KFAN

GophertrappedinMI

Reaction score
Hi
First I have been a lurker for years keeping up with all things Gophers thanks to this site. I enjoy the banter between the regular posters. I had to post wrt to KFAN.

1.) I have not lived in MN for 10 years, DB and KFAN are doing the same schtic. Not very creative, which I can tell from the posts. (I love coming to MN for KQ for the same reasons.)
2.) There are only two responses appropriate to KFAN IMHO. 1.) Ignore and not have it on the site which is unlikely because it is not human nature not to respond. 2.) Adopt the same methodology. Everyday there should be a one and only one thread with responses ripping the KFAN hosts. Nothing is off limits, give as you get.

I can start, DB is offering opinions on a subject that he clearly has not put in the effort to understand. Ripping the Gopher football team is legitimate because it has been so bad for so long (in school early '90's). Doing it with your head completely up your arse like KFAN is unacceptable for a "journalist". BTW, I think Brew will get it together, he came with a steep learning curve and we knew that.

I look forward to the rips "one post and you are an expert", I love those.

I'm all for ripping on KFAN as much as possible. I would even tolerate listening to them everyday if it was for the greater comedic good.

Hi
First I have been a lurker for years keeping up with all things Gophers thanks to this site. I enjoy the banter between the regular posters. I had to post wrt to KFAN.

1.) I have not lived in MN for 10 years, DB and KFAN are doing the same schtic. Not very creative, which I can tell from the posts. (I love coming to MN for KQ for the same reasons.)
2.) There are only two responses appropriate to KFAN IMHO. 1.) Ignore and not have it on the site which is unlikely because it is not human nature not to respond. 2.) Adopt the same methodology. Everyday there should be a one and only one thread with responses ripping the KFAN hosts. Nothing is off limits, give as you get.

I can start, DB is offering opinions on a subject that he clearly has not put in the effort to understand. Ripping the Gopher football team is legitimate because it has been so bad for so long (in school early '90's). Doing it with your head completely up your arse like KFAN is unacceptable for a "journalist". BTW, I think Brew will get it together, he came with a steep learning curve and we knew that.

I agree with most of that; sorry to disappoint you.:)

Here's all you need to know about "Your Sports Leader":

* In the ad-favored 25-to-54-year-old demographic, automated music station JACK has nearly doubled its 6 a.m.-midnight share since last spring. Meanwhile KS95, K102 and B96 have all seen share gains of 30 percent or more. Ratings monster KQRS and top-tier Cities97 have basically held steady.

* On the flip side, KFAN has seen its all-day share shrink by 20 percent, including the 6-10 a.m. block ("The Power Trip" and an hour of Paul Allen) and 3-7 p.m. (mostly Dan Barreiro). Woman-talker FM107 is down by a third.

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2009/07/15/10258/new_ratings_technology_pummels_local_talk_radio

Hi

The problem with Barrero is that he doesn't know anything about Minnesota sports, esp. the Gophers. It's easy for him to rip the Gophers because every non-fan, he just hears second hand that they lost, that Brewster's a big mouth, etc., and they suck. He can't add anything, such as criticism of specific schemes or coaching decisions because he doesn't know any of the coaches (other than Brewster) and certainly doesn't know any of the players.

I will actually give it to him that he does seem reasonably smart, but he is clearly depressed because he can't land a gig in Chicago. That flavors everything he says.

* In the ad-favored 25-to-54-year-old demographic, automated music station JACK has nearly doubled its 6 a.m.-midnight share since last spring. Meanwhile KS95, K102 and B96 have all seen share gains of 30 percent or more. Ratings monster KQRS and top-tier Cities97 have basically held steady.

* On the flip side, KFAN has seen its all-day share shrink by 20 percent, including the 6-10 a.m. block ("The Power Trip" and an hour of Paul Allen) and 3-7 p.m. (mostly Dan Barreiro). Woman-talker FM107 is down by a third.

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2009/07/15/10258/new_ratings_technology_pummels_local_talk_radio

Interesting. The Fall Book which would cover the Vikings season, should show a marked increase for KFAN. If it doesn't that would mean big trouble for them.

