Kentucky got bad news...Enes Kanter ruled ineligible by NCAA

Coach Cal clearly tried to slip one past the goalie here. Kentucky agrees with the NCAA that Kanter was paid $33,033 more for the '08-'09 season than he was permitted to receive, yet still think he should be eligible. I guess anything $200K or below is "collegial" when Calipari is in town.

And FOT was trying to convince people that Sandy Bell was so good she would not let anything like this slip past her. LOL. Kentucky is admitting this kid was a pro, and they still are trying to appeal to get him to be able to play college basketball. That's brazen.

The NCAA forgot it said Kentucky on the application and he will be eligible next week.

Actually, it's a sad case considering the money was spent on his education (and 13,000 of it sits unused) and the NCAA said if the team itself had paid the money everything would be fine. That's the NCAA for you though. I hope it gets turned over on appeal but I'm not holding my breath.

Not too many people outside the Commonwealth weeping over this decison by the NCAA. Poor, poor, wittle ole' Kentucky.

hahaha awesome, i hope they dont make it past the first round this year!

Friend of Sandy guaranteed us he'd be eligible to play, the truth said none of us knew what we were talking about and that kanter would be eligible. calipari only recruits choir boys.

Lol. That is a bright spot on the day.

Unbelievable that there would be so much heartache and hand wringing over a kid that's going to spend 6 months in college and jump to the NBA.

Friend of Sandy guaranteed us he'd be eligible to play
True that.

Where is FoS now on this? He said Kanter was guaranteed to play because he personally knows Sandy Bell in UK Compliance and she would NEVER admit a student-athlete who would be deemed ineligible by the NCAA?

It's a no brainer on this one; the guy was paid money above living expenses & education = he was a professional player. At least some of the people on Cat's Pause aren't entirely shocked by this decision...

Not too many people outside the Commonwealth weeping over this decison by the NCAA. Poor, poor, wittle ole' Kentucky.

Probably because they don't actually care about what happens to these kids. They'd rather just make pithy remarks because they don't like a particular coach or institution. That's pathetic in my book but to each his own.

Probably because they don't actually care about what happens to these kids. They'd rather just make pithy remarks because they don't like a particular coach or institution. That's pathetic in my book but to each his own.

Cloaking your fandom in the (self) righteous echo of caring about kids seems somewhat shallow, esepcially since this kid was coming to Kentucky to prep for the next level of pro basketball he will be playing. He will play for a lot more than $30,000+ soon enough. If people in the process really cared about him, they would not have steered him in the direction of college basketball when there was virtually no chance he would ever play. Hopefully, others on both sides of the recruiting equation are paying attention and more young players from overseas don't become unwitting victims of shameless recruiters with false promises.

Probably because they don't actually care about what happens to these kids.

Lol. Please. Take it back to the deluded masses at Catspause.

Cloaking your fandom in the (self) righteous echo of caring about kids seems somewhat shallow, esepcially since this kid was coming to Kentucky to prep for the next level of pro basketball he will be playing. He will play for a lot more than $30,000+ soon enough. If people in the process really cared about him, they would not have steered him in the direction of college basketball when there was virtually no chance he would ever play. Hopefully, others on both sides of the recruiting equation are paying attention and more young players from overseas don't become unwitting victims of shameless recruiters with false promises.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I doubt you even know how a. Euro basketball work b. the actual details of the situation or c. any real interest other than cheating allegations.

The NCAA, UK and the Kanter's all agreed the money wasn't the issue. What was at issue was how the money was dispersed. The Kanter's were offered the money to pay for Enes' tuition (he was enrolled in one of the most prestigious and pricey private schools in the country to prepare him academically), private tutoring that would travel with him, and other educational expenses. This is all documented and allowed under the rules. Where the violation occurs is the NCAA says the Club should have paid those expenses instead of giving the money to pay them.

Kanter had several multi-million dollar contract offers on the table in Europe (both in Turkey, Greece and the continent), was eligible for the 18 million dollar pool for the Turkish National Team and his father is a world renowned (and wealthy) professor of molecular biology and considered an expert in his field. But hey, they threw it all away for 33k (13,000 of which sits unused in a Club account that was set up for these expenses) and wasted all this time and effort to try to "fool" everybody.

Lol. Please. Take it back to the deluded masses at Catspause.

