Kill Presser

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Coach Kill press conference live and free on GopherSports.com All-Access at Noon today.

I thought Kill was going to be on KFAN today with DT and MG from noon to 1?

I must have just picked up the last couple of minutes of the live broadcast. Will be checking back to see if the entire presser is up.

A. Its Thursdays I believe
B. its Mark Rosen and Mike Grimm.

A) Ahhh.. That could be. Whoops. I put it in my calender on Tuesdays.
B) I thought the first one was to include DT.. but now that you mention Rosey, you're right.

And back on topic..

Great presser. I don't know why, but I could listen to Coach K talk all day long. You can tell when he's answering questions that he's not just giving coach-talk and he actually puts thought before saying words. Very genuine.

I didn't take notes on it for those that missed it, but then again, I'm no DL.. I could never do as good a job as he.

Hopefully they'll keep that video of it online.

Oh, and lol at Sid's question and Kill's response.

Nice summary. My favorite parts:

"I may be the only coach in America that tapes the sideline. He wants to see who throws their helmet and loses their cool. I want to see how the coaches react."

"How would you describe the previous culture you inherited? I don’t think that's fair to say. It's been a long time since we've won the Big 10, why is that? What do we need to do different. You can't blame one person or coach. It's all about commitment. You need to have stability with coaches, after 4 offensive coordinators, defensive coordinators, academic advisors, etc. They've gone in and out of here like club sandwiches."

"like club sandwiches."

Another classic Killism. Though, I don't think I know exactly what he means.

I liked this: "Discipline has nothing to do with how you wear your hair or earring, it's what you do everyday, and the consistency. Doing the same things on a consistent basis. "

Nice summary. My favorite parts:

"I may be the only coach in America that tapes the sideline. He wants to see who throws their helmet and loses their cool. I want to see how the coaches react."

"How would you describe the previous culture you inherited? I don’t think that's fair to say. It's been a long time since we've won the Big 10, why is that? What do we need to do different. You can't blame one person or coach. It's all about commitment. You need to have stability with coaches, after 4 offensive coordinators, defensive coordinators, academic advisors, etc. They've gone in and out of here like club sandwiches."

Mine as well, I like that about watching the sidelines.

My favorite part at 25:20 "Missed alignments and missed assignments will beat you long before mismatches"

Please see highlights of NIU vrs MN game from last year for an example.

"We'd be playing at home if I had the choice, and not against USC. It is what it is. It's not what I would have done. I'm not blaming anyone. I don't want to play a BCS school on the road."

I understand that he doesn't want to open this season on the road against USC. But the quote sounds more broad than that. Is he saying that he doesn't like the schedules for upcoming seasons that include the likes of North Carolina and Oregon State? I know that will be more difficult with a nine-game BT season, but one thing I really liked about Brewster was his approach to scheduling. Losing to USC didn't cost Brewster his job. Losing to South Dakota and Northern Illinois did.

but one thing I really liked about Brewster was his approach to scheduling. Losing to USC didn't cost Brewster his job. Losing to South Dakota and Northern Illinois did.

This is my feeling too. I know a lot of people disagree with that. But I want home and homes with BCS schools (even top BCS schools). It's a good game to highlight when they play in MN and it's a nice road trip on the away half.

Video highlights

... from today's presser are now online:

The whole thing looks like its archived on GopherSports as well.

Though, reading more closely it looks like Kill's biggest issue might be playing the opener on the road against a BCS opponent (rather than being against road games against BCS teams in general).

I was alarmed when I read the BCS school comment to, though context is important and I don't know in what context he was against playing a BCS school. To me, you can't build a program by playing just cupcakes in the non-conference schedule. It shows you are afraid to compete and kids pick up on that. I am sure Minnesota fans (along with Kansas State) are some of the most conditioned fans in the nation to know that not all wins are created equal.

The SEC does this every year lol

Even that's changing though. LSU plays Oregon, Ole Miss plays BYU, Georgia plays Boise St and Alabama plays Penn State this year. SOS matters, teams know it, so they HAVE to schedule a tougher-than-cupcake team in OOC if they want to compete for a BCS bid.