2.) Adopt the same methodology. Everyday there should be a one and only one thread with responses ripping the KFAN hosts. Nothing is off limits, give as you get.

This is 100% correct. This is the right response.

If I could mobilize anyone, I'd be a community organizer and, eventually, your president. Since I'm not, somebody else get folks to rally around this cause and I will.

Nice post, I had never heard of these PPM's. Using this kind of technology seem LONG overdue. How about 'Garage Logic'falling from 3rd to 11th in the time slot! Yikes. It sounds like maybe the ratings haven't really dropped as much as they weren't being accurately measured in the past? Now that they have a new system, they have a better idea of what the REAL ratings are. Unless I read it wrong....

Correct on the REAL ratings, but there is some gray area. For example. if you have a PPM and enter a store that has on 104.1, I suppose you're listening, but it's not appointment listening. But the PPM model is 10,000 times better than trusting people to write down in a diary what they listen to.
As for sports-talk radio, with the PPMs, it initially struggled nation-wide, although time spent listening is decent. Don't kno how it has been over the last few months, although as someone previously posted, it looks like Brauer has some numbers.

I think if Dan ripped people more on his show like a 3rd grader more people would listen. What do you think?

The only KFAN guy with a shred of creativity or originality is common. The rest regurgitate somebody else's schtick. Find out who they are copying and listen to the real article. SCORE 690 is a way better station.

The problem with KFAN is that they don't know what they want to be. If they don't want to be a sports station they should change their call letters and stop billing themselves as a sports station. It really is time somebody else steps up in that market with a real all sports station, despite what DB says I think there is a market for it (he's just opposed to it because it would cut into his ratings, it may not beat him, but it would no doubt cut into his ratings). I live in the Phoenix area and there are 3 local all sports stations down here and all seem to be doing just fine.

Two things to point out here (to be fair to KFAN - I honestly enjoy listening to the station)

- first, the article is from July, 2009 if I saw the dateline correctly. Not sure what has happened in the past 7 months.

- second, the article does not claim that the listening audience has dropped, but that the method of measuring the audience has changed, resulting in different results. Point being, they still may have the same or more listeners for that matter. The comparisons have to be made between similar means of measuring those listeners, and this article does not do that.

Also, what are they like 11 watts, I live in the north metro and can barely get the signal most morning and nights.

Two things to point out here (to be fair to KFAN - I honestly enjoy listening to the station)

- first, the article is from July, 2009 if I saw the dateline correctly. Not sure what has happened in the past 7 months.

- second, the article does not claim that the listening audience has dropped, but that the method of measuring the audience has changed, resulting in different results. Point being, they still may have the same or more listeners for that matter. The comparisons have to be made between similar means of measuring those listeners, and this article does not do that.

The most recent arbitron ratings are not impressive for K-suck. They are the 14th ranked station in the market and show a decrease from November to December (despite the Vikings making their playoff run). They will likely see a further decrease since their money maker (i.e. the Vikings) are no longer playing, the T-wolves are horrendous (the general public cares about them even less than Gopher sports), and the Wild is largely a niche following (not to mention K-suck knows little about pro hockey besides having Louie on and their small hockey show on the weekend). This recent increased talk about the Gophers is not by accident considering they will have very little else to talk about now until the Twins start their season. See below

Ranking Outlet Format NOV 09 DEC 09 HOL 09
1 WLTE-FM Soft Adult Contemporary 3.8 7.0 8.9
2 KQRS-FM Classic Rock 9.8 8.8 8.2
3 KDWB-FM Pop Contemporary Hit Radio 7.8 8.0 8.1
4 KQQL-FM Oldies 4.1 6.0 7.5
5t KEEY-FM Country 8.1 7.3 6.2
5t KSTP-FM Hot Adult Contemporary 7.6 6.7 6.2
7 WCCO-AM News Talk Information 6.6 5.8 5.9
8 KXXR-FM Active Rock 5.2 4.7 4.8
9 KTCZ-FM Album Adult Alternative 5.2 5.4 4.7
10 KNOW-FM News Talk Information 4.8 4.8 4.3
11t KTTB-FM Rhythmic Contemporary Hit Radio 3.6 3.7 3.8