Khari Blasingame flips to Vanderbilt

jaymil

Reaction score
Figured this deserved its own thread. Per 247 and GI, Blasingame is visiting Vandy this weekend and has changed his commitment.

Decommits happen, it's part of the game. But he didn't even tell Kill and staff he was looking around. That is weak and a sign of poor character. Good riddance.

Not happy to lose anyone but I'm not gonna team about this. Personally, I felt he was a reach anyway.

I cooled on him (about 15-min ago)

We won't miss anyone we never had on the field.

thought he would be like Demarius Travis and be a big help in the secondary when we play teams like Wisconsin and Iowa but i was never too high in him. oh well

Credit to Gopher Illustrated. I get that he is a young kid but come on man!

Is Blasingame solid in his decision to be a Gopher?

"I'm fully committed to Minnesota now and I don't have any more visits planned. I want Gophers fans to know that it feels good to say I'm going to be a Gopher."

He should probably change his twitter background
6ejyzyta.jpg

Not happy to lose anyone but I'm not gonna team about this. Personally, I felt he was a reach anyway.

Lol no. Don't do this. Not a reach. I am not freaking out or anything, but he was a solid recruit and is a significant loss. We would have been excited about him as a Gopher, we should be disappointed to lose the kid (and then move in with those who actually WANT to be a part of what we're building)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Commitment&src=hash">#Commitment</a>?</p>— Coach Brian Anderson (@CoachAnderson15) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachAnderson15/statuses/427248133869801472">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lol no. Don't do this. Not a reach. I am not freaking out or anything, but he was a solid recruit and is a significant loss. We would have been excited about him as a Gopher, we should be disappointed to lose the kid (and then move in with those who actually WANT to be a part of what we're building)

Listen, we r both entitled to our opinions and yes , I felt he was a reach. Two star DB's are a dime a dozen and if he doesn't want to be here then so long. His best offer besides us prior to his flip to Vandy was Middle Tennessee. Not a guy Kill and company can't replace with just a little bit of effort.

Listen, we r both entitled to our opinions and yes , I felt he was a reach. Two star DB's are a dime a dozen and if he doesn't want to be here then so long. His best offer besides us prior to his flip to Vandy was Middle Tennessee. Not a guy Kill and company can't replace with just a little bit of effort.

Of course we can replace him, in football everyone is replaceable.

Rivals has this kid as a 3 star with offers from Northwestern, Vandy?, and us. I think it's a pretty big loss to this class. We need more DBs in this class, this is a kid we obviously liked quite a bit and we lose him in the last couple of weeks. Because I trust Kill's ability to evaluate talent, this bothers me even more. He was obviously an early priority and we were excited to land him, so it makes sense that losing him will hurt.

As far as 2 star DBs being a dime a dozen. . . you mean like Eric Murray? Cedric Thompson? Derrick Wells?

Northwestern offered him as well. The staff wanted Blasingame pretty badly. That in itself suggests this is a pretty big loss. Especially considering we were already kind of scrambling for DB's in this class. Of course you're entitled to your opinion but I disagree an athlete like Blasingame who is also a great student is a dime a dozen and will be easy to replace.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Switching my commitment to Vandy.</p>— Khari Blasingame (@Kb_bucks1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kb_bucks1/statuses/427261987270053888">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I called the staff at Minnesota to let them know first. I appreciate the opportunity they gave me but have chosen to go elsewhere.</p>— Khari Blasingame (@Kb_bucks1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kb_bucks1/statuses/427262223757901824">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I talked with the Recruits at Minny and they are truly classy guys , wished me well. And i wish the best of luck to them as well!</p>— Khari Blasingame (@Kb_bucks1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kb_bucks1/statuses/427262674800349184">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>For everyone who thinks i did not call the staff and let them know is wrong. I tried to handle it in the best way possibly could.</p>— Khari Blasingame (@Kb_bucks1) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kb_bucks1/statuses/427263286812241920">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Someone with subscriber status on one of the sites can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it he probably called them to tell them he was flipping (hence the tweet from him) but essentially blindsided them by not telling them he was looking around (hence the tweet from Coach Anderson). Correct? If so, rough move by a kid who otherwise came off like a great kid. But not telling them he's looking around this close to NSD where the staff's efforts may have otherwise shifted just comes off awfully bad.

I may have come across a little too strong in my original post. I am sorry to lose this kid because if we offered him, then Kill and company wanted him. My point is that it wasn't like big time schools wanted him at the time he committed here so I felt like he was kind of a reach that the staff felt like they could coach up. That being the case, if he doesn't want to be here then good riddance. I was unaware of the Northwestern offer. Perhaps other schools besides Middle Tennessee, UAB and us liked the kid. If so, then I stand corrected.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Commitment&src=hash">#Commitment</a>?</p>— Coach Brian Anderson (@CoachAnderson15) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachAnderson15/statuses/427248133869801472">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

I know it sucks when a kid flips, but let it go. I am pretty sure the staff is still working kids that are "committed" to other schools.

Location closer to home and great academics. Hate to see him leave, but I like what he views as important. Good Luck to him. Go Gophers!

I know it sucks when a kid flips, but let it go. I am pretty sure the staff is still working kids that are "committed" to other schools.

Easy to say, but none of us know the context here. For all we know, Anderson could have talked to Blasingham yesterday and been told, "I'm 100% committed". We've seen plenty of decommits the past few years, but I don't recall any of the coaches acknowledging them in such a public way before. That has me thinking things had been said/promises made that obviously were not upheld.

Would I have handled it in this way, I hope not, and ask Coach Anderson in a week if he will have regretted this post - maybe, but again, we don't know the context.

Easy to say, but none of us know the context here. For all we know, Anderson could have talked to Blasingham yesterday and been told, "I'm 100% committed". We've seen plenty of decommits the past few years, but I don't recall any of the coaches acknowledging them in such a public way before. That has me thinking things had been said/promises made that obviously were not upheld.

Would I have handled it in this way, I hope not, and ask Coach Anderson in a week if he will have regretted this post - maybe, but again, we don't know the context.
Fair point. Further proof that social media has made a helluva an impact on the recruiting game.

Offers from Northwestern and Vandy - this is a bright kid. It continues to bug me that Stanford, Vandy, and Northwestern aren't consistently in the Top 10. What kid would want to pass up the chance to get an education at one of those schools?

The polar vortex is not a great recruiting tool.

Offers from Northwestern and Vandy - this is a bright kid. It continues to bug me that Stanford, Vandy, and Northwestern aren't consistently in the Top 10. What kid would want to pass up the chance to get an education at one of those schools?

The polar vortex is not a great recruiting tool.

Minnesota is a better school than Vanderbilt.

Minnesota is a better school than Vanderbilt.

The U of M has very good education, but Vanderbilt is in another level academic wise. Top 30 school vs top 70-75 school. There's quite a difference.

Top Bottom