KARE 11: Winfield Jr. leaving his own mark in Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per KARE 11:

Winfield Jr. grew up around the football field. On Sundays, he'd be at every home game. Even when the Vikings were on the road, football was always top of mind.

"I remember watching the game and playing football with my little brothers while he's playing. We'd be playing 'Crush the Carrier' or something. I had a fun childhood."

That enjoyment, along with his passion for football, has followed him to the University of Minnesota where he is turning heads as the starting safety for the 11th-ranked Gophers.

Winfield Jr. leads the Big Ten, and is tied for second in the nation with seven interceptions, including two in Minnesota's win over Penn State. The redshirt sophomore was also named a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which is awarded to the best defensive player in college football.

"I think he's one of the best game changers in all of college football," insists Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck. "When you have guys that can literally change the game with one play, change the game by how hard they play, be disruptive of teams' offenses, that's what he's brought. He's a special player at any level. I'm just glad I don't have to play against him. He's on our team."

Go Gophers!!

Winfield is one of those special players that's a joy to watch. This Gopher team has a few of them. Kudos to Coughlin too for helping pull in other guys.

Winfield is one of those special players that's a joy to watch. This Gopher team has a few of them. Kudos to Coughlin too for helping pull in other guys.

+o4

Top Bottom