Kevin Stallings pays $100K out of pocket for Vandy to take summer trip to Australia

Bleed,

Your memory is correct. Last summer trip was the first year of the Monson era.

I'm sure it is perfectly legal, but how can a coach pay for a trip like this out of his own pocket? I assume that means he is buying his players airline tickets, meals, hotels, etc. There must be some exemption that allows this for trips with the team. Obviously, the school can buy many of these things for kids on a trip, but I always thought it was against rules for coaches to do so. I mean could Tubby just buy his guys stuff out of his own pocket on a road trip?

Not trying to take anything away from Stallings, because he is making a wonderful financial sacrifice for his team here.

I'm sure it is perfectly legal, but how can a coach pay for a trip like this out of his own pocket? I assume that means he is buying his players airline tickets, meals, hotels, etc. There must be some exemption that allows this for trips with the team. Obviously, the school can buy many of these things for kids on a trip, but I always thought it was against rules for coaches to do so. I mean could Tubby just buy his guys stuff out of his own pocket on a road trip?

Not trying to take anything away from Stallings, because he is making a wonderful financial sacrifice for his team here.

Most likely, he wrote a check to Vandy, which paid for the trip.

Don't get too enamored about the altruism of Kevin Stallings, currently he is into the short rows of developing a pipeline of kids into Vandy from this part of the world. There may not be A LOT of kids down there, but when you get yourself front and center on everybodies radar it isn't a bad thing for recruiting. He already has had 3 kids on from down there and I think 2 still play?

Top Bottom