I was alarmed when I read the BCS school comment to, though context is important and I don't know in what context he was against playing a BCS school. To me, you can't build a program by playing just cupcakes in the non-conference schedule. It shows you are afraid to compete and kids pick up on that. I am sure Minnesota fans (along with Kansas State) are some of the most conditioned fans in the nation to know that not all wins are created equal.

Lets see...new Coach, new system, new playbook, too many underclassmen, and you have been one of the dregs of the BCS for years? Starting against a quality opponent can be risky. You have to love the challenge, but this game could (not saying it will) be a confidence killer. Winning or losing isn't the critical point here. It is learning to believe in your team, the coaches, and being able to be competitive. I personally have faith in the Gophers and am very excited about seeing the game and will be following for years to come. Your coach is one person that is worthy of being admired. And I will not say that about a lot of people and definitely will not say it about most D-1A coaches.

I think that Kill doesn't want to open against a BCS opponent. Especially away. From his comments, it seems to me that he wants to know what his team can do in competition before he has to match up against a BCS team. Overall, I think that Kill knows he has to beat some good BCS teams to start the climb and to appeal to top line recruits.

Well if Kill can find a way for the Gophers to open at home at the same time that the Fair is going on, I will be really impressed. That might be a more difficult job than getting the Gophers to the Rose Bowl.

It is the one true downside of returning to campus.

Well if Kill can find a way for the Gophers to open at home at the same time that the Fair is going on, I will be really impressed. That might be a more difficult job than getting the Gophers to the Rose Bowl.

It is the one true downside of returning to campus.

I've always been under the impression that they said they wouldn't host a game on opening weekend in the infancy of the stadium to check out traffic flow, etc. I am certain that Maturi has said in the past that eventually TCF Bank Stadium will host games on the opening weekend while the fair is happening.

There's simply no way the Gophers can open on the road every opening weekend of every season. Can't and won't happen. When the Big Ten goes to nine games, that means every other year you will play five road games in the Big Ten. Those years, you will almost certainly have to play three home non-conference games to hit budget necessities. Very few, if any, Big Ten teams play six road games in a season. So, that means at least in those years, you will have to open at home, most likely against a nobody FCS team.

I've always been under the impression that they said they wouldn't host a game on opening weekend in the infancy of the stadium to check out traffic flow, etc. I am certain that Maturi has said in the past that eventually TCF Bank Stadium will host games on the opening weekend while the fair is happening.

There's simply no way the Gophers can open on the road every opening weekend of every season. Can't and won't happen. When the Big Ten goes to nine games, that means every other year you will play five road games in the Big Ten. Those years, you will HAVE to play three home
non-conference games to hit budget necessities. That means at least in those years, you will have to open at home.

On 2013 the Gophers open at home on August 31st (during the fair) vs UNLV and are scheduled for pre-Labor Day home games in 2014-2016.

On 2013 the Gophers open at home on August 31st (during the fair) vs UNLV and are scheduled for pre-Labor Day home games in 2014-2016.

Well, I knew I had heard they would eventually get home games during the fair. I guess all I had to do was check the future schedule :)

This is my feeling too. I know a lot of people disagree with that. But I want home and homes with BCS schools (even top BCS schools). It's a good game to highlight when they play in MN and it's a nice road trip on the away half.

I rarely post on this board but, as primarily a hoops fan, I hate how the customers have been ripped off by year after year of non conference nobodies at Williams. Tubby wouldn't think of bringing a ranked team into town in November and December so the fans have to shell out for a series of meaningless scrimmages. I applaud Brewster for upgrading the schedule. Over time it's good for the program and it's a reward for the people who support the program.

I am also a fan of scheduling one BCS opponent every year, makes for better competition and prepares our team for the BIG schedule plus gives or fans something to look forward to. Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, it is a great recruiting tool for the program. I recall reading or listinging to an interview in recent weeks where Brock Vareen (a native of California) indicated that the fact USC was on the schedule was one of the factors considered in him choosing to come to Minnesota to play his college football. Keep an eye on him this Saturday as he will be starting at corner back.

Top Bottom