5. Players' head coach

6. Long-term, loyal staff

7. Ability to build/rebuild programs

8. Long history of winning at several levels and venues

9. Championship seasons

10. Multiple tournament/bowl appearances

11. Likes Minny and really happy to be onboard

All aboard!

Hopefully we've hired Tulsa Tubby, get Georgia Tubby and don't lose him to Kentucky.

Hopefully we've hired Tulsa Tubby, get Georgia Tubby and don't lose him to Kentucky.

Ditto. Hopefully this will be his last stop as a coach, and I think it will. His stay at NIU was a very brief 3 seasons, but prior to that he'd spent 5 years at Saginaw Valley State and 7 at Southern Illinois, so he's shown a propensity to stick around for a bit.

NIU fans of the more realistic and less emotional bent are unsurprised he left because he apparently made it clear that his ultimate goal as a coach was to reach a BCS conference, and well, now he's gotten that very rare opportunity and here he is, so hopefully he'll want to stay here and I bet he will.

Health holding I think he'll be around a long time - assuming he wins. Minnesota is not chopped liver, as some seem to think. It's a big deal, big city, Big Ten venue.

Ditto. Hopefully this will be his last stop as a coach, and I think it will. His stay at NIU was a very brief 3 seasons, but prior to that he'd spent 5 years at Saginaw Valley State and 7 at Southern Illinois, so he's shown a propensity to stick around for a bit.

NIU fans of the more realistic and less emotional bent are unsurprised he left because he apparently made it clear that his ultimate goal as a coach was to reach a BCS conference, and well, now he's gotten that very rare opportunity and here he is, so hopefully he'll want to stay here and I bet he will.

One upside to his age is that even if he wins big time here, I'm not sure the Michigan/Georgia's of the world will be lining up to hire him at 55, 56 years old.

I think you're spot on.

(It'll be interesting to see how they get along with each other....I think they might be 2 peas in a pod).

Top Bottom