KFAN is a joke

Um, please speak for yourself. I want MN to become elite again, NOT like Iowa and Wisconsuck. We've been consistently at the top before, and we can do so again. And if you think OSU, Michigan, and PSU are out of reach then you have your head up YOUR ass.

Just because it happened a long time ago doesn't mean we're only able to reach "Wisconsin" or "Iowa" status; that's just plain insulting.

This post is hysterical. I know this will come as a shock to you, but the world has changed since 1940. It was a little different back in the day when the Gophers were dominating college football.
Keep the dream though. It has only been 42 years since that last conference title, I am sure the next one is right around the corner. Once you win one, all you have to do to get to the level of Ohio State is win the next five as well. Good luck.

I'm sorry I accidently hijacked this into a Vikes v. Gophers thread. My point was only that KFAN has hitched the entire station to a franchise that may or may not be here in 5 years instead of having a diversivied platform that would include coverage of the local university, which happens to play football at a fairly high level itself. KFAN acts like the Gophers are a summit league team or something.

On a side note I think that most football fans pay attention to both, but I don't understand why almost all of the casual fans slant heavily toward the Vikes. The on field performance has been similar (consistently mediocre, occasionally good, never great) and the off field stuff has been far worse and more frequent. I just do not get it.

I think for many it has to do with the ability to identify the players. Even someone who may only watch 4 or 5 games a year probably knows who Favre, Peterson, and Jared Allen are. They probably know who most of the teams in the NFL are as well. Players stay in the NFL for a long time, they can be superstars for a long time. In college, most great players are well-known for 2 or 3 years. Decker was really well known for probably just two years, now he's no longer a Gopher.

It's just much easier to be a casual NFL fan over college football. The rosters don't change as much in the nfl.

Flipping around the dial I found 1620 from Nebraska and they we conducting interviews with the incoming recruits and talking about all the players, etc... It was crazy, I actually enjoyed listening to the program even though I could care less about Nebraska football. I know that it is the only game in town in Omaha, but could we get just a little of this type of programing on a few key days of the year!!!

I actually listened to the stream of the 1620 programming for a while on signing day. As you correctly point out, there isn't much else going on in Nebraska so the fact that football dominates the airwaves and print media shouldn't be a surprise. I'd love to see that kind of attention paid here but that just won't ever happen in a market with pro sports teams. Is it too much to ask for a station like KFAN to have a signing-day hour long special? No, it isn't...I'd have tuned in for that kind of program.

KFAN does offer the Gopher fanline after games - I wonder if that has a decent-sized audience? If it dosn't, maybe that influences their lack of willingness to invest any time into the Gophers? I try to catch the Gopher post-game on KFAN whenever I can and enjoy it - but if it doesn't get support, that isn't helping the cause any.

After Barrerio spent 10 years complaining in print and over the air about "Grinnin' Glenn Mason", he now reveres him on his show as though he were Ara Parseghian.

That's what kills me. Barrerio spent the better part of Mason's tenure here mocking and ridiculing him. Now when Mason comes on you have to listen to Danny stroke him for the entire interview. Goes to show the mindset of talk radio. The hosts don't believe half the things they say. They merely say them to get people fired up and elicit a response. The more you realize that it is an intellectually dishonest business the better off you'll be.

Admitted he knows nothing about college...

but today I tuned in over lunch and he had Judd Zulgad on talking pro football. This is PA's self proclaimed specialty.

Talking about free agents, PA said "Don't you think the Vikings will think about franchising Chester Taylor? Because I think they might!" Judd responded instantly with a "no way" and almost laughed in PA's face. He said that would be about 8 million per year for a 31 one year old back up running back!

I get that he doesn't understand college football, but you would think he would have a bit more sense regarding the Vikings. He bluffs his way through everything and consistently makes a fool of himself.

but today I tuned in over lunch and he had Judd Zulgad on talking pro football. This is PA's self proclaimed specialty.

Talking about free agents, PA said "Don't you think the Vikings will think about franchising Chester Taylor? Because I think they might!" Judd responded instantly with a "no way" and almost laughed in PA's face. He said that would be about 8 million per year for a 31 one year old back up running back!

I get that he doesn't understand college football, but you would think he would have a bit more sense regarding the Vikings. He bluffs his way through everything and consistently makes a fool of himself.

My favorite was years ago when PA claimed that Loren Woods would become the answer at the center position for the Wolves. If you know anything about hoops, that is like saying Nick Punto will be the next big power hitter for the Twins. Woods would go on to average less than two points a game.

I miss Dubay, he could at least go in depth on most Gopher teams, especially hockey, and he could name at least 5 players on every other WCHA team. PA only knows Vikings and the NBA, and he is only fair on both of these. The Wolves suck, so no one really cares,and the Viking season is over. So he tries to talk Gophers to "kill segments" or worse yet NHL with Clutterbuck. Then he bi@ch's about what a horrible interview Cal is. Maybe if PA could name more then 5 guys in the NHL, Cal would value his questions.

This is a huge hockey town too, yet he gets away with just saying, "I know nothing about the Gopher Football, I know nothing about the NHL, I know nothing about Gopher basketball or college basketball". Last week he admitted he hasn't been to the Barn since the Kris Humprhies season, and that was probably because Dubay drug (pardon the pun) him there. His side kick was like, Oh "we need to get you down to a game...". Ya think? Tubby's been here 2.5 years and he hasn't seen them play once? Pathetic, at least try a little bit, so you can have something to say.

Yes, I obviously listen, and no I don't know why. Sorry for the rant.

I think for many it has to do with the ability to identify the players. Even someone who may only watch 4 or 5 games a year probably knows who Favre, Peterson, and Jared Allen are. They probably know who most of the teams in the NFL are as well. Players stay in the NFL for a long time, they can be superstars for a long time. In college, most great players are well-known for 2 or 3 years. Decker was really well known for probably just two years, now he's no longer a Gopher.

It's just much easier to be a casual NFL fan over college football. The rosters don't change as much in the nfl.

I think the original poster was way off base comparing the Gophers and the Vikings in terms of on field performance. The Vikings have been much, much better than the Gophers during my lifetime. In a little over a decade, they've been to 3 NFC title games (favored in 2 of them) and featured some of the biggest stars in the NFL over that time period: Randy Moss, Adrian Peterson, Cris Carter, John Randle, Brett Favre, Daunte Culpepper, and Jared Allen. The Gophers have not even finished as high as 3rd in the Big Ten during the same time span.

Top Bottom