Kill Presser

I rarely post on this board but, as primarily a hoops fan, I hate how the customers have been ripped off by year after year of non conference nobodies at Williams. Tubby wouldn't think of bringing a ranked team into town in November and December so the fans have to shell out for a series of meaningless scrimmages. I applaud Brewster for upgrading the schedule. Over time it's good for the program and it's a reward for the people who support the program.

You weren't listening when Tubby was at the state fair yesterday and commented that the Gophers play the toughest non-conference schedule in the B1G.

You weren't listening when Tubby was at the state fair yesterday and commented that the Gophers play the toughest non-conference schedule in the B1G.

I don't want to hijack the thread but Tubby says lots of things. USC is the first team to come into Williams in years that anybody has heard of and they aren't near the top 25. I love what the football program has done re: scheduling.

I just don't like scheduling these games until your program is established. To build a program we have to go 3-1 or 4-0 in non conference. That gets us to bowl games and extra practices. Brewster was 9-7 in non-conference. The two years that he was 4-0 and 3-1 were bowl years.

If we get to the point where we are sure of a bowl every year, you can think about scheduling a tough team. I don't see anyone scheduling a tough non-conference schedule after 2016.

I just don't like scheduling these games until your program is established. To build a program we have to go 3-1 or 4-0 in non conference. That gets us to bowl games and extra practices. Brewster was 9-7 in non-conference. The two years that he was 4-0 and 3-1 were bowl years.

If we get to the point where we are sure of a bowl every year, you can think about scheduling a tough team. I don't see anyone scheduling a tough non-conference schedule after 2016.

But you have to schedule years in advance in college football. When Brew scheduled this game a few years back he certainly didn't anticipate he'd be working for Fox Sports on the sidelines.

There is no downside for a program like the Gophers in scheduling a USC. It's all upside, every year. It is very very unlikely that we'll ever qualify for the national title game, so a loss in the non-conference season isn't going to kill our season. If we get to a BCS game it will most likely be because we won our division and the BT title game, and that won't be impacted by a loss at USC. A team like Wisconsin or Penn State (that could get chosen for a BCS game without having to win the BT) has more to lose in scheduling a home-and-home with a USC.

We have only upside. If we win Saturday, we're likely the lead story on ESPN's college game day coverage, recruits will notice, the casual fan will definitely notice in Minnesota, and on and on. If we lose, no one will notice outside of us die-hards.

Going 3-1 vs. 4-0 in the non-conference is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Sure, next year it could be the difference between going 5-7 and 6-6 and thus not being able to play Western Michigan in Detroit in early December, but the upside of winning this weekend is much higher than the downside of not being able to bring 900 fans to Ford Field against a MAC team in December.

Go Gophers!!

You make valid points, but if we get our asses kicked it was not worth scheduling. I'm not saying we will, but it could happen. Brewster went from A-Z with his attempt to build a program and forgot everything in between. We are at "A" folks.

It didn't take Reusse long to get his first big dig in at Kill: (via Twitter)

Coach Kill _ a k a Mr. Discipline _ apparently plans to be gutless when it comes to scheduling.

It didn't take Reusse long to get his first big dig in at Kill: (via Twitter)l[/QUOTE said:
It is a well deserved dig. Goodbye Air Force, Cal, and USC. Hello Louisiana Tech, Bowling Green, and Toledo.

It didn't take Reusse long to get his first big dig in at Kill: (via Twitter)

Coach Kill _ a k a Mr. Discipline _ apparently plans to be gutless when it comes to scheduling.

Not surprised. That's only one of the many, many reasons I want to punch him in the face whenever I see his old ass mug.

It is a well deserved dig. Goodbye Air Force, Cal, and USC. Hello Louisiana Tech, Bowling Green, and Toledo.

2013 & 2014: North Carolina
2015 & 2016: I'm guessing a BCS opponent to replace Texas...
2017 & 2018: Oregon State
2019 & 2020: Navy

He's clearly talking about the first game of the year on the road against a team like USC, not "not playing BCS teams at all." He played Tennessee, Wisconsin, Purdue & Minnesota on the road in 3 years.

So, in summary, YOU LOSE!

OMG, people need to stop freaking out. Kill doesn't want to OPEN UP against a big BCS school on the road. That's it.

If I remember correctly, I think he had stated not too long after he was hired that his ideal schedule is a couple of cupcakes, a mid-major, and a BCS, in that order.

You don't have to put a USC or Texas on your plate, but scheduling a solid BCS squad for one game a year doesn't sound bad to me. Maybe not EVERY year now with the 3 non-conference games, but I think every so often, it's good to have those kinds of home-home matchups with different BCS schools. I hope we don't go completely against it and just schedule 3 softies every single year now.

Of course, the first year of the 9 conference game season, we already have Oregon State booked up for the next two seasons unless we back out of it (I hope we don't). Then Navy's in there, so it won't be a complete drop off immediately unless like I said, we back out of those commitments.

I think this is overblown. I don't know a coach in America who would want their first game on the job at a BCS school that's been struggling to be on the road at USC.

OMG, people need to stop freaking out. Kill doesn't want to OPEN UP against a big BCS school on the road. That's it.

If I remember correctly, I think he had stated not too long after he was hired that his ideal schedule is a couple of cupcakes, a mid-major, and a BCS, in that order.

Please stop making so damned much sense on these comment boards. :)

Shame on you Ski U Mah Gopher!

On 2013 the Gophers open at home on August 31st (during the fair) vs UNLV and are scheduled for pre-Labor Day home games in 2014-2016.

You broke a cardinal rule of this site by using the facts before people had a chance to turn it into a pissing match! That is just not right!

Top Bottom