Kent writes about running backs

I think one of those two guys could be the Day 1 starter, but I can't lie, I'm kinda hoping one of the freshmen come in and just light it up, just to bring a freshness to the running game that just seems kinda stale at this point.

I think one of those two guys could be the Day 1 starter, but I can't lie, I'm kinda hoping one of the freshmen come in and just light it up, just to bring a freshness to the running game that just seems kinda stale at this point.

I'll put it even more succinctly: I just want the Gophers to light it up...

I've always liked Eskridge's patience as a running back, but he sometimes is a bit late to see the hole and react. He could have used a red-shirt year. I think if he can prove to be a bit more decisive in his running style while letting the play develop, he is going to surprise some people.

Bennett is a solid, all-around guy who will always be used to some extent. He's a great situational player.

If we can get contribution from at least one of the freshman and avoid injuries, I think we'll be okay at running-back.

Well, our leading rusher last year had 376 yards. Let's just say that we have no way to go but up in regards to our running attack.

Eskridge and Bennett combine a lack of power with no breakaway speed. Too often they go down at first contact. They have no base, carry no load, and cannot deliver a blow. They are not elusive in the open field. They both are too small to play Big 10 at its highest level.

Having said that, and having only seen film on Lamonte Edwards he is the real deal. I think you are going to see the second comming of Darrell Thompson. I think Lamonte committed to Minnesota because he saw the lack of a power back on the roster. So, Lamonte is my guy.

having only seen film on Lamonte Edwards he is the real deal. I think you are going to see the second comming of Darrell Thompson.

Man, I really want to believe that you are right! I can't wait to see this guy in fall camp. The only regrettable thing is that he didn't (couldn't?) graduate early so he could be here this spring.

I think if we are depending on Eskridge and Bennett to get us some yards then we are in trouble. I think one of the freshmen will step up and have a big year.

Eskridge and Bennett combine a lack of power with no breakaway speed. Too often they go down at first contact. They have no base, carry no load, and cannot deliver a blow. They are not elusive in the open field. They both are too small to play Big 10 at its highest level.

Having said that, and having only seen film on Lamonte Edwards he is the real deal. I think you are going to see the second comming of Darrell Thompson. I think Lamonte committed to Minnesota because he saw the lack of a power back on the roster. So, Lamonte is my guy.

Yep, they brought weak tea. So much so that when Whaley touched the ball he looked like OJ. (the good OJ)

Husker will like that Lamonte holds the Woodbury Dead Lift School Record at 665 pounds.
Video:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dKVW1anyOek&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dKVW1anyOek&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I think if we are depending on Eskridge and Bennett to get us some yards then we are in trouble. I think one of the freshmen will step up and have a big year.

How about Devon White? His bio had him leading Broward County in rushing both his junior and senior seasons. The thing I'm confused about is that his team was only 4-6 last year. I'm hoping that he was a great player on an average team. It just seems to me that teams with dominant running backs should win a high proportion of their games.

How about Devon White? His bio had him leading Broward County in rushing both his junior and senior seasons. The thing I'm confused about is that his team was only 4-6 last year. I'm hoping that he was a great player on an average team. It just seems to me that teams with dominant running backs should win a high proportion of their games.

You'd think a team with a dominant running back would definitely be above average. However, football in Broward County is a bit goofy. I can't really think of anything to compare it to, but there are LOTS of really good players that come from there, but not many good teams.

Let's pretend for a second that the Minneapolis city conference produced the majority of football recruits in this state. That's kind of what Broward is like - although the word "majority" wouldn't be applied.

But Devon WRIGHT is a big wild card here. He could be the best of the incoming backs or he could be the worst (I'm leaning towards the former). Having never met the kid (or read anything about him personally) it's tough to know how he'll adjust to Big Ten football far away from home. If his transition to college is smooth, there is no reason why he wouldn't be the most productive back from the 2010 class

How about Devon White?

87ToppsDevonWhite.jpg

Yeah, he's a hell of a player. I'm surprised he has any eligibility left. Maybe he could help John Anderson's squad next spring. He's gotta be at least 50, though.

The thing I'm confused about is that his team was only 4-6 last year.

That's not the only thing you're confused about. ;)

87ToppsDevonWhite.jpg

Yeah, he's a hell of a player. I'm surprised he has any eligibility left. Maybe he could help John Anderson's squad next spring. He's gotta be at least 50, though.

That's not the only thing you're confused about. ;)

Good catch! OK, Devon Wright, I'll be sure to keep the name straight from now on.

I said something similar about Edwards a couple months ago. He passes the eye test. You can't know much about a freshman with any degree of certainty until they're actually playing in a game, and if he does play right away I think Lamonte will have some fumbling problems, but in terms of size, speed and coordination, he looks outstanding. People his size that move like that don't grow on trees.

Top Bottom