KFAN Post-game - Fargo Flash thinks Brew back next year?

I am not going to defend Coach Brewster. He is very capable of doing that.

But I will stand by the Gophers like I have for the past 50 years. Damn, I wish I was able to go to Madtown this weekend.

I buy season tickets for two reasons: support the program and because I enjoy CFB.

He's satisfied with mediocrity how?

He chastised the guy for wanting to give up his season tickets for being disgusted with the performance of brewster and the football squad. That is called satisfied with mediocrity. People who are not satisfied with mediocrity vote with their pocketbook.

He chastised the guy for wanting to give up his season tickets for being disgusted with the performance of brewster and the football squad. That is called satisfied with mediocrity. People who are not satisfied with mediocrity vote with their pocketbook.

That will solve everything!

wow sonny, what a wonderful show of support for the Golden Gopher football program. You should be supporting the program no matter who the coach is or no matter what the state of the program is in. I'll be glad to buy those tickets from you.

Uh disagree jabroni!!! U can buy season tix at any time, u don't need to buy from him. Your just as delusional as your boy Brewster. Shut the F up!!!

If we don't win another game this year, they have to fire Brewster. If he was allowed another year after only winning 1 or 2 games, the season ticket renewals would plummet, and recruiting would tank. The season tickets is correctable, but losing a year (most likely 2 years) of recruiting would be harder to bounce back from.

Still following the team despite them not being very good and having a lousy coach isn't being satisfied with mediocrity. I have no problem with people doing whatever they want with their money, but it is silly to think that everyone who keeps their season tickets despite the poor coaching isn't as critical of the team

One man's opinion.

I don't know if folks realize this or even care but one of the primary reasons Mn recruits who have the option decide to leave the state has a lot to do with fan support or the lack of it.

Certainly folks have the right to do what they choose with their money. However recruits from Mn are witness to this and it factors into their decision (or fathers) decision that they should play somewhere else.

Think about it. If a supposed fan of the program will bail everytime there is some adversity, why should we expect a kid to risk 4 or 5 years of their life to play for the U? Especially when they won't have the option to step away from the program as easily as the "fans"?

You're either a fan or you're not. Sometimes the program will win, sometimes it won't. Sometimes you will like the coach, sometimes you won't. However, regardless of the record or performance on the field you should support the program.

Minnesota Sports Fan

Bingo. Gotta love the fans that just expect people to pony up for season tickets to go watch a 1-10 team. Why the fuc& would people pay to watch what is on the field right now, why don't you jump off that horse you're riding on Jay. If Brew is gone and we go get a coach that is worth a lick I will be keeping my tickets, if not I will wait until Brew is gone and at that time there will be more than enough season tickets available for me to jump back in. In the meantime you have a heck of a time watching bad football in a half empty stadium next year.

That is the definition of a stereotypical Minnesota sports fan.

That is the definition of a stereotypical Minnesota sports fan.

You have that right.

People need to stop and think. If they really want the program to succeed, they need to buy tickets and support the team; win or lose.

Recruits notice the game day atmosphere or lack of it. Recruits hear the boos. Lack of revenue severely limits the U's ability to hire top coaches and retain them. There are other reasons to hang tough like 24 said.

Brewster has given people plenty to bitch about. I understand that. I did not support Mason his last three years but I kept my tickets and cheered for the team at home and one away game a year. And I will do the same no matter the coach. Staying away and not buying tickets only makes the situation worse.

Agree. We are in a recessionary economy, and things are tough all over the place. And when it comes to discretionary spending like that, it's not my place nor anyone else (in my opinion) to question that or make value judgments on how others choose to spend or not spend their money.

If that person feels that he/she is throwing their hard-earned money away on a product that is extremely unsatisfying to them, then they have every right to not do that anymore and not be questioned or attacked about it as if they've made some morally indefensible choice.

the economy excuse? get real! people looking at purchasing or renewing season tickets arent concerned about the economy. it may prevent someone from buying single game tickets but its a joke to me that those able to consider buying season tickets are thinking about the economy.

So those fans who have had season tickets for decades aren't real fans, but those who will only get tickets when the team is going well are the real fans?

You have that right.

People need to stop and think. If they really want the program to succeed, they need to buy tickets and support the team; win or lose.

Recruits notice the game day atmosphere or lack of it. Recruits hear the boos. Lack of revenue severely limits the U's ability to hire top coaches and retain them. There are other reasons to hang tough like 24 said.

Brewster has given people plenty to bitch about. I understand that. I did not support Mason his last three years but I kept my tickets and cheered for the team at home and one away game a year. And I will do the same no matter the coach. Staying away and not buying tickets only makes the situation worse.

What he said.

Everyone can make their own decisions to renew/not renew, but don't expect to not get ripped if you come on a Gopher Football message board and make some big statement about how you aren't going to support the team anymore.

Oh, you are a bad fan if you sell your tickets to Iowa/Wisc./OSU/etc. fans-you just are.

and this helps the program how? just curious? because mason coached for 10 years and even the single year he had success we didnt sell out the dome. iowa and wisky had equal fans and the michigan game wasnt sold out either. so we didnt support them when they were ok and we dont support them when they struggle. in 20 years of supporting the gophers i dont see how not showing up has helped our program!

Season tickets

First off, anybody who has had their season tickets for longer than 10-15 years is VERY VERY unlikely to not renew their season tickets. That's just not how it works.

