Kevin Noreen?

WadeHokenson

Reaction score
I know he's not a real option for the Gophers since they didn't seem real enamored with him in the first place, and I'm not asking if the Gophers should start looking at him. But do JohnnyGopher, GopherWarrior, other recruiting wizards, or anybody "in the know" have any insight on what his plans may be now that Skinner is gone from BC?

Tubby may have more open scholarships now than he did when Noreen committed to BC. He may be worth a look.

Tubby may have more open scholarships now than he did when Noreen committed to BC. He may be worth a look.

No way Tubby gives up Mbakwe's scholarship before the trial or before its dropped and no way he gives up either Walker or Cory's for him. He might also be holding one for Royce too. At the moment we don't have any open scholarships for Noreen, and even if we did I wouldn't want to use it on him.

My point is that Tubby likely knows how many scholarships he has and who he will give them to.

I suspect Tubby knows what will happen to White, what will happen to Cobbs and perhaps others. I also suspect Tubby knows what the situation is with Joseph and Walker.

Recent success of "non-athletic" Minnesota kids (Wittman, Woodside, N. Dahlman and to a lesser extent, Leuer) would lead me to take a long look at Noreen now that he is back on the market.

If Tubby has looked at Noreen and has decided no, I am ok with that.

My point is that Tubby likely knows how many scholarships he has and who he will give them to.

I suspect Tubby knows what will happen to White, what will happen to Cobbs and perhaps others. I also suspect Tubby knows what the situation is with Joseph and Walker.

Recent success of "non-athletic" Minnesota kids (Wittman, Woodside, N. Dahlman and to a lesser extent, Leuer) would lead me to take a long look at Noreen now that he is back on the market.

If Tubby has looked at Noreen and has decided no, I am ok with that.

I don't think Noreen has de-committed, has he?

He hasn't de-committed...I was just curious if anybody in the know knew if he was planning to stay with BC, or was looking elsewhere. Again, not advocating a Gophers offer. Sorry for confusion.

P.S. What did the link to the other discussion mean? I didn't see any conversation about this general topic.

N. Dahlman? I guess he's really good at being the first guy off the bench to get in the pile-on after a game winning shot. When I saw Noreen during the state tournament, I saw a slow, soft big man that could barely post on 6'4" kids. I did not think he is close to his rank on ESPN. (92..?) I would be mad if he took a scholarship over one that could go to White, Mbakwe, Walker, or of course Joseph.

He hasn't de-committed...I was just curious if anybody in the know knew if he was planning to stay with BC, or was looking elsewhere. Again, not advocating a Gophers offer. Sorry for confusion.

P.S. What did the link to the other discussion mean? I didn't see any conversation about this general topic.

It was a discussion about Noreen.

I wondered if he would still go to BC, but for a different reason. Part of the explanation for the firing of their coach was that he played a boring style of basketball and they wanted more of an uptempo game (I think the description was he played plodding Big East basketball in the ACC). I wonder if the new coach will think that Kevin fits that style.

With a new coach coming in, I doubt that the school would force him to take a commit from a player that fit the previous coach's plan but not his. That would really stink, but it happens (see Tubby and Andrew Brommer).

The Noreen's haven't decided for sure yet but they we're already putting out feelers a week ago when it looked like Skinner may get the St. Johns job. Minnesota is well aware of the Noreen's current situation as are other schools who we're contacted. Skinner was a big part of his decision to go out there but if they promote one particular assistant, then he may stay. Northwestern is one school ready to pounce if he opens back up, they also really like Alec Brown. Minnesota has never been a big Noreen fan and never thought he would fit in with what they want the team to look like athletically and I don't see that changing.

I've played and watched Noreen in AAU and when he had to play more athletic teams he was a non factor. He would be very good at Winona St.

I've played and watched Noreen in AAU and when he had to play more athletic teams he was a non factor. He would be very good at Winona St.

I'm guessing this poster is a poser. You obviously know very little about 2009 AAU basketball. Did that viewing include games against the "more athletic teams" that had guys like Josh Hairston (DC Assault/Duke), Wayne Blackshear (Mac Ervin/Louisville), Meyers Leonard (IL Warriors/Illinois), Dwight Powell (Grassroots Canada/Stanford), Nate Lubick (NE Playaz/Georgetown), Ricky Kreklow (KC PumpNRun/Missouri), etc, who Noreen went up against and outplayed/outscored? Saw some of these performances and read about the rest online; and there were more. These AAU teams were some of the most athletic in the country. Noreen would give the Gophers a skilled, high-IQ "4", with outside range to open the floor. He obviously will need to bulk up a bit, but he will definitely be playing at a BCS school next year, not Winona; and, if Tubby made some adjustments with how he utilizes bigs, Noreen would fit with the Gophs. Look at the success of guys like Coble and Leuer in the Big 10 and Hayward at Butler and it's not that big of a stretch to envision Noreen having the potential at playing at nearly the same level as well.

I'm guessing this poster is a poser. You obviously know very little about 2009 AAU basketball. Did that viewing include games against the "more athletic teams" that had guys like Josh Hairston (DC Assault/Duke), Wayne Blackshear (Mac Ervin/Louisville), Meyers Leonard (IL Warriors/Illinois), Dwight Powell (Grassroots Canada/Stanford), Nate Lubick (NE Playaz/Georgetown), Ricky Kreklow (KC PumpNRun/Missouri), etc, who Noreen went up against and outplayed/outscored? Saw some of these performances and read about the rest online; and there were more. These AAU teams were some of the most athletic in the country. Noreen would give the Gophers a skilled, high-IQ "4", with outside range to open the floor. He obviously will need to bulk up a bit, but he will definitely be playing at a BCS school next year, not Winona; and, if Tubby made some adjustments with how he utilizes bigs, Noreen would fit with the Gophs. Look at the success of guys like Coble and Leuer in the Big 10 and Hayward at Butler and it's not that big of a stretch to envision Noreen having the potential at playing at nearly the same level as well.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "poser" but who well. He's not a BCS conference player. For every Jon Leuer there is a Cory Johnson and Travis Busch, I hate how this site acts like it's blasphemy to say anything negative about a Minnesota prospect. He's slow and unathletic. I'm not saying this because he's white as you seem to be hinting, I'm saying this because he's slow and unathletic. The thought of him trying to keep up with guys like Mike Davis, Draymond Green, or Jajuan Johnson is scary.

He's slow and unathletic. I'm not saying this because he's white as you seem to be hinting, I'm saying this because he's slow and unathletic.

This article made me think about Noreen. Hope we didn't pass on a slow-nonathletic 'great basketball player'.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-race040410

Hayward and Howard managed to lead small school Butler to victories over three Top 15 teams en route to a berth in the championship game.

Negative stereotypes about lack of speed, agility and leaping ability are being challenged.

“For me, it was always just about being a basketball player,” Hayward said. “I’d watch some of the great white players in the NBA and say, ‘Why can’t I do that?’

I thought I made it pretty clear that it wasn't because he was white.

Top Bottom