Justin Pierce: How can Minnesota still win the Big Ten?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pierce:

As devastating as these two losses were, this is not the end of the road for the Golden Gophers. Two losses to two Big Ten East opponents does not lead to a lot of disaster because they have yet to play anyone in the Big Ten West, where the arguably weaker side of the conference lies. If this team wins out, they will be in the Big Ten championship game.

Michigan and Maryland are bad losses, lets not misconstrue that, but the team’s defense can compete against Northwestern, Purdue and Wisconsin, who could have their season in jeopardy due to the team’s canceled game against Nebraska. Wisconsin was the only team that the Golden Gophers had to fear in the Big Ten West before the season started. They could face some good teams like Northwestern and Purdue if they continue to win their games.

Go Gophers!!

tl;dr We may have been unable to stop Maryland, but surely things will be better against Wisconsin!

100% this is true mathematically

If Minnesota wins out, I would predict they win the west as I predict Wisconsin to be ineligible and I predict neither northwestern nor Purdue to win out

I do think Minnesota finishes between 3-5 and 5-3 if they play 8 games.

We all know how, but don't want to say it.

tl;dr We may have been unable to stop Maryland, but surely things will be better against Wisconsin!
Stranger things have happened. I expect the defense to improve...Friday was the bottom out IMHO. Even a minimal improvement flips most remaining games to potential wins. Bucky will potentially go three weeks with out practicing.

If Minnesota wins out, I would predict they win the west as I predict Wisconsin to be ineligible and I predict neither northwestern nor Purdue to win out

If we win out, it's literally impossible for Northwestern and Purdue to win out... since one of their games is us...

If we win out, it's literally impossible for Northwestern and Purdue to win out... since one of their games is us...
I was talking about games excluding us.

to win the west the following need to happen:
Minnesota wins out.
Northwestern loses one game other than us
Purdue loses one game other than us
Wisconsin gets one more game canceled Or loses one game other than us.

We can win if enough of the other teams get COVID cancellations. Sometimes you just have to be the only person who shows up.

We can win if enough of the other teams get COVID cancellations. Sometimes you just have to be the only person who shows up.
At 0-2 I think Gophs need to play and win as many games as possible.

False. When the conference average drops below 6.5 games played, teams who have played 5 games are eligible.
When it drops below 4.5, teams that played 4 are eligible

At least that is my understanding

False. When the conference average drops below 6.5 games played, teams who have played 5 games are eligible.
When it drops below 4.5, teams that played 4 are eligible

At least that is my understanding
Rats.

Get real people. Who knows what will happen with BIG covid restrictions But considering all things, the Gophers will not win the West.

Bolded: I think that is fantasy. It could happen, but I doubt it until it does.

Top Bottom