Kill hired as SIU AD

Oh, I didn't realize you were literally referring to physical labor. Of course that is more exhausting than an office job, but it doesn't mean the hours aren't hard. Imagine that your typical day starts at 7 or 8 am and ends after a basketball (or soccer, or football, or swim/dive, or track & field, or golf, etc., etc., etc.) game is over at 10 or 11 pm. And you're doing this most every day throughout the year, nights and weekends, being apart from your family, traveling across the country, raising money, managing staff, managing strategic priorities, and so forth. Since when does a job have to be manual labor and/or on your feet all day for it to be demanding and exhausting? They don't hand out high-six-figure salaries for cushy jobs.

You must be joking. Seems like everyone feels their job is the toughest, most stressful one. MC has a large staff to delegate management and administrative tasks to and a generous budget. I must have missed the reports on the epidemic of depression, burnout, and suicide amongst FBS athletic directors? Your average high school AD working on a shoestring budget without any or meager assistants is probably working similar hours for a fraction of 850k. If Mark Coyle screws up nobody dies. He isn’t dealing with scum of the earth, insane people on a daily basis like law enforcement. He isn’t away from his family for months at a time like military personnel.

You must be joking. Seems like everyone feels their job is the toughest, most stressful one. MC has a large staff to delegate management and administrative tasks to and a generous budget. I must have missed the reports on the epidemic of depression, burnout, and suicide amongst FBS athletic directors? Your average high school AD working on a shoestring budget without any or meager assistants is probably working similar hours for a fraction of 850k. If Mark Coyle screws up nobody dies. He isn’t dealing with scum of the earth, insane people on a daily basis like law enforcement. He isn’t away from his family for months at a time like military personnel.

I didn't realize that there aren't differing degrees of stress in a job. They are either very stressful (military/law enforcement) or not stressful at all (gas station cashier). There is nothing in-between. Thanks for setting me straight.

P.S. The idea that a HS AD is working the same hours as a major college AD is laughably absurd.

Everybody signs their own contract.

I didn't realize that there aren't differing degrees of stress in a job. They are either very stressful (military/law enforcement) or not stressful at all (gas station cashier). There is nothing in-between. Thanks for setting me straight.

P.S. The idea that a HS AD is working the same hours as a major college AD is laughably absurd.

I must have misunderstood your posts.

Everybody signs their own contract.

This is true, although sometimes it is difficult to change course due to responsibilities and obligations. And, the concept of at least partially controlling one’s destiny would be considered a very un-PC viewpoint around here. I’m surprised you haven’t been set upon yet.

+1 Best of luck Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto. He is not the retiring type. Let's hope and pray that he learns to manage stress to a minimal level and to delegate lots of responsibility to others.

Top Bottom