Sorry you lack the intellectual ability to separate your rational mind from a bias centered around a name on a jersey or a coach you've judged based on the ebbs and flows of public opinion.

I'm glad because you aren't.

Sorry you lack the intellectual ability to separate your rational mind from a bias centered around a name on a jersey or a coach you've judged based on the ebbs and flows of public opinion.

This is funny. Not because of the self-righteous nature of the scolding you present, but because it fits the vast majority of the Kentucky fanbase to a tee. That being the case, please refrain from telling others how they lack intellectual ability and possess an inability to seperate the rational mind from bias. Kentucky fans are about as biased a bunch as there is and you fall right in line with that dynamic, all of which makes you and your "the truth" handle even more comedic.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I doubt you even know how a. Euro basketball work b. the actual details of the situation or c. any real interest other than cheating allegations.

The NCAA, UK and the Kanter's all agreed the money wasn't the issue. What was at issue was how the money was dispersed. The Kanter's were offered the money to pay for Enes' tuition (he was enrolled in one of the most prestigious and pricey private schools in the country to prepare him academically), private tutoring that would travel with him, and other educational expenses. This is all documented and allowed under the rules. Where the violation occurs is the NCAA says the Club should have paid those expenses instead of giving the money to pay them.

Kanter had several multi-million dollar contract offers on the table in Europe (both in Turkey, Greece and the continent), was eligible for the 18 million dollar pool for the Turkish National Team and his father is a world renowned (and wealthy) professor of molecular biology and considered an expert in his field. But hey, they threw it all away for 33k (13,000 of which sits unused in a Club account that was set up for these expenses) and wasted all this time and effort to try to "fool" everybody.

I happen to know quiet alot about Turkey since I am from a country close to it. A Molecular Biology Professor in Turkey is not considered as wealthy.

Go Gophers

This is funny. Not because of the self-righteous nature of the scolding you present, but because it fits the vast majority of the Kentucky fanbase to a tee. That being the case, please refrain from telling others how they lack intellectual ability and possess an inability to seperate the rational mind from bias. Kentucky fans are about as biased a bunch as there is and you fall right in line with that dynamic, all of which makes you and your "the truth" handle even more comedic.

I call it like I see it. I see facts, I use context and I make my judgments based upon them. I don't subscribe to any particular mode of "group think" nor do I make wild and baseless accusations based on nothing more than whim or fancy. Sorry if that offends.

I happen to know quiet alot about Turkey since I am from a country close to it. A Molecular Biology Professor in Turkey is not considered as wealthy.

Go Gophers

I don't think his family's money comes solely from his work in academia. I'm sure you can enlighten us on the systemic differences in the Euro model and the American one.

I call it like I see it. I see facts, I use context and I make my judgments based upon them. I don't subscribe to any particular mode of "group think" nor do I make wild and baseless accusations based on nothing more than whim or fancy. Sorry if that offends.

Newsflash: You're not the only one that does these things. And with the track record you have established of defending each and every little thing Calipari does, despite the MANY shady situations with which he has been associated, I don't find you any more "enlightened" or privy to
"the truth" as you seem to think you are. Rather, you're just another biased Kentucky fan who expresses his or her opinion that makes Kentucky out to be the shangri-la of college basketball. Sorry, that's the way most over here see it.

What I'm sorry about is the original laugh and point at UK thread is gone from Planet Red Hoops.

It was classic. Hundreds of pictures of people laughing and pointing at Kentucky when something went wrong.

This is the only one I could find-

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=17&f=2755&t=6688898

I don't think his family's money comes solely from his work in academia. I'm sure you can enlighten us on the systemic differences in the Euro model and the American one.

That was my point. If he is wealthy, his money must have come form other corropted ways that is very common in Turkey. I would not loose the reputaion of my school on a kid from Turkey who may have been paid under the table even as a highschool student.

Go Gophers

Newsflash: You're not the only one that does these things. And with the track record you have established of defending each and every little thing Calipari does, despite the MANY shady situations with which he has been associated, I don't find you any more "enlightened" or privy to
"the truth" as you seem to think you are. Rather, you're just another biased Kentucky fan who expresses his or her opinion that makes Kentucky out to be the shangri-la of college basketball. Sorry, that's the way most over here see it.

