Keep your powder dry

balds

Reaction score
DT - Kirksey, Edwards
DE - Hagemann, Garin/Gregory-Mchghee/Wilhite
LB- Cooper, Reeves, Maresh, Tinsley, Singleton, L. Edwards??
DB - Carter, Watkins, Lewis

OL- Michael, Olson, Gjere
RB- Huff, Whaley, L. Edwards??
WR - Hawkins, Allen, Stoudamire, Kiese, M. Hill
QB- Gray, Alipate, Parish

Let's just screw it and start over, right?

If all it took to win was recruiting then Charlie Weis would probably have a national title now. If all of these guys are so much better then why are not more of them playing instead of the guys in front of them who are supposedly so much worse. After all Brewsters job is on the line you would think he would have his best players out there.

If all it took to win was recruiting then Charlie Weis would probably have a national title now. If all of these guys are so much better then why are not more of them playing instead of the guys in front of them who are supposedly so much worse. After all Brewsters job is on the line you would think he would have his best players out there.

I think the reason most of those that were listed are not playing is because aren't most of them redshirting? I haven't checked for sure but I think most of those are. And to be honest I really don't think Maturi will consider Brew's job to be on the line until next year considering the Mason debacle. Brew is safe this year but if this tear replicates into next year consider him gone.

I am inclined to agree with balds, as usual. There is a lot of talent that
Brewster recruited the last couple years and they should be just coming into
their own next year.

As frustrated as I am with how today went, I still don't think you replace
Brewster at this point. You have to give him one more year and evaluate.
He had better find a way to get this offense on track next year as he is
probably starting to run out of time at that point.

Like it or not, he will go into next season in the hot seat and I think Ron
Zook from Illinois will be, too. If our offense next year still looks like it did today, then I just don't see how Brewster has much of a future as a head coach --- anywhere. Recruiting good players is nice, but you have to do something
when they get here, too.

5 years

I know I'm probably in the minority at this point, but I beleive that all college coaches (in any sport) deserve to have their recruits comprise the entire roster before the threat of being fired arises. Brewsters oldest recruits are only sophomores, and many of them probably should have red-shirted but were pressed into duty out of necessity.

Well balds, I am inclined to agree with you in most cases. However, this assistant
coaching carousel as well as a knack for taking costly penalties and this putrid offense three years running really give me doubts that Brewster really knows what he is doing.

You have to give him another year, but like I said, if this offense still looks as
confused and as big of a joke as it is right now, then how many more years do
you really want to go..........I think you are just wasting your time at that point.

DT - Kirksey, Edwards
DE - Hagemann, Garin/Gregory-Mchghee/Wilhite
LB- Cooper, Reeves, Maresh, Tinsley, Singleton, L. Edwards??
DB - Carter, Watkins, Lewis

OL- Michael, Olson, Gjere
RB- Huff, Whaley, L. Edwards??
WR - Hawkins, Allen, Stoudamire, Kiese, M. Hill
QB- Gray, Alipate, Parish

Let's just screw it and start over, right?

Well, most of the those players have proven nothing yet. Guys like Watkins, Lewis, etc are far from a sure thing to be even halfway decent.

I don't see a lot of upside on the DL. They can't rush the passer to save their lives right now and I'm not sure that will change. Edwards has done nothing to impress IMO.

I agree with GopherGod on the recruiting/coaching front. There may be some good players in there (we'll see) but that doesn't make Fitch a good OC and it certainly doesn't stop opposing teams from running the bubble screen 25 times per game for 250 yards with little recognition of how to stop it. The coaching staff is poor at best IMO.

Fair assesment

But What do you do when you can't run the ball vs. SDSU? As offensive coaches, how do you scheme when you have no hope of effectively run blocking or protecting the passer? What plays do you call when your offensive line gets destroyed every play and your QB can't hit a wide open receiver 6 yards away? Ultimately, I agree it all goes back to the head coach. But do you think they tell the team "ok, offensive line, everybody lose their individual matchup, and when you can, hold and commit false starts. Adam, if you have a guy standing wide open 5 yards away, make sure you skip it a yard in front of him. And hold the ball as long as you possibly can, never throw it away to avoid a sack".

love the red green reference. i haven't seen that show in forever.

I think if a Big Ten team can't run the ball vs. South Dakota St. at home
then you are in serious trouble, especially when your QB has regressed and
gotten worse each game. Then it has got to come back to coaching because
your schemes and game plans that you brought in are not working.

You can't give an excuse like "Well we don't have the talent" because 4 years
ago we were running the ball all over the place with a coaching staff that knew
how to teach it and how to run it. All of a sudden we can't run and we can't pass
against a division 1-AA team......unbelievable it has gotten to this point.

that talent is great. Brewster does not have the ability to exploit it. He must leave.

Top Bottom