So let me get this straight... If Brewster stays on, you're going to cancel your season tickets. THEN, in a year or two when either the team turns it around or they get a new coach who raises the level of play, there you are, sitting there wishing you had ridden out a couple of bad years? You're not going to feel pretty stupid sitting there wishing you still had your tickets?

My guess is, for those that have had their tickets for just a handful of years, there are people who would be more than happy to pick up your tickets if/when you decide that being a true fan means cancelling your tickets.

Let me say it as clearly and succintly as possible. Anybody who doesn't renew their Gophers season tickets or stops going to games because of the performance of the team is NOT A REAL GOPHERS FAN. You are a frontrunner. Real college football fans support their team through thick and thin, through good seasons and bad, no matter who the coach is, and who the AD is. End of story.

ripping your team isn't being a bad fan. nor are you a bad fan for not renewing because of the crap that is on the field with an inept coach. if anything, you have standards for doing that. i understand sticking with your team through thick and thin, but when it's been almost always thin for the past 40 years it's completely fair to say enough is enough and not renew.

we are the only major division 1 university in the state and we have trouble being successful at the sports that matter financially, as well as in the eyes of most people. perhaps more people should hurt the university with their pocketbooks so maybe the administration would finally wake up from their coma and do something substantial about their athletic department. that is hardly being a bandwagon fan.

ripping your team isn't being a bad fan. nor are you a bad fan for not renewing because of the crap that is on the field with an inept coach. if anything, you have standards for doing that. i understand sticking with your team through thick and thin, but when it's been almost always thin for the past 40 years it's completely fair to say enough is enough and not renew.

we are the only major division 1 university in the state and we have trouble being successful at the sports that matter financially, as well as in the eyes of most people. perhaps more people should hurt the university with their pocketbooks so maybe the administration would finally wake up from their coma and do something substantial about their athletic department. that is hardly being a bandwagon fan.

Are you familiar with the term "Death Spiral"?

Are you familiar with the term "Death Spiral"?

Some people's response to a leaky boat is to take a sledge hammer and smash even larger holes in it, in the hopes that this will get the leaks fixed faster. It doesn't work. It just leaves you with a sunk boat. Starving the U to get them to do something about football assumes that the administration knows what to do about the situation, but for some reason choose not to do anything about it. The administration has made mistakes, but the claim that these mistakes are actually intentional requires some justification. Starving the U is just smashing holes in a leaky boat.

My problem with the Admin and Maturi is they took the improvement/momentum generated by Mason and gambled it on a long shot hire.

perhaps more people should hurt the university with their pocketbooks so maybe the administration would finally wake up from their coma and do something substantial about their athletic department.

Like build the first new Big Ten football stadium in 43 years?

My problem with the Admin and Maturi is they took the improvement/momentum generated by Mason and gambled it on a long shot hire.

The momentum generated by Mason was lost on Oct. 10, 2003. Program was in decline from that point on.

They blew the hire.

No, something else, something more substantial. We need to think long-term, but I just can't put my finger on it...

Have any of those here saying they will not renew their season tickets if Brew is brought back contacted the powers that be to express your concerns?

I would love 2 extra seats in section 212. Looks like the 4 next to me are owned by brokers as they have been occupied by visiting fans every week. Here's hoping they open up.

yes they did build a beautiful new stadium, but does that mean they're going to do something about the product thats in the new building? or is it just going to be a pretty place to watch the same thing that has been going on for years? i feel like this university will be content to say "hey we built a new stadium, we're serious about building a winner" when in all reality it's probably lip service. if brewster gets another year, it's an indictment on the administration and whether or not anybody agrees with me there will be a ton of empty seats next year.

yes they did build a beautiful new stadium, but does that mean they're going to do something about the product thats in the new building? or is it just going to be a pretty place to watch the same thing that has been going on for years? i feel like this university will be content to say "hey we built a new stadium, we're serious about building a winner" when in all reality it's probably lip service. if brewster gets another year, it's an indictment on the administration and whether or not anybody agrees with me there will be a ton of empty seats next year.

They blew a hire and will try again. Florida's blown a hire. Alabama's blown a hire. Michigan State has blown several hires. It happens.

No, they understand that they have significantly less power and influence than they pretend on here. The financial reality is that attendance revenue isn't the main revenue stream to the athletic department.

I don't know if folks realize this or even care but one of the primary reasons Mn recruits who have the option decide to leave the state has a lot to do with fan support or the lack of it.

Certainly folks have the right to do what they choose with their money. However recruits from Mn are witness to this and it factors into their decision (or fathers) decision that they should play somewhere else.

I would also note that when I was in high school in the early 90's, it was not cool to be a fan of the Gopher football team. Hockey and hoops, sure, but nobody cared about U of M Football. Guys who were college football fans were fans of SEC teams, or USC, or Michigan. I highly doubt that's changed much today.

The only thing LAME is telling other people how to spend their money and thinking that they can't voice their opinion with the almighty dollar.

If Brewster is allowed to come back I have no problem with people voting with their wallets. The dude is a terrible coach and he needs to go. He defends every moronic decision whether its right or wrong. Its time.

Not buying tickets doesn't mean you aren't a fan, either.

Well, what does it make you then? People who pick up their marbles and go home have that right, but they're also out of the game.

Top Bottom