitchy people on GH are the same people who view themselves as "optimists". GH is poisonous not because it's "negative" but because so many people get sticks up their asses and turn every thread into personal inter-bitchfests.

Case in point would be this thread. ONE GUY said "let's wait and see them prove it on the field" (a totally reasonable point) and someone went on lengthy diatribe about how awful the fans are and how they root against the team. It's ridiculous.

There is nothing ridiculous ever said on GopherHole, professor. :drink: :drink: :drink:

Sorry, I read something into your comment that wasn't there. Also, I do agree with what you says makes GH poisonous and when I do post on GH it is often because I let myself get sucked into it. That said, I do feel the TDG is more positive, not in a everything is always golden kinda way (they also point out the negative or things that need to be improved, but in a realistic, thoughtful way; but it too can swing (such as after the Iowa & Michigan games, I just stayed away so that I would get that way).

That said, I do like thinks about GH, such as DL's recaps, recruit interviews, and the fact it does break news faster.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons, but that's not what's being discussed. The OP said we should wait to see it on the field (and between Berkeley and Jamel Harbison we could probably start our own message board for how much attention they get) because Kill has talked up players before and they've amounted to nothing.

That's not to say that Kill doesn't have his reasons or that he shouldn't be doing that. But as a fan maybe take history as precedent and not assume that just because a coach says a player will be good he automatically will be. I've seen people talk about Edwards being the starting back next year like Cobb didn't just run for 1,000 yards. That's crazy.

Poy

Here is what Kill said: Edwards is lightning in a bottle. Translation: he is fast and explosive.

Here is what he didn't say:

1. Berkley will be the greatest Gopher RB ever.
2. He will lead us to the Rose Bowl next year.
3. He will be a 1000 yard back.
4. He will be a starter.
5. He will get significant playing time.

Edwards had a run at the Fall scrimmage that gives great hope. Small seam, shot thru it and no one was going to catch him. He has that ability, but his role will be screen passes, jet sweeps, etc. Jones and Cobb will be the main ball carriers and will get the tough yards.

Kind of what I was thinking(no I haven't seen him play). Haven't heard any mention of how good his hands and receiving skills are.

Here is what Kill said: Edwards is lightning in a bottle. Translation: he is fast and explosive.

Here is what he didn't say:

1. Berkley will be the greatest Gopher RB ever.
2. He will lead us to the Rose Bowl next year.
3. He will be a 1000 yard back.
4. He will be a starter.
5. He will get significant playing time.

You just need to read between the lines :)

per Sid's column:

Kill on redshirts in 2014

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill was asked about the potential of some of the players he redshirted this season to come in and contribute next year, when they will still have four years of eligibility left.

“We have some players out of there,’’ Kill said. ‘‘We were smart. Redshirt-wise we feel like we have lightning in a bottle with [running back] Berkley Edwards. If he didn’t get hurt, he is a guy running the football who can get it over with. He’s a sprinter. That’s something I think we wish we had right now to help us out a bit because he’s a game-breaker.”

Edwards was ranked as the 63rd-best running back in the nation by ESPN before he signed with the Gophers last year. His brother is former Michigan and NFL star receiver Braylon Edwards.

But Kill said the team has more players in the wings, too.

“We have two or three defensive backs that will have an opportunity to step in and do great things. We have a big tight end [Nate Wozniak], 6-9, 6-8, 255, he’s done a heck of a job, proud of him. We have offensive linemen, we redshirted a lot of good kids and our future is bright. It really is. That’s the exciting thing about what’s going on right now.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/234914621.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I really started thinking about what we might get with Edwards after watching Missouri play Auburn yesterday. Both teams had small scat backs that were super quick and both teams had a lot of problems trying to stop them. That may be exactly what we'll get from Edwards. While I'd have loved to see him this year, I'm excited about the prospect of 4 more years and seeing what he can become. Future looks bright.

Nobody is doing any of that. If anything, saying "let's wait and see them prove it on the field" is the exact opposite of acting like you know something.

Nobody bitched, either. Lighten up. I swear some of you act like anything other than nodding in unison is an act of disloyalty.

Reminda me of a certain radio man's ditto heads.

Is it possible that Edwards is used in a Percy Harvin type role? I don't know if he has good hands, but with Cobb starting next season it might be a good idea to get him in the slot and return kicks or punts in addition to some carries.

edwards is 4.45 fast.. thats much faster than cobb. also edwards looks like he is very shifty and for his size and looking at his highlights. he makes some tough guy runs where he breaks like 5 tackles with extra weight i see know reason why he cant be like a james white

Examples please.

If you recall, Kill said he was very excited (those were his exact words) that Harbison was coming back from his one game "suspension" because they needed his play-making ability. It seems to me that Kill was pretty certain Harbison was going to make a significant impact. As it turns out, they barely played him and rarely if ever threw to him. Kill was way off on that statement, but there's probably more to it than we know.

Jones in the left slot and Edwards in the right slot. Every play one of them is in motion. Max can line up tight or split.

Top Bottom