Kill...a unique situation?

Reaction score
Although I go way back to the Warmath years at the U, I can't recall any head coaching hiring that invloved the acquisition of a complete, stable, intact staff with a winning record.

In fact, I wonder if any coach since MW has ever brought along his complete staff of seasoned college coaching professionals no matter what their record.

Kill's long-term, loyal, successful and committed staff is quite a coaching package.

Does anyone have (1) some historical insight and (2) how important is this aspect of the hire?

Although I go way back to the Warmath years at the U, I can't recall any head coaching hiring that invloved the acquisition of a complete, stable, intact staff with a winning record.

In fact, I wonder if any coach since MW has ever brought along his complete staff of seasoned college coaching professionals no matter what their record.

Kill's long-term, loyal, successful and committed staff is quite a coaching package.

Does anyone have (1) some historical insight and (2) how important is this aspect of the hire?

One of the things I love most about the Kill hire is that he has a core staff that has been with him forever. Stability is so important in a successful program.

Historical:
Yes, there was one other: BREWSTER brought his whole staff (well, ok, one kid went to Texas).

Importance:
It's a great indicator of leadership when "workers" sharte the vision of the boss.

Wacker

Wacker brought his whole staff, and I think he had a winning record for his last year at TCU. At the time I thought he should have kept some of Gutey's staff because we needed midwest recruiters and all of Wacker's staff recruited in Texas.

Wacker did have a winning record in his last year at TCU, but he only had 2 winning seasons in 9 years with TCU. Wacker did well in D-II, but had a 40-58-2 record in D-I. Aside from Holtz, Kill is the only coach we have hired with a winning D-I record since Warmath. Stoll was 15-17 with Wake Forest, Salem was a D-II coach, Gutekunst had just two years as a DC, Wacker and Mason both had losing D-I records and Brewster had no HC or DC experience.

Wacker did have a winning record in his last year at TCU, but he only had 2 winning seasons in 9 years with TCU. Wacker did well in D-II, but had a 40-58-2 record in D-I. Aside from Holtz, Kill is the only coach we have hired with a winning D-I record since Warmath. Stoll was 15-17 with Wake Forest, Salem was a D-II coach, Gutekunst had just two years as a DC, Wacker and Mason both had losing D-I records and Brewster had no HC or DC experience.

One thing of note about Wacker's d1a record is he turned TCU in for having a slush fund for players after his first year. What appealed to Boston was despite that he was able after a few years to get them winning again. The problem with Wacker was he was just over matched. He walked in thinking he could outscore everyone. We scored a lot, but everyone else just scored more. Plus the really good teams could completely shut us down.

Wacker brought his whole staff, and I think he had a winning record for his last year at TCU.

Yeah he did go 7-4 in his final season at TCU, but in the six seasons prior to that he'd managed to go 5-6, 4-7, 4-7, 5-6, 3-8, and 3-8, and his conference record in that time was 3-5, 2-6, 2-5, 3-4, 1-7 and 0-8.

He was a pretty shocking reach at that time, and the pick still baffles me to this day. I don't know what in the hell they saw to make them say, "Hey, let's hire this guy!".

The Wacker hiring reminds me of the Brew hiring, complete knee jerk reactions.

We wanted to hire a guy who "could get kids from Texas"...so we went with Wacker.

We wanted a guy who was a better recruiter....so we went with professional recruiter/amateur coach.

Again, with Wacker the hire was about context....

Wacker shocked the college football world by going 8-4 at TCU, unheard of at the time.
Then he shocked it again by turning in his own program. Being in Texas, we knew first-hand the
effect that had in his W-L record for several years at TCU. When he rebuilt them to 7-4, it
did validate him as a successful HC in the old SWC.

Problem was, he was really more geared for the SWC or WAC then the Big 10 in many ways.
Had he stayed at TCU, I can almost guarantee he would have had more winning seasons.

Having a complete staff sure does seem like something new in these parts. For the last 4 years, we couldn't maintain a complete staff despite NOT changing head coaches.

Of course, it didn't take long for someone to mention that Kill's staff doesn't have experience at the BCS level. I think only good can come from a solid, familiar-with-each-other staff.

To play devil's advocate it's not necessarily a positive for the staff that so many of them haven't been recruited out for higher jobs.

To play devil's advocate it's not necessarily a positive for the staff that so many of them haven't been recruited out for higher jobs.

The thing is a lot of them have been recruited and have turned down higher pay to stay with Coach Kill.

Top Bottom