Why don't you discuss the matter at hand and not resort to bashing Kentucky or Calipari? You can't because the two are linked in your mind. I disagree because this is not only about Kanter it's also about thousands of kids overseas not being beholden to clubs or held hostage because they want to come to America and pursue other opportunities. Combine the AAU system (and I'm talking about going to down to the U8 ranks) and the professional leagues of sport in this country and you have an idea on how these systems work.

This kid is not a professional. He was not compensated like one and the bone of contention is over how the money was handled for his educational expenses: 13,000 of which sits unused and the full amount has been offered to be repaid. The problem is at somewhere like Oak Hill that same money is paid by the school itself for basketball prep players. In Europe the money is given to the players to be dispersed in the way they're families see fit by the club.

That was my point. If he is wealthy, his money must have come form other corropted ways that is very common in Turkey. I would not loose the reputaion of my school on a kid from Turkey who may have been paid under the table even as a highschool student.

Go Gophers

So now Enes Kanter (who was born and raised partially in Switzerland) is a corrupt member of some evil Turkish criminal syndicate?

You're not Armenian are you?

So now Enes Kanter (who was born and raised partially in Switzerland) is a corrupt member of some evil Turkish criminal syndicate?

You're not Armenian are you?

Too funny. I don't really know anything about this kid. I just noted something about the corrupted system in Turkey. Again, I would not risk the reputaion of my school for such a player.

No, I am not Armenian.

Go Gophers

Too funny. I don't really know anything about this kid. I just noted something about the corrupted system in Turkey. Again, I would not risk the reputaion of my school for such a player.

That's kind of a racist statement. So because the Turkish government is corrupt (and I really don't know anymore about that than what I've read so I'll just defer to you on this matter) then all Turks must be corrupt?

the truth, why are you so insecure? any time something bad happens to uk you run here and defend the program. you really care that much what we think? really?

odd

That's kind of a racist statement. So because the Turkish government is corrupt (and I really don't know anymore about that than what I've read so I'll just defer to you on this matter) then all Turks must be corrupt?

Very True. My bad. My best friend is from Turkey. We argue like this all the time so I thought that I was responding to his emails. I won't be making comments like that on this board again.

Go Gophers

the truth, why are you so insecure? any time something bad happens to uk you run here and defend the program. you really care that much what we think? really?

odd

Because I read this board and comment on what I want to? I'm sure threads like these would do well on their own as an echo chamber but I like to interject from time to time.

Why don't you discuss the matter at hand and not resort to bashing Kentucky or Calipari? You can't because the two are linked in your mind. I disagree because this is not only about Kanter it's also about thousands of kids overseas not being beholden to clubs or held hostage because they want to come to America and pursue other opportunities. Combine the AAU system (and I'm talking about going to down to the U8 ranks) and the professional leagues of sport in this country and you have an idea on how these systems work.

This kid is not a professional. He was not compensated like one and the bone of contention is over how the money was handled for his educational expenses: 13,000 of which sits unused and the full amount has been offered to be repaid. The problem is at somewhere like Oak Hill that same money is paid by the school itself for basketball prep players. In Europe the money is given to the players to be dispersed in the way they're families see fit by the club.

Calipari deserves to be bashed. Why? Because he has been associated with previous scandals at two schools that resulted in forfeited Final Four appearances. Now, of course with your Kentucky-biased views, you'll come back with the all too familiar "Cal didn't know anything in any of those other cases" and "Cal was completely cleared of any wrongdoing" and so on and so forth. But as you so eloquently intimated earlier, facts speak for themselves and the fact is that Cal was coach at two schools with vacated final fours. Therefore, he is held under really tight scrutiny. Sorry, that's the way things like this go.

As for Kanter, why did his family hold on to the extra $13,000 in the first place? If they were truly interested in keeping his amateur status, give the money back. Did they? No. Why? I have no idea other than to assume because they wanted to keep it for later use. Now that it's getting them into trouble, they want to give it back. In other words, it looks like the Kanters (and Kentucky's fans) want to play both sides of the issue. He got paid, but didn't use the money he was paid, therefore he can't be professional. However, the NCAA's bottom line is this: He was COMPENSATED for playing basketball in a way that more than covered his expenses and then held on to the money. Thus, the amount of money doesn't matter. It's the fact that he made a salary while playing basketball that was in excess of his admitted expenses. Therein lies Kanter's problem imo.

Top